Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Problems converting to wfp from trad

Mx19

Hi all!

I have a small trad round and have recently started using wfp for new customers. I’m going to try and convert everyone over (apart from the jobs I got solely because I do trad). Is there anything I should look out for or best ways to sell it to the customer?

many thanks!

max

i typed up a letter and handed it out to my customers when i switched 9 years ago but i dont think you need to these days as its a lot more common.....

just switch them over and take your time....youll be slow at first until you ve done a few cleans (esp if you normally never cleaned the frames when 100% trad).i also put some prices up straight away as i could finally clean the awkward windows over connys/extensions,skylights etc.....

be prepared to lose the odd customer......i lost at least 3 or 4 jobs BUT in the years since i switched ive picked up a lot more BECAUSE i use WFP......

good luck!?

I'd tell the customers that you have invested in better, safer, more modern equipment. That you will now be able to fully wash their frames and sills and not just the glass. That you will be using pure water from start to finish, no reusing water from wìndow to wìndow. That you are no longer prepared to have constantly wet hands and the accompanying risk of arthritis when the modern equipment is so much better.

If they don't want to accept it, it shows they don't care about your health and wellbeing. Be fully prepared to let them go. Once you're practiced and confident you'll soon replace them. 

Thanks a lot lads, helps a lot.

Also, I’ve heard that the first couple of cleans could leave spots due to old soap etc being extracted from edges? Is this a worry or are there any tricks to minimise it?

Thanks a lot lads, helps a lot.

Also, I’ve heard that the first couple of cleans could leave spots due to old soap etc being extracted from edges? Is this a worry or are there any tricks to minimise it?
Make sure you treat the vents and frames with respect, flush vents on 1st clean if they even appear like they could run dirty; and steralise the surroundings 100% ie especially upper and sides of frames because this will run directly onto your glass.

You'll use a lot of water on these first cleans, and separately do all vents/frames and then come back to the first window for glass only...vents will have stopped dripping mostly by now you see.

Rinse and rinse again on glass..in a zig zag fashion and try to make it sheet on the glass as best you can. Depending on the glass type this will or wont happen. Finally scrub window sills and spray water off the edge of the window sill as you finish them ..or pull brush along window sill with water off for upper window sills.

You'll not get any soap issue if you rinse well, but more worry about sterilising the environment around the glass and you wont go far wrong. 

*if they are home ask them to close vents and make them know its only this first clean you have to flush the vents on, because you may still get the odd water mark inside the window. Let them know the advantages of wfp and be open and honest if they ask anything. Good luck 

When I changed over I told customers it was for my safety and to comply with health and safety . Only lost one " don't want that it will make my walls wet " thought its not worth the hassle but what happens when it rains .

I don't get the mark of zorro rinse technique this old zig zag, rinse left to right from top to bottom methodically more so on a first clean a first clean will take up to 3 times longer and use 3-4 times as much water than a regular clean, do all jobs wfp otherwise you are making a rod for your own back if you don't stand firm if done properly you will have no issues at all, I know a window cleaner who does wfp and trad because he isn't through with wfp and the customers that don't like the wfp he does trad it simply makes no sense at all 

I don't get the mark of zorro rinse technique this old zig zag, rinse left to right from top to bottom methodically more so on a first clean a first clean will take up to 3 times longer and use 3-4 times as much water than a regular clean, do all jobs wfp otherwise you are making a rod for your own back if you don't stand firm if done properly you will have no issues at all, I know a window cleaner who does wfp and trad because he isn't through with wfp and the customers that don't like the wfp he does trad it simply makes no sense at all 
Agree with your comments regarding this attitude. His reasoning just doesn't make sense.

What customer's (home owner's) don't realise is that they are responsible for ensuring a safe working environment for any contractors working on their property. It was about 15 years ago when this topic came up and I used it quite extensively when the H&S ladder regulations came out in 2005. If memory serves me this home owner's responsibility for providing a safe working environment dates back to an Act of Parliament in 1954.

15 years ago we had to justify why we converted from trad to wfp to some of our customers. Nowadays, everyone knows about wfp. I don't remember when I last had to explain the wfp method we use to a new customer.

We lost one customer who insisted we clean his windows traditionally. We refused and they dumped us. They took on another cleaner who has also gone wfp as well but this is the only house they now do traditionally. What I can't understand it that we used to clean 4 velux windows in the roof wfp. Obviously, their current cleaner doesn't clean these. It just doesn't make sense.

Our businesses. Our work methods. We use the safest and best equipment for our health and well-being, and they get a better job done. No negotiation with customers telling us to do it differently. Let them go back to doing their laundry with a tin bath and washboard and paraffin lighting instead of a washing machine and electric lighting if they want. They won't of course. 

I can't be doing with customers trying to make my life harder. We work hard enough already and in most weather conditions. 

Hold the line, boys. 

i typed up a letter and handed it out to my customers when i switched 9 years ago but i dont think you need to these days as its a lot more common.....

just switch them over and take your time....youll be slow at first until you ve done a few cleans (esp if you normally never cleaned the frames when 100% trad).i also put some prices up straight away as i could finally clean the awkward windows over connys/extensions,skylights etc.....

be prepared to lose the odd customer......i lost at least 3 or 4 jobs BUT in the years since i switched ive picked up a lot more BECAUSE i use WFP......

good luck!?
had exactly the same experience (9 years ago too, after 8 years tradding) you have to stand firm and hold your ground.  

some cleaners where I am do half jobs wfp and the other half trad... madness! you'll be able to get through twice as much work doing all wfp and therefore twice the turnover!

I lost two about 6 months in....both said they wanted me to trad them again....I just said no and missed them the next time round.....neither of them speak to me when they see me doing the rest of the street...lol.

@Chris33I didn't realise it was your comment I take it all back well half of it ? as I know you are very thorough, but I think a newbie needs to be more methodical and even us seasoned lads on hydrophobic glass. 

I lost two about 6 months in....both said they wanted me to trad them again....I just said no and missed them the next time round.....neither of them speak to me when they see me doing the rest of the street...lol.
haha how childish. its like around 78/79 when some doggedly stuck to wearing flares despite them being totally unpractical for anything, except my mates sister who made a dodgy skirt out of a leg off a pair ?

@Chris33I didn't realise it was your comment I take it all back well half of it ? as I know you are very thorough, but I think a newbie needs to be more methodical and even us seasoned lads on hydrophobic glass. 
 Haha no offence taken mate. Your dead right as well thought. Hope your well

Agree with your comments regarding this attitude. His reasoning just doesn't make sense.

What customer's (home owner's) don't realise is that they are responsible for ensuring a safe working environment for any contractors working on their property. It was about 15 years ago when this topic came up and I used it quite extensively when the H&S ladder regulations came out in 2005. If memory serves me this home owner's responsibility for providing a safe working environment dates back to an Act of Parliament in 1954.

15 years ago we had to justify why we converted from trad to wfp to some of our customers. Nowadays, everyone knows about wfp. I don't remember when I last had to explain the wfp method we use to a new customer.

We lost one customer who insisted we clean his windows traditionally. We refused and they dumped us. They took on another cleaner who has also gone wfp as well but this is the only house they now do traditionally. What I can't understand it that we used to clean 4 velux windows in the roof wfp. Obviously, their current cleaner doesn't clean these. It just doesn't make sense.
Some people just don't like the fact your done quicker. Their windows can be sparkling, perfectly cleaned and they still arent happy. They need to feel they are getting their pound of flesh.

I also have one old lady who insists I clean her aluminium frames kitchens window trad, she was adamant that there were spots when I did them with a pole even though they were still wet at the time.

Whenever she's out I do them with the pole, she's never complained.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people just don't like the fact your done quicker. Their windows can be sparkling, perfectly cleaned and they still arent happy. They need to feel they are getting their pound of flesh.

I also have one old lady who insists I clean her aluminium frames kitchens window trad, she was adamant that there were spots when I did them with a pole even though they were still wet at the time.

Whenever she's out I do them with the pole, she's never complained.

Unfortunately it mainly happens with the older generation. If you are fast then you do need to slow down when you know someone's at home.

We passed a whole lot of houses over to my son in law to clean.

We was called back numerous times because he didn't clean the windows properly. I returned to each complaint and the reason; he didn't clean them properly because he was too quick. When we did a walk around the windows with the customers I never saw one single issue. all those windows were spotless.

Some accepted it and others cancelled because they didn't believe they were getting value for money.

If you have a full shedule of work then you don't need complainers like these. But if you haven't then you need to try to satisfy all those ones until you are in a position to pick and choose.

We got an old customer (in age not custom) in a 2 bed bungalow cancel because the chemicals we put in our water killed her 2 roses. She was adamant that our water did this. Didn't want to listen that we don't put chemical in the water. Bye, let us know if you want us to continue next time. If we don't hear from her then the chemicals we put in our water killed her roses - I'm not going to convince her otherwise and I'm not going to loose sleep over it either.

Last edited by a moderator:
 Haha no offence taken mate. Your dead right as well thought. Hope your well
Yes I am good thanks mate, I thought about your video and thought it was a really good idea to show how thorough you are and some of us are, great marketing tool as well no doubt 

Yes I am good thanks mate, I thought about your video and thought it was a really good idea to show how thorough you are and some of us are, great marketing tool as well no doubt 
Cheers mate. I am going to buy Adobe illustrator soon and start doing better quality vids. More for the sake of learning something new. 

Back