Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

just did the first quote...

riggy

have been out for afew hours and have just done my first quote.  seemed an alrite bloke.  16 windows quoted 18 pound. little conservatory on the back, quoted 12 pound for that. even 30 all in.  proberly underpriced for many on here. but its what it might lead to that matters at the moment. although im doutful he will call back, said he would talk to the wife first......lolol looking for a way out without sayig no...lol ah well we live in hope...lol

Never worry what others say, it's your business so if you're happy then it's a good price. You will still be getting nervous quoting and waiting for the go ahead until you're earning a decent wage, good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
If thats your first quote then you should be proud of yourself just for pricing confidently, no matter if you get it or not, it sounds realistic and if you build a business on realistic prices youll thank yourself in the long run. I priced similar size houses at 10 or 15 pound starting out ? luckily not too many, maybe have 6 seriously underpriced ones left but thats a number i can cope with

I felt it was about right.  guy asked me how offen i would do them i said it was up to the customer how offen althow 6 to 8 weeks was fairly common choosen time frame. but it was his choice. hes only 5 minets round the corner from me so i can fit them in real easy. shame he didnt go for it. think he would have agreed if it was 20 quid all in. 

Oh dude dont go for the customer picks their own schedule malarkey, get it on a straight monthly or 6 weekly and dont budge on it. Anything to avoid confusion later down the line. You need a regular income and to be able to plan your finances. One offs fair enough take them but charge a premium would be my advise. Dont worry about it not being accepted dude, we all have to face that. You wont pay your own bills on underpriced work better to be brave from the start. We nearly went bust after 6 months it can happen easily, if its not profitable then it will soon tell.

I dont know what your set up is but think of what you've spent already and how you're going to recuperate it.

Hate to say it but the way i see things is if i’m using a £500 pole £35 brush head, pumps £££ van ££££ insurances £££ maintenance spares and repairs work clothes diesel resin ££££ money flying out left right and center before your take home pay then its rent bills council tax food etc etc. underpriced work just wont cut the mustard ?‍♂️ Stay strong man. Wish you all the luck i can

Oh dude dont go for the customer picks their own schedule malarkey, get it on a straight monthly or 6 weekly and dont budge on it. Anything to avoid confusion later down the line. You need a regular income and to be able to plan your finances. One offs fair enough take them but charge a premium would be my advise. Dont worry about it not being accepted dude, we all have to face that. You wont pay your own bills on underpriced work better to be brave from the start. We nearly went bust after 6 months it can happen easily, if its not profitable then it will soon tell.

I dont know what your set up is but think of what you've spent already and how you're going to recuperate it.

Hate to say it but the way i see things is if i’m using a £500 pole £35 brush head, pumps £££ van ££££ insurances £££ maintenance spares and repairs work clothes diesel resin ££££ money flying out left right and center before your take home pay then its rent bills council tax food etc etc. underpriced work just wont cut the mustard ?‍♂️ Stay strong man. Wish you all the luck i can
yer i proberly should hve said 8 week minium. i was slightly stunned and court off gard when he said yes toa quote to be honest. i mean i was out to get quotes and had gon over in my mind all the details about what to say. its just i never thought so earlie on would someone say yes to a quote lol. will be more ready next time I'm hoping 

When I first started I used to offer 2, 4, 6 or 8 weekly. At the start I didn't see an issue offering that. After roughly 80 customers in, I realised I couldn't continue offering that as I was here there and everywhere. 

I now only offer 6 Weekly only, so now I work in a certain radius each week. 

Sticking to only 4 or 6 Weekly only from the get go will be easier for you. 

When you are out quoting, go in all confident like you have been doing it for years. Customers might turn you down if you give out newbie vibes. 

First question I ask every quote , are you looking for a regular window cleaner or just a one off clean?  if they say one off I know where my pricing starts , if they say regular I then tell me what I class as regular for me every 4 or every 8 weeks , people like choice so only saying 6 weekly or nothing will get you more no's then yes's,  you should then have a flyer or business card with a section to write both prices if you want them to go 4 weekly go a little high on the 8 weekly if you want them every 8 go a little high on the 4 weekly it's very important you have a way for the customer to visualise the price as people buy with there eyes not there ears  you can add other sections to flyer or business card to create a package with gutters facia soffits etc this will turn £30 windows into full days work , with 4 and 8 you can have customers on different plans but still fit in nicely with your other work . 

I invite the customer to walk round the house with me while I'm doing the quote, I then ask them questions as I'm doing it and explain how I clean.  I only give them the price once I have explained everything they are getting (direct debit payment, text notification, frames every time etc), I then work out how long it will take me and tell them the first clean takes longer to get the windows and frames thoroughly clean so it is higher for the first one, typically I'll be here for 1.25 to 1.5 hours (this then preps them for a high price) I then work out the regular price and add 50% and give them the first clean price and then the regular price.

'So Mrs Jones, the first clean takes longer to get the job just right getting rid of the build up of dirt so the price is higher on the first clean, it will take me about 1.25 to 1.5 hours, the price for the first clean is £40 and then it's £25 every 4 weeks.  You get a text the day before your clean and the direct debit is processed on the day of your clean which takes around 3 days to leave your account.'

I call it the kick and the kiss approach, go in high then give them the lower price and it sounds better.  Also people seem more understanding about the price if you tell them you are going to be there a while.  

That's a nice approach.

I got stitched up by one where the waiting for the price then said ok great, we are having some building work done so we'll call you after that ?

First question I ask every quote , are you looking for a regular window cleaner or just a one off clean?  if they say one off I know where my pricing starts , if they say regular I then tell me what I class as regular for me every 4 or every 8 weeks , people like choice so only saying 6 weekly or nothing will get you more no's then yes's,  you should then have a flyer or business card with a section to write both prices if you want them to go 4 weekly go a little high on the 8 weekly if you want them every 8 go a little high on the 4 weekly it's very important you have a way for the customer to visualise the price as people buy with there eyes not there ears  you can add other sections to flyer or business card to create a package with gutters facia soffits etc this will turn £30 windows into full days work , with 4 and 8 you can have customers on different plans but still fit in nicely with your other work . 

Offering only 6 Weekly will get you more no's than yes's? 

This isn't facts, you are only saying that because you decided to offer 4 and 8 weekly because you think that only offering 6 will get you more no's. 

It doesn't, I don't advertise only 6 Weekly Window Cleaning. I put in the quote that I will be there every 6 weeks. Very very few say can you come every 8 or 12? And when I say no I only offer 6, some of those very very few will still take every 6 weekly

This isn't facts, you are only saying that because you decided to offer 4 and 8 weekly because you think that only offering 6 will get you more no's. 

It doesn't, I don't advertise only 6 Weekly Window Cleaning. I put in the quote that I will be there every 6 weeks. Very very few say can you come every 8 or 12? And when I say no I only offer 6, some of those very very few will still take every 6 weekly
Snap! Exactly what I do. Hardly anyone asks to have a longer interval.

I invite the customer to walk round the house with me while I'm doing the quote, I then ask them questions as I'm doing it and explain how I clean.  I only give them the price once I have explained everything they are getting (direct debit payment, text notification, frames every time etc), I then work out how long it will take me and tell them the first clean takes longer to get the windows and frames thoroughly clean so it is higher for the first one, typically I'll be here for 1.25 to 1.5 hours (this then preps them for a high price) I then work out the regular price and add 50% and give them the first clean price and then the regular price.

'So Mrs Jones, the first clean takes longer to get the job just right getting rid of the build up of dirt so the price is higher on the first clean, it will take me about 1.25 to 1.5 hours, the price for the first clean is £40 and then it's £25 every 4 weeks.  You get a text the day before your clean and the direct debit is processed on the day of your clean which takes around 3 days to leave your account.'

I call it the kick and the kiss approach, go in high then give them the lower price and it sounds better.  Also people seem more understanding about the price if you tell them you are going to be there a while.  
Good method mate because you can also point out if there is any damage. I.E Leaded windows with the lead lifting off the glass.. So you don't get blamed.

I would keep the schedule spacing simple. I've found 6 weekly to be the sweet spot. That's my standard now, with the exception of some, large, expensive country houses where I will do some in groups at 8 weeks at a higher price. I do a very few at 12 weeks but I charge a lot more for them. It's important to plan for the future and make the diary work as easy as you can for yourself. Ie, 12 weekly is every other time with neighbouring 6 weekly washes. 

Don’t make hard work for yourself. ?

I know I'll get chewed up for this but......  I struggle to see a schedule outside monthly and bi-monthly.  Here's why. 

6 weekly means you need 50% more custom to have a full round than if monthly.  

4 weekly instead of monthly?  This means 13 cleans in a 12 month period as opposed to 12.... I worry that on  those extra long months where a customer will get two cleans in one calendar month they may decide it's too frequent and drop you. 

2 weekly / 4 weekly / 6 weekly / daily / six monthly / on request / 3 full moon in every quarter etc WHAT?  Are you mad? Just a few short months in  and you'll have such scheduling conflicts that it will make you cry

The only way you can pull this off is as a larger multi van operation. 

I believe that as one van or two you can (should) only run 3 options

1: One off

2: Monthly

3: Bi Monthly

Or 4 week / 8 week 

Or 6 week / 12 week 

Which ever suits your life style best. 

Monthly / Bi Monthly is how I was trained. 4 weeks to every month so when a month has a few day left over at the end it's a bonus long weekend for a break or some gutters etc. 

Never let a customer dictate a schedule to you be sure you are the one telling them what they can have and let them choose a 'choice' that suits you. 

We are 70% monthly 30% bi-monthly (at a premium of course)  the lads will do say 25 monthly jobs today with 5 bi-monthly. Next month the same 25 monthly with an alternate 5 bi-monthly customers so it all fits nicely. 

Of course before the chewing starts this is just how we do it. 

I only offer 6 weekly now , i used to offer 4 or 8 .When i quote i walk the property with them ask them if they want a regular  clean - tell them all my customers are 6 weekly because in my 10 years experiance its the best frequancy for me and them, i actually reckon customers are more obliged to go for 6 and only 6 because 4 is "too soon" and 8 is "abit long" .

I know I'll get chewed up for this but......  I struggle to see a schedule outside monthly and bi-monthly.  Here's why. 

6 weekly means you need 50% more custom to have a full round than if monthly.  

4 weekly instead of monthly?  This means 13 cleans in a 12 month period as opposed to 12.... I worry that on  those extra long months where a customer will get two cleans in one calendar month they may decide it's too frequent and drop you. 

2 weekly / 4 weekly / 6 weekly / daily / six monthly / on request / 3 full moon in every quarter etc WHAT?  Are you mad? Just a few short months in  and you'll have such scheduling conflicts that it will make you cry

The only way you can pull this off is as a larger multi van operation. 

I believe that as one van or two you can (should) only run 3 options

1: One off

2: Monthly

3: Bi Monthly

Or 4 week / 8 week 

Or 6 week / 12 week 

Which ever suits your life style best. 

Monthly / Bi Monthly is how I was trained. 4 weeks to every month so when a month has a few day left over at the end it's a bonus long weekend for a break or some gutters etc. 

Never let a customer dictate a schedule to you be sure you are the one telling them what they can have and let them choose a 'choice' that suits you. 

We are 70% monthly 30% bi-monthly (at a premium of course)  the lads will do say 25 monthly jobs today with 5 bi-monthly. Next month the same 25 monthly with an alternate 5 bi-monthly customers so it all fits nicely. 

Of course before the chewing starts this is just how we do it. 
exactly how i do it...monthly or bi monthly only,gives a bit of wriggle room over a 4 week strict schedule for add ons;bad weather days or holidays etc

Was it more or less than what you where charging? ?

It is are marketing fact that most people particular women like more then one choice when buying ask your wife or girlfriend. I used the 6 weekly clean just as an example , I would of said the same thing if you were just offering 8 weekly clean or just a 4 weekly clean, also if for a good reason your 4 weekly customer needs to be skipped its only 4 weeks before you get paid instead of 6 weekly , another reason why I think its not as good as 4 or 8 weekly cleaning basis ,

I only offer 6 weekly now , i used to offer 4 or 8 .When i quote i walk the property with them ask them if they want a regular  clean - tell them all my customers are 6 weekly because in my 10 years experiance its the best frequancy for me and them, i actually reckon customers are more obliged to go for 6 and only 6 because 4 is "too soon" and 8 is "abit long" .
Same here, I got fed up with people saying come every 2 months when I offered monthly.

It almost never happens with 6 weekly, so I didn't find it took long to build up six weeks work. No longer than it would with half monthly and half 2 monthly. Anyway 4.5 weeks in a month so only 33% more customers needed.

It is are marketing fact that most people particular women like more then one choice when buying ask your wife or girlfriend. I used the 6 weekly clean just as an example , I would of said the same thing if you were just offering 8 weekly clean or just a 4 weekly clean, also if for a good reason your 4 weekly customer needs to be skipped its only 4 weeks before you get paid instead of 6 weekly , another reason why I think its not as good as 4 or 8 weekly cleaning basis ,
Until your 8 weekly one wants to skip ?

Same here, I got fed up with people saying come every 2 months when I offered monthly.

It almost never happens with 6 weekly, so I didn't find it took long to build up six weeks work. No longer than it would with half monthly and half 2 monthly. Anyway 4.5 weeks in a month so only 33% more customers needed.

Until your 8 weekly one wants to skip ?
Better then waiting 12 weeks 

Latest Posts

Back