Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Carry a garden hose as part of your van system ?

DeLaCruz

Just wondered if many others carry their own garden hose with a hookup to fit the pole hose in the van ? Or maybe just an adapter to hook up to customers hoses ? Been doing quite a few gutters lately and using the pure water for that seems like a bit of a waste.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. One full size garden hose reel, two 10 metre mini hozelock reels and three poor quality B&q 10 metre mini hose reels that I started out with for gutters, conservatories and the like. The B&q ones have gone stiff with age and are rarely used now but are still carried for the occasional extra long distance need on really large houses. I also carry a selection of hozelock type tee pieces, plug in joiners, interior and exterior tap connectors and a good selection of spares. 

i used to.........but i just use hot pure water on everything now from normal window cleaning to conny roofs,fascias,etc,it saves time plus i only work short days these days so dont run out of water and i only take on the odd add on job here and there......

Just wondered if many others carry their own garden hose with a hookup to fit the pole hose in the van ? Or maybe just an adapter to hook up to customers hoses ? Been doing quite a few gutters lately and using the pure water for that seems like a bit of a waste.
I carry as standard 2x 30m hose reels 1x 15m hose 1x 4 foot hose and a big dry bag full or spareconnectors and fittings 

50m hose on the van for my pressure washer setup I am sorting out if it ever stops raining but used for conny roofs etc also

Needs to be long as pressure washer is to be mounted in the van and I have a smaller mobile one for awkward jobs

Garden hose will give much better flow of water for rinsing all the dirt off the roof far quicker , then after the dirt is gone a quick rinse with pure just to finish off 

I promise you if you clean a glass conny roof by blasting it with tap water and then rinsing with pure will save you at least an hour on the job and a few hundred litres of pure. 
this is NOT a good idea if the tap water from the customers tap is high TDS though......a lot of my customers water leaves chalky deposits on the glass,ill stick to very hot pure water for glass roofs(and virosol!).....?

this is NOT a good idea if the tap water from the customers tap is high TDS though......a lot of my customers water leaves chalky deposits on the glass,ill stick to very hot pure water for glass roofs(and virosol!).....?

it will  be fine we regularly do jobs with a tds of 450 this way providing you do a final very quick rub with the pole then rinse with pure no issues at all .

Our water is 300+ and I've done countless glass roofs this way, wouldn't do one without outside tap, and never had a problem. 

I like the fact that if I use the customer's water I can get stuck in and use as much as I like to deluge everything I need to, from the gutters etc, to the wìndows and the conservatories. I wash and rinse everything thoroughly and then just quickly go over the glass to finish with the purefied. This means that two of us can sometimes do as many as three spring cleans in a hard day, and have plenty purefied water with us. If we didn't use the customer's water we would probably run out after one spring clean. 

Notice quite a few hoselock recommendations itt - i am looking to invest a hose this week and want something that is high quality, doesn't get kinks as much as a regular garden hose, and ideally for good value - will be looking for either a 30M or 50M one. Any recommendations on best buys - also not fussed about spending more if it means a long term worthy investment - thanks in advance as always 

50m would be very long, bulky and heavy. We also use the hozelock mini hose reels. All the above are only used when we are using the customer's water for spring clean type wash downs. For normal wìndow washes we use 6mm microbore. 

Latest Posts

Back