Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New to wfp streaks!!

Mcsweeney

Hi guys, I have been on the forum for a couple of months just reading up on a lot of advice. I have recently started up wfp cleaning. The pic is of my house and I seem to get the same streak in the middle of the large windows when it has dried. The rest of the window seems to be ok. Any advice on this would help a lot. Maybe the way I’m rinsing. 

DC7309FA-422B-43E3-9431-93828F46FABE.jpeg

Hi guys, I have been on the forum for a couple of months just reading up on a lot of advice. I have recently started up wfp cleaning. The pic is of my house and I seem to get the same streak in the middle of the large windows when it has dried. The rest of the window seems to be ok. Any advice on this would help a lot. Maybe the way I’m rinsing. 

View attachment 16834

You could get this from time to time. I would now go back and clean and rinse the glass only and inspect the results later.

As this is your own home wash to whole window tomorrow and see what happens.

We used to find this a lot with first cleans going over to wfp from trad. We found in most cases it didn't happen on the second or third clean.

This is why we say to wash, scrub and rinse the whole window and frame and then come back when the window has stopped dripping and wash the rinse the glass only.

Another observation. When was that opener opened? Washing and rinsing water can get into the window frame past the seals and drip out the bottom drain holes. If you open the window just after you have washed it then that water could run out of the vent holes and down the glass under it.

If the rest of the windows are ok then I wouldn't think it was your rinsing technique.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. Makes sense I will definitely wash the glass again tomorrow. I only opened the window just before the pic but the streak was already there. Would you dry vents or top seals or wait to dry before rinsing in the future. Thank you. 

Tell them you don’t charge any extra for the streaky finish 

I’d give the whole window another scrub, especially the rubber sills/seals? ?

Then wait 90 seconds or more then re rinse that bottom middle pane from exactly 1 inch below frame, but do it steadily and don’t get that frame & sill/seal wet again. 

Thanks for the advice ? 

Tell them you don’t charge any extra for the streaky finish 

I’d give the whole window another scrub, especially the rubber sills/seals? ?

Then wait 90 seconds or more then re rinse that bottom middle pane from exactly 1 inch below frame, but do it steadily and don’t get that frame & sill/seal wet again. 

That’s not streaks it’s a run line of dirty water that has come out of a vent or the top closer bringing dirt with it , clean the top closer more thoroughly and it will be fine , it’s just down to experience and practice 

When there's a streak it's nearly always a trail coming from something directly above as the guys have said, especially on the first clean or two. I used to lose sleep over the darn things when I was starting out. Now I make sure to really wash out any vents or suspect areas like the underneath of opening fanlight windows. Once they've been thoroughly washed a few times in the early days, they shouldn't need too much, if any, extra on subsequent washes. It's a worry to you now but it will come right. Especially in the early days you'll probably be doing quite a few houses that haven't been done for a good while so there'll be a a lot of dirt hidden in nooks and crannies. 

Teething troubles buddy. You'll get past them, and probably won't know yourself before long. ?

Thanks guys. Makes sense I will definitely wash the glass again tomorrow. I only opened the window just before the pic but the streak was already there. Would you dry vents or top seals or wait to dry before rinsing in the future. Thank you. 
I wouldn't be drying anything. Wash and rinse it thoroughly and it will come right. 

I only dry top frames and vents on a first clean....sometimes, its hard to describe but with experience you cant just tell when a window is likely to leave run marks or not.

Generally avoid vents after the first clean

Generally avoid vents after the first clean

See this is what I don't get? After you've give the vents a good flush out and clean on that first clean, why would you then leave them for the dirt to build back up potentially causing more problems for yourself should you say accidentally run over them again with the brush?? For me once I know those vents after that first clean I want to KEEP them clean by simply running the brush over them EVERY clean. Am I missing something here?

See this is what I don't get? After you've give the vents a good flush out and clean on that first clean, why would you then leave them for the dirt to build back up potentially causing more problems for yourself should you say accidentally run over them again with the brush?? For me once I know those vents after that first clean I want to KEEP them clean by simply running the brush over them EVERY clean. Am I missing something here?
I do exactly that. I always wash the vents every time. For exactly the reason you pointed out. 

I do exactly that. I always wash the vents every time. For exactly the reason you pointed out. 

I'm just puzzled. It literally take 2 seconds to run ya brush over the (clean) vents each clean just to keep that dirt away and from building up. If it does build up not only is it causing a problem for yourself but also surely the customer is going to notice?

I'm just puzzled. It literally take 2 seconds to run ya brush over the (clean) vents each clean just to keep that dirt away and from building up. If it does build up not only is it causing a problem for yourself but also surely the customer is going to notice?
I think so, Suhrly. Dirty vents stand out to me like a sore thumb when I take on new customers whose previous cleaner hadn't been washing them. If I didn't do them every time how would I know exactly when to do them again before they caused problems. I wouldn't want to get home only to get a complaint and have to go back. Like you said 2 seconds. I just swipe over them when I cross the top frame. Complete wìndow washed every time, for me. Very rarely get a complaint. Won't say I never get a complaint, but rare. 

exactly the   whole reason to clean the vents out properly on the first clean is so that you don’t get problems on subsequent cleans , we clean the whole window and frames and vents every clean , once it is clean there is no problem 

I only clean top frames and vents when dirty not on every clean. 

Saves times and eliminates chances of run marks. 

Not bothered if you disagree btw that's the way I find best. 

If that's what works for you mate then brill. But when you say 'saves time and eliminates chances of run marks'...so does giving them a 2 second wipe every clean. Surely that 2 seconds is saving you about 2 minutes down the road as now you have to give that window(s) ANOTHER 'first clean' once that dirt builds back up!?! 2 seconds! Surely you would rather do that than let the dirt build up THEN giving you a chance of streaks and spots from a dirty vent what you've already cleaned on the first clean..?? It just makes so much more sense to me that once it's clean, keep it clean. IMHO, it's laziness.

Then surely there is no point In Cleaning them at all if you arnt going to do them each time ,the hard work is the initial clean after that it’s easy no problem the dirt is gone so you won’t get track lines , the customer is paying to have the whole window cleaned each time and that’s what they get with us 

Then surely there is no point In Cleaning them at all if you arnt going to do them each time ,the hard work is the initial clean after that it’s easy no problem the dirt is gone so you won’t get track lines , the customer is paying to have the whole window cleaned each time and that’s what they get with us 

Why?

They get cleaned when they look dirty, if they don't look dirty then what's the point in cleaning them? 

More work for no reason doesn't sound very efficient to me. 

The customer is paying me for clean windows and frames and that what they get.

If I would have ever had 1 customer tell me the top frames haven't been cleaned then maybe you could have a point but I can't recall anyone every pulling me up on it ever so I must be doing ok.

If you look closely at the seal on the bottom of the opener window, right in the middle where the streak on the window below is you can see where there is a gap in the seal.

Thats your bugger right there! 

Clean that opener first then let it drip as long as you can, when you go back to it just flick your brush a few times until the excess water has gone and run your top bristles into that gap. The bristles will draw out the water in there, through capillary action. I also use this technique to dry off dodgy frames and clear the top of hydrophobic glass so when I rinse I dont need to get too close to a bad seal. Its been a game changer for me with regards to quality.

If you look closely at the seal on the bottom of the opener window, right in the middle where the streak on the window below is you can see where there is a gap in the seal.

Thats your bugger right there! 

Clean that opener first then let it drip as long as you can, when you go back to it just flick your brush a few times until the excess water has gone and run your top bristles into that gap. The bristles will draw out the water in there, through capillary action. I also use this technique to dry off dodgy frames and clear the top of hydrophobic glass so when I rinse I dont need to get too close to a bad seal. Its been a game changer for me with regards to quality.
what i do with the odd dodgy top opener like that is if their not too dirty i scrub and rinse really fast using minimum water then they dont run from the little drain holes.....then i can just clean the window below with confidence paul....try it.....it works....?

Back