Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Need help pricing this commercial job

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Kenzor

Hi everyone,

I’ve landed a huge job cleaning these offices (photos). The windows are absolutely filthy but I’m not sure how to price it so I need some suggestions, I’m due to meet the manager for a quote soon. Thanks in advance.

BAD66B20-A3F8-4C48-851B-FB1DDFE72893.jpeg

6954BB64-7DAF-4901-87B6-949C08E60A38.jpeg

EE614CED-C1E4-4E7C-BBFE-84426369EC9C.jpeg

C7EC019E-F910-4CB0-8459-77E14CB0C138.jpeg

2D0F9033-0A58-46D1-9052-255C57594896.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would 100% price that on time. What you value your time per hour is something we dont know but time wise is how to estimate that for a quote I think.

I would 100% price that on time. What you value your time per hour is something we dont know but time wise is how to estimate that for a quote I think.
See what you mean, better than pricing it per window, problem is I’m not even sure how long it would take

See what you mean, better than pricing it per window, problem is I’m not even sure how long it would take
Try and visually imagine doing the job, as strange as it may seem. You wont be far off with the time once you do that and come up with a number of hours 

Nice easy little job looking at the pictures I don’t think it would take more than a couple of hours to do the outsides ,unless there is more than there appears to be couple of hundred first clean as it will take longer but a regular clean won’t take long at all . That’s not including the sky lites though 

Yes it’s Charlie Bighams can you suggest how much to quote them?
I cant rember figure, it was when they first opened through the construction firm, they wanted all windows done by hand as they were covered in cement which meant bringing in a cherry picker for the tower.

and I believe it was in and out, I know I was allowing two days for two people.

but walked away as I did not want to get involved with cherry pickers.

All the best.

Great job that, good sized panes, lots of space around the building to work. Skylights at a height on left only real awkward thing, hopefully you can get on roof and clean the other s & what looks like solar panels? I would go over the cobwebs around frames with cobweb duster before you wet them and they get soggy, get rid of most of them and loosen up the rest. If you don't have one I think Unger's one is about 10-12 quid, i've had it for years and it's a gift.

Great job that, good sized panes, lots of space around the building to work. Skylights at a height on left only real awkward thing, hopefully you can get on roof and clean the other s & what looks like solar panels? I would go over the cobwebs around frames with cobweb duster before you wet them and they get soggy, get rid of most of them and loosen up the rest. If you don't have one I think Unger's one is about 10-12 quid, i've had it for years and it's a gift.
Will have to get one of those dusters otherwise I’ll have to just go over it with the brush. My pole reaches 35ft and I’ll have to do the balcony with traditional method, could bump price up?

My best guess would be 5 hours to do a proper job on the outside with a pole using a detergent/degreaser/tfr first. (Not including skylights) You could do a quick job in 2hrs but not thoroughly with it being so filthy (though it would be easier with hot water). But quick jobs seem to be the norm on commercial work so if you price to do a job to the same standards as you would on domestic work, then you'll probably get undercut by somebody else.

Will have to get one of those dusters otherwise I’ll have to just go over it with the brush. My pole reaches 35ft and I’ll have to do the balcony with traditional method, could bump price up?
Heavy duty brush just as good I suppose. Not sure if I would charge extra for using a different method, just my opinion these commerical jobs don't care what way you do it, they just want I done from my experience. As regards the balcony, I suppose it depends how proficient you are doing trad, lot of cr*p will drag from those frames, absolutely doable but will be tedious getting a finish on it with that sun. If you have a trolley, personally I would wheel trolley up and 25l barrel, wfp it, soak and scrub those frames to get the heavy stuff off and then trad it or blade pure off.... just my opinion. If you don't have the trolley, trad be ok just bit more work with those frames as they look in a bad way.

You might be able to get away with not going 100% on some windows but the balcony and run of glass where woman is cleaning in pic will show up everything in the blazing sun. A cloudy warm day would be perfect to do that job imo. They do look in a right state to be honest, a solid few hours work all right but hope you get it and make few quid off it. As matter of interest, how regularly do they want it done?

Heavy duty brush just as good I suppose. Not sure if I would charge extra for using a different method, just my opinion these commerical jobs don't care what way you do it, they just want I done from my experience. As regards the balcony, I suppose it depends how proficient you are doing trad, lot of cr*p will drag from those frames, absolutely doable but will be tedious getting a finish on it with that sun. If you have a trolley, personally I would wheel trolley up and 25l barrel, wfp it, soak and scrub those frames to get the heavy stuff off and then trad it.... just my opinion. If you don't have the trolley, trad be ok just bit more work with those frames.

You might be able to get away with not going 100% on some windows but the balcony and run of glass where woman is cleaning in pic will show up everything in the blazing sun. A cloudy warm day would be perfect to do that job imo. They do look in a right state to be honest, a solid few hours work all right but hope you get it and make few quid off it. As matter of interest, how regularly do they want it done?
The only thing I can relate to this is when I worked for a window cleaner around 10 years ago we used to do an entire college in 2 days with 4 people, boss got paid £600 for doing it and we did the whole thing doing trad back then. They’re gonna tell me next week how often they want it done. I also remember my old boss saying these big jobs don’t usually expect absolutely perfect windows the first time

The only thing I can relate to this is when I worked for a window cleaner around 10 years ago we used to do an entire college in 2 days with 4 people, boss got paid £600 for doing it and we did the whole thing doing trad back then. They’re gonna tell me next week how often they want it done. I also remember my old boss saying these big jobs don’t usually expect absolutely perfect windows the first time
I agree with him to an extent alright. I'm all commercial and sometimes you can get away with that bit more in my opinion, i suppose you just have to gauge the glass for yourself. Are workers looking out of it or is it glass they wouldn't really notice? Light/sun showing through or is it in shade etc? Not saying do a poor job but sometimes you don't have to go full tilt, I am guilty of it myself and you get no extra thanks. 

Be great if you got that few times per year, at least you know when you come back to it that it will be nowhere near as bad. Sometimes that is how I justify giving a more competitive price. Tough quoting jobs like this as you want them but at the same time you don't want to under price yourself and end up doing a job that is a ball breaker. Done it in the past several times myself, have one currently that am underpriced and I hate doing it. I would hazard a guess every guy/girl on this site is guilty of doing it at some point or another.

I agree with him to an extent alright. I'm all commercial and sometimes you can get away with that bit more in my opinion, i suppose you just have to gauge the glass for yourself. Are workers looking out of it or is it glass they wouldn't really notice? Light/sun showing through or is it in shade etc? Not saying do a poor job but sometimes you don't have to go full tilt, I am guilty of it myself and you get no extra thanks. 

Be great if you got that few times per year, at least you know when you come back to it that it will be nowhere near as bad. Sometimes that is how I justify giving a more competitive price. Tough quoting jobs like this as you want them but at the same time you don't want to under price yourself and end up doing a job that is a ball breaker. Done it in the past several times myself, have one currently that am underpriced and I hate doing it. I would hazard a guess every guy/girl on this site is guilty of doing it at some point or another.
Since you’re all commercial it’s worth asking you. I read somewhere some jobs ask for a risk assessment? And do they require paperwork of some sort or you can literally turn up and to the job and get it done?

Since you’re all commercial it’s worth asking you. I read somewhere some jobs ask for a risk assessment? And do they require paperwork of some sort or you can literally turn up and to the job and get it done?
Part timer is spot on, if they ask for one it won't be without the other. In 22 ish years of cleaning commercial work.. I have been asked 4 times. Public liability insurance though, now that is what I get asked to produce a lot.

Part timer is spot on, if they ask for one it won't be without the other. In 22 ish years of cleaning commercial work.. I have been asked 4 times. Public liability insurance though, now that is what I get asked to produce a lot.
That’s fine I can produce public liability insurance reference no problem, and I’m writing method/risk statements just in case. Thanks for the help!

Back