Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Bit on the side

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Teaboy

Does anybody do anything else as a side project/ other business??

My goal is to get into property somehow in the near future just seems impossible at the mo!!!

Well the BBC keeps showing episodes of Homes Under the Hammer so it can't be too late - cos the bbc keep showing propaganda showing that money is still being made...

Meanwhile in the realms of reality a few are still making good money from property but I have to agree that for us little folk it's probably too late.

I read a book about how to become rich. So I decided to follow its advice to see if it works. I now believe it does work but it can leave little time for rest and play. The advice was "many streams of income" that was all it said. I have my pension, solar feed in tariff and I added a monthly window cleaning round aswell as doing all my oddjobs and add-ons.

The buy-2-let fits in nicely aswell if you can get a property at auction or rundown price. The only problem is all these streams of income need cash to begin with, bar Trad window cleaning. Its probably the first time in my life that money is making money through buying better equipment. Its just one of those things you stumble on and realise why the rich pay for their kids to have a good education. The statistics regarding public or state schooling makes no difference in high achievers because that all comes down to determination. The more time one puts into something the better they will become. They say it you want to become good at something then spend 10k hours doing it, correctly that is.

Yeah I play in bands on the weekends. I've been a semi-pro guitar player for about 20 years now since I was 18. I have a decent enough round currently after 5 years building it up but I'm conscious not to take TOO much on as most weekends I'm out gigging Fridays and Saturdays. It's nice to have a 'backup' if, for example I don't get out a couple of days due to weather etc. I'm also a keen photographer and I've sold a few prints here and there and done some photoshoots. Would love to build a photography business up but it's finding the bloody time! 

Don’t know if either of you two that play in bands watched any of the Isle of Wight festival?

The lead guitarist with the cream coloured guitar that played with George Ezra, I clean his windows ?. 

He’s also played with Imelda May

Don’t know if either of you two that play in bands watched any of the Isle of Wight festival?

The lead guitarist with the cream coloured guitar that played with George Ezra, I clean his windows ?. 

I am a fan of George, I think one of the best artists for a generation and on the telly seems a very genuine lad as well.  Loved his Radio two interview where her talked about making the Staying At Tamaras album. 

As for property, 20 years ago people were saying 'I'm probably 20 years too late'  and 20 years before that and so on. You're not, you just look at it wrong (IMO) The reason the Indians, the Polish etc seem to be able to buy up endless property is they put pride aside, they get partnered up with like minded people to be sure that they are not waiting alone until they get enough money for that first buy, they will put in any of the work they can themselves so they need not pay someone if they don't have to and they will start at the ground up with one little terrace you or I probably wouldn't entertain.  

A fellow window cleaner I know fell in love with Turkey, bought a small 'villa' there, stayed a few weeks then decided to hire an agent to let it out as holiday lets, it got booked 18 plus months in advance, so he bought another, same again, and now has a third and lives their full time, all in three years.  

Our story? We have the window cleaning franchise, still growing, my wife invests in 'lots' (parcels of land) ((Including plots in cemeteries)) in the Philippines where the value can double almost every year, we have some other small business interests there as well, and she has her lead generation business here also.  I was a professional photographer before retirement from that industry in 2005 but got to travel the world and back taking images all over. These are filed with 5 of the top stock agencies and I still earn passive income from their sales when people buy the rights to use the image on a project, have had all sorts from the cover of Greek Vogue to book covers for the Italiys top murder mystery writer, to my most proud achievement, a first class stamp in 2011 for the Royal Mail and World Wildlife Foundation of an Amur Leopard, a tricky creature to track and many more projects

2011_6812_l.jpg

As I age I think more about passive income again so I continue to grow the franchise and have made a move towards relighting my passion for photography and videography and do a little most days, beats binge watching Netflix, that's for sure. 

I didn't watch any of it mate no but we do play a George Ezra tune in my band ?

I was a professional photographer before retirement from that industry in 2005 but got to travel the world and back taking images all over. These are filed with 5 of the top stock agencies and I still earn passive income from their sales when people buy the rights to use the image on a project, have had all sorts from the cover of Greek Vogue to book covers for the Italiys top murder mystery writer, to my most proud achievement, a first class stamp in 2011 for the Royal Mail and World Wildlife Foundation of an Amur Leopard, a tricky creature to track and many more projects

View attachment 16895

As I age I think more about passive income again so I continue to grow the franchise and have made a move towards relighting my passion for photography and videography and do a little most days, beats binge watching Netflix, that's for sure. 

That's cool mate. What made you give up photography? Do you still do any?

That's cool mate. What made you give up photography? Do you still do any?

It was something I did from the late 80s till mid naughties  20 years in one game can get to grind so just wanted a change, turns out for the better as I am now interested in it again and may get another 20 years yet.  Had I stayed I may not as I was starting to loath the day to day.  

It was something I did from the late 80s till mid naughties  20 years in one game can get to grind so just wanted a change, turns out for the better as I am now interested in it again and may get another 20 years yet.  Had I stayed I may not as I was starting to loath the day to day.  

So I'm guessing you were still using film at that point? I dream to become a full time landscape photographer, but I know the reality of making ends meet in that profession is something completely different to that dream.

So I'm guessing you were still using film at that point? I dream to become a full time landscape photographer, but I know the reality of making ends meet in that profession is something completely different to that dream.

Yes and no.  Was using 35mm film till around 2002 2003 when digital SLRs started to become practical but also used to shoot 6x4 medium format and 10x8 plate cameras as well. 

Now totally digital with an assortment of Olympus and Sony digital 4/3 cams Osmo Action cameras for slow mo and My Mavic Pro 2 drone for aerials. With the ability to see an instant result it's never been a more exciting time in photography. 

I'm looking at buying and selling motorcycles, just for a bit of fun and utilise some of the company money to make it work a bit harder..

My “bit on the side” (yes I thought the title referred to something else lol) is chimney sweeping. It’s fairly seasonal work but earns me a good bit of bunce through the autumn/winter months.

I’m a bit late replying to this thread. Hgv driving for me. Got my licence 30 years ago as a back up. Rainy days etc. I still enjoy a run out on a Saturday morn. 

I repair roofs which makes sense if you Trad. Today I replaced half a dozen slates, cleared gutter and valley for a ton. The old guy was over the moon because he was getting hung out to dry. I took a video of everything I done and showed it to him after I was finished. He was saying the factor's fees are unbelievable so I do most of their maintenance now because they trust me.

Back