Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Raging, lost my first customer

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Eggwisk

Hi all, first post on here and I'm absolutely raging!

I spent the morning cleaning a bungalow with velux sky lights that she insisted be cleaned even though she can turn them inside out to clean them. So as a trad windy I have to scramble on her roof to do it (massive pain)

Anyway after finishing the job she comes out with the cash and says. "you don't do the sills or frames!" When clearly I've wiped them all down. To which I reply. I have yes but you've got a lot of hard stains which I would usually charge extra to clean out because of the chemical I use is expensive etc etc. 

To which she says that "they are not stained"

then clearly show her with the SILL CLOTH I have in my hand (so again further proof I did clean them if I had a sill cloth..) that they have been wiped down and proceed to re wipe it down and show that the stains are still there.. (she even licks her finger and scrubbed at the stains and they didn't come off.. and that they need a restoration or full scrub down). 

She advises me that her previous window cleaner was much better than me and that she will give him a call and for me to not bother coming back..

I don't understand when I've done all I can that she would be like that?

Do I bother sending her an apology text and explaining (again) or do I just write her off..

I'm just really annoyed because I'm not long into this and each customer to me is essential! 

Thanks!!

I'm not long into this and each customer to me is essential! 

Yes but this is not a customer that you actually want.  

I would have said look here luv, and walked her to the window, then preceded to do a standard trad clean and point out that that's what she asked for, then I would have dipped in my pocket and whipped out the Unger Rub Out and done a small 6 inch sample patch on her window sill in front of her and shown her the difference, then discuss the price for a full UPVC restoration. 

Some you'll win and some you'll lose but remember this.......she's never going to be a loyal customer, she dumped her old windy when you came knocking (as you are a noob I guess he may have been a bit pricier than you perhaps) the second someone else knocks offering her what she considers a better offer you're out the door!  

I understand you are hungry right now but you're dodging a bullet here mate, cut out the cancer on day one and focus on getting a quality customer to replace her.  

As for raging??  Cup of tea and a Garibaldi biscuit will fix you right up!  

Yes but this is not a customer that you actually want.  

I would have said look here luv, and walked her to the window, then preceded to do a standard trad clean and point out that that's what she asked for, then I would have dipped in my pocket and whipped out the Unger Rub Out and done a small 6 inch sample patch on her window sill in front of her and shown her the difference, then discuss the price for a full UPVC restoration. 

Some you'll win and some you'll lose but remember this.......she's never going to be a loyal customer, she dumped her old windy when you came knocking (as you are a noob I guess he may have been a bit pricier than you perhaps) the second someone else knocks offering her what she considers a better offer you're out the door!  

I understand you are hungry right now but you're dodging a bullet here mate, cut out the cancer on day one and focus on getting a quality customer to replace her.  

As for raging??  Cup of tea and a Garibaldi biscuit will fix you right up!  
Cheers man I really appreciate that. Cheered me up ?

Like green pro has said these aren't the customers you want long or short term, you're never going to please them regardless of your efforts. It's a much harder pill to swallow right now as your new to the game but you will get to a point where you just send them packing.

i had a run in with a potential new customer a few months back, I had recently brought the round, everything going fine until she came out. 

Customer: "I've cleaned my windows myself, who are you? I didn't want them doing if I wasn't in etc".

Me: "it was explained in the hand over letter duck, myself and the former cleaner have informed everyone".

Customer: "well I've done my own windows and you've got them all wet and messed them up!"

Me: "the water will dry perfectly clean and if you've cleaned them then you've done a **** job!"

after which point i carried on with cleaning her neighbours homes, with no issue and she stormed off.

moral of the story mate, they need you more than you need them.

Just try and forget about her mate and crack on getting more customers. You'll very quickly realize that you'll be glad to get rid of people like her. I know you're raging right now, we've all been there, but you'll get over it it's just all part of this game we're in. Working with the public can be one of the most frustrating things.

So true. You have to have thick skin in this game. Still after 16 years though, every now and then.....you just want to.... :1f624:

Do I bother sending her an apology text and explaining (again) or do I just write her off..

Like Green Pro said, she's gonna be hassle in the future and not the sort of customer you want. Be glad if she paid you and forget her.

Some old hags really are out to cause offence. I knocked on ones door yesterday asking if she'd like any windows cleaned.. they were filthy - i mean proper mingin. She said (quite angrily) no and she already had a window cleaner. My reply was "course you have luv" and walked off lol. I could of made them look a lot better but I'm not going to get upset about it, once she's snuffed it and her house has been sold someone else will want them cleaned so whether she likes it or not, it's still gonna happen lol.

Back