Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

dirty water coming out of window vents

WCF

Help Support WCF:

mark548

[SIZE=12pt]Good evening, i wonder could you spare a minute of your time to help a newbie at the WFP window cleaning. i’m having a problem with these vents above some windows. ie when the windows dry some dirty water must be seeping out of the vent & leaving a white stain on the middle of the windows. plus there seems to be some very small white spots also on some of the windows as-well. these problem windows have all first clean jobs. i’ve used plenty of water when rinsing as i’m new and want to do a thorough job. any help on this subject would be gratefully appreciated.[/SIZE]

It is a very common problem on first cleans, what i do is clean the whole window and then move onto the next until you have cleaned all of them. after this go back over and just clean the glass, and make sure you tell the customer that it may leave a small amount of streaking but this will be all sorted on your next clean. 

Had similar issues to this. No matter how much i angle the jets up into the vents i never get them completely clean so that dirty water wont run down.

Funnily enough i came to the same conclusion as the video. On first cleans give the top of the frame a real good clean above the vent. Then lightly brush under vent without getting too much water in there. Clean the rest of window, then on first cleans go back round the house doing just the glass. 

I also found on pretty much every occasion i angled the jets up into the vent, i could see water running down the inside of the glass onto the sill indoors. not great. 

On maintenance cleans i gently clean around then trying not to get water up in them. 

I also found on pretty much every occasion i angled the jets up into the vent, i could see water running down the inside of the glass onto the sill indoors. not great. 

Thats why I deliberately avoid touching vents as much as possible. I've probably got the odd bit of water in a few but I do my best to avoid them. I'll scrub round them but i won't angle upwards to clean them. IMO if the customer wants those doing they're an extra.

I blast them with water to ensure I get rid of all the trapped dirt and give them a decent clean every time to avoid any build up of dirt, simply put the graft in first time and maintain standards not drop them, there is the exception with some cheaper badly fitted vents that just clip on I so clean these more cautiously but still ensure a 100% job is done. 

I blast them with water to ensure I get rid of all the trapped dirt and give them a decent clean every time to avoid any build up of dirt, simply put the graft in first time and maintain standards not drop them, there is the exception with some cheaper badly fitted vents that just clip on I so clean these more cautiously but still ensure a 100% job is done. 
Yep, I do the same. 

Those clip ons are causing me a nightmare. More and more of them and keep knocking them off the windows! ?

One new build customer had vents fall off inside and outside! ?

Thats why I deliberately avoid touching vents as much as possible. I've probably got the odd bit of water in a few but I do my best to avoid them. I'll scrub round them but i won't angle upwards to clean them. IMO if the customer wants those doing they're an extra.

By avoiding the problem you are making it worse every visit you do having to make sure you don’t get water in the vents , we deliberately scrub and wash out the vents thoroughly on the first clean I don’t care if it takes twise  as long as I charge more for most first cleans any way , but then all subsequent cleans I know we won’t have any issues at all , avoiding vents is not the answer cleaning them well is .

It is a very common problem on first cleans, what i do is clean the whole window and then move onto the next until you have cleaned all of them. after this go back over and just clean the glass, and make sure you tell the customer that it may leave a small amount of streaking but this will be all sorted on your next clean.
Hi mate, that's exactly what 1 do on first cleans, but then I don't know if I should clean the vents the 2nd time or avoid them? What do you do? Cheers m8

I have no idea how to quote on these new forums but I agree with all of the above really. I scrub the vents clean on a first clean, I'll clean all the front top windows, then go back to where I started and clean the windows again (glass only this time), same with the bottoms, then same round the back.

I have no idea how to quote on these new forums but I agree with all of the above really. I scrub the vents clean on a first clean, I'll clean all the front top windows, then go back to where I started and clean the windows again (glass only this time), same with the bottoms, then same round the back.
Will you clean the vents the 2nd time round

Back