Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

South east show me the ropes

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Cick

So for a long time Iv tried to find a job window cleaning slot of the time they want someone with experience I just can't get my foot in the door 

Is there any guys in South east area who will give me a leg up for a few days give me a bit of experience and a general idea of what it's like thanks in advance 

Good luck mate and I hope you find someone charitable enough to do so. 

I have been asked the same question many times and after some serious contemplation it comes down to the same old adage - 'Time is money'

When I got to thinking about it I decided a fair way to do it was quite simple, pay for my time.  A day learning the basics of window cleaning (no you wont be a pro but you'd have a good foundation to go home and practice on) and a day going over admin, book keeping, growing business etc.  

So what was my time worth?  Well 'on the tools' myself or my lads can do £300 - £400 per day on a busy day so I felt generous and will go in at the 'mean end' £300 per day for my time so in short £600 to learn this trade from me.  

I thought it was fair no? After all I am setting you off on a good foundation to a future that can earn you £1500 per week plus when you get rolling.  If you were a sparky or a plumber you would have years of time invested in apprenticeships etc so why would people think it should be different to learn our trade?  Short cut? Simple, pay for it.   

At least that's my opinion.  How many of those that asked took me up on my offer?? 

Yep - NONE!!

But not to worry, instead of teaching for free or the classic offer of 'I'll pay for lunch'  I spent my time earning real money.  

Re-reading this it may come across as if I am having a go, I am not, I just want you to appreciate two things, how valuable time is and how lucky you will be if you do find someone.   

So for a long time Iv tried to find a job window cleaning slot of the time they want someone with experience I just can't get my foot in the door 

Is there any guys in South east area who will give me a leg up for a few days give me a bit of experience and a general idea of what it's like thanks in advance 

You've just gotta jump in there. Best way, as you'll probably intend to be by yourself. Confidence will grow each job. You know of all the videos etc on utube. just copy them (well, most of them) If you havent got the gear yet, maybe start off doing some trad, see how it goes. Doesnt cost anything then. or get a cheap pole/backpack, buy some water in and do a bit of knocking and see how it goes. Its the only way. Pick a middle class area or somewhere that seems nice and crack on.

You've just gotta jump in there. Best way, as you'll probably intend to be by yourself. Confidence will grow each job. You know of all the videos etc on utube. just copy them (well, most of them) If you havent got the gear yet, maybe start off doing some trad, see how it goes. Doesnt cost anything then. or get a cheap pole/backpack, buy some water in and do a bit of knocking and see how it goes. Its the only way. Pick a middle class area or somewhere that seems nice and crack on.
Ye eventually I would like to go on my own one of the big bonuses for window cleaning is low start up cost . Biggest problem for me is I already work full time in motor trade so would only be able to do like a Saturday at first so ideally I would have like to work as a window cleaner for a while get the ins and outs and crack on thanks for your advice though bud 

I have been asked the same question many times and after some serious contemplation it comes down to the same old adage - 'Time is money'

When I got to thinking about it I decided a fair way to do it was quite simple, pay for my time.  A day learning the basics of window cleaning (no you wont be a pro but you'd have a good foundation to go home and practice on) and a day going over admin, book keeping, growing business etc.  

So what was my time worth?  Well 'on the tools' myself or my lads can do £300 - £400 per day on a busy day so I felt generous and will go in at the 'mean end' £300 per day for my time so in short £600 to learn this trade from me.  

I thought it was fair no? After all I am setting you off on a good foundation to a future that can earn you £1500 per week plus when you get rolling.  If you were a sparky or a plumber you would have years of time invested in apprenticeships etc so why would people think it should be different to learn our trade?  Short cut? Simple, pay for it.   

At least that's my opinion.  How many of those that asked took me up on my offer?? 

Yep - NONE!!

But not to worry, instead of teaching for free or the classic offer of 'I'll pay for lunch'  I spent my time earning real money.  

Re-reading this it may come across as if I am having a go, I am not, I just want you to appreciate two things, how valuable time is and how lucky you will be if you do find someone.   
Totally agree with you bud at the end of the day your a business man that's fine just thought I'd pop a thread on here to see if anyone would I just don't really want to be selli g a service when I know nothing apart from what iv watched it takes a long time to get a good name and very short time to get a bad one 

Ye eventually I would like to go on my own one of the big bonuses for window cleaning is low start up cost . Biggest problem for me is I already work full time in motor trade so would only be able to do like a Saturday at first so ideally I would have like to work as a window cleaner for a while get the ins and outs and crack on thanks for your advice though bud 
If you're currently working full time then I would suggest start by practicing your technique, firstly, on your own house and then family and friends. Getting the windows clean is relatively easy, the hard part of this business is getting up to speed, whilst maintaining the quality, and getting enough customers to support yourself.

Yep - NONE!!

I totally agree with everything you have said , but I think Ime a bit of a soft touch I have had several from this forum come out with us for a day to learn the basics , with how to clean a window , how to price jobs, how to estimate time , how use a gutter vac , how to softwash , how to do a  plastic clean etc, Ime quite happy to help ones , but you are right any other job you would have to pay for training I did myself with softwashing. I think most that want to learn don’t view it as a professional job , they just think that anyone should help them foc get a foot on the ladder , I know it sounds hard And to be honest I would feel awkward charging someone how to window Clean , but I am also a first aid instructor and don’t  have any qualms about charging ones for that , strange but true . I think maybe we de value our skills with window cleaning , and just take it for granted , I think your post is an excellent one and should be food for thought , maybe set up a window cleaning instructors program and charge people for a weeks course in different cleaning techniques . 

I totally agree with everything you have said , but I think Ime a bit of a soft touch I have had several from this forum come out with us for a day to learn the basics , with how to clean a window , how to price jobs, how to estimate time , how use a gutter vac , how to softwash , how to do a  plastic clean etc, Ime quite happy to help ones , but you are right any other job you would have to pay for training I did myself with softwashing. I think most that want to learn don’t view it as a professional job , they just think that anyone should help them foc get a foot on the ladder , I know it sounds hard And to be honest I would feel awkward charging someone how to window Clean , but I am also a first aid instructor and don’t  have any qualms about charging ones for that , strange but true . I think maybe we de value our skills with window cleaning , and just take it for granted , I think your post is an excellent one and should be food for thought , maybe set up a window cleaning instructors program and charge people for a weeks course in different cleaning techniques . 
Ye of you can get 4 5 blokes to book a session with you makes it more appealing price wise to us and better then your normal day rate for you 

Yep - NONE!!

Can I just ask then what's the motive behind your YouTube vids if not to help people out for free ? And surely it takes time to put together 

I'm in Bedfordshire and you're more than welcome to jump in a van with me for the day or with one of my franchisee's.

I don't mind helping out others because more times the not through talking to new people I think of something new or learn something.

I'm in Bedfordshire and you're more than welcome to jump in a van with me for the day or with one of my franchisee's.

I don't mind helping out others because more times the not through talking to new people I think of something new or learn something.
Ye man would be massively appreciated I could do with a couple weeks notice to book a day if possible I know it's a pain in the **** or Saturday ? 

Ye man would be massively appreciated I could do with a couple weeks notice to book a day if possible I know it's a pain in the **** or Saturday ? 

It's up to you, i live in Bromham and most of my work is within a mile radius of my home. Just think about what you want to actually learn or know then just let me know. I personally don't need any notice as i'm reduced hours now so work to my own timetable.

We could do new builds, old houses, 60ft commerical, shop runs, care homes, pubs, upvc cleaning or whatever you fancy really. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It's up to you, i live in Bromham and most of my work is within a mile radius of my home. Just think about what you want to actually learn or know then just let me know. I personally don't need any notice as i'm reduced hours now so work to my own timetable.

We could do new builds, old houses, 60ft commerical, shop runs, care homes, pubs, upvc cleaning or whatever you fancy really. 
This is a top offer and dare I even say pull a sicky and get in this man's van asap ?

All of it ? at first I guess I'd like to do normal houses your everyday sort of stuff as I said IV no experience at all maybe some trad and wfp stuff whatever info you wanna pass on 

These do a training day, a bit far from you, but there might be someone closer. 

https://www.ukcommercialgroup.co.uk/product/water-fed-pole-window-cleaning-courses/

I think we are missing a trick hear training people isnt hard we are all very experienced cleaners and take for granted the knowledge we have amassed over the years that new cleaners haven’t got a clue about , could be a new revenue source ???, I wouldn’t mind running courses doing that it would make a change from first aid and fire safety 

I think we are missing a trick hear training people isnt hard we are all very experienced cleaners and take for granted the knowledge we have amassed over the years that new cleaners haven’t got a clue about , could be a new revenue source ???, I wouldn’t mind running courses doing that it would make a change from first aid and fire safety 
And how many successful people on here paid to learn how to clean windows. Yes H&S, running a business, but not how to waft a wet brush on a stick. If you can't teach yourself how to clean windows with a wfp then, personally, don't think they're up to handling the harder part of this job. 

And how many successful people on here paid to learn how to clean windows. Yes H&S, running a business, but not how to waft a wet brush on a stick. If you can't teach yourself how to clean windows with a wfp then, personally, don't think they're up to handling the harder part of this job. 
I think the main thing most people would want to give the job a go before they try it also before they go spend £ on a wfp setup 

But generally jus see what a day in the life is like 

I think the main thing most people would want to give the job a go before they try it also before they go spend £ on a wfp setup 

But generally jus see what a day in the life is like 
1 day won't really show you anything though, I'm not having a go at you or trying to put you off as anyone that leaves a paid job to go self employed will always have my utmost respect. It will cost you around three hundred quid to buy a back pack and a pole, not exactly a big capital outlay, and you can then buy some pure and try yourself. If it's not for you then you'll probably get £200 for the equipment and had clean windows for a few months. There are plenty of videos, even our infamous @Green Pro Clean Ltd has some, of how to clean windows on YouTube, this will give you just as much info as being out with someone. The hard part is getting customers, running the business and going out in the freezing cold to wash windows with cold water on your own for 8 hours. No training course or day out will teach you this, and until you face it you won't know if the job is for you. So my advice of cleaning your, family and friends, windows, build your round up whilst still working, stands. Good luck whatever you decide. 

Back