Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hypo shelf life

Does anybody know how long sodium hypochlorite will stay good for when left unopened in a 25L drum.

Do the drums have a use by date on them?

there will  be a use by date on them , once opened provided there is a reasonable amount in the drum it will still work but after a few weeks it does  loose some of its strength 

there will  be a use by date on them , once opened provided there is a reasonable amount in the drum it will still work but after a few weeks it does  loose some of its strength 
Thanks. Was going to order the drums in bulk to save on delivery costs. Might not use some of the drums for quite a few months so hopefully the use by date will be good on them.

Thanks. Was going to order the drums in bulk to save on delivery costs. Might not use some of the drums for quite a few months so hopefully the use by date will be good on them.

I buy them from a farm shop at the end of the road I live in , but generally they have a shelf life from the date on them of around 6 months , I did a job with 3 month out of date hypo in -2 degrees that had been open for several months and it worked ok just needed a stronger mix than normal 

I think it loses 10%  strength per month, opened or unopened.

I been using some 15% thats over 12 months old. I used it neat, still did a good job.

I do very little softwashing, but used a half full drum of 10% of the old brand benz blackwash, it was a year old, half full, and has since been re-named lightning cleanze. Had been in the garage since last june and used the remaining half at the start of this june. Worked a treat as if time had had no effect. There wasnt even a need to strengthen the recommended mix, i just re-applied it for spot cleaning 2-3 times on stubborn lichen and it went in no time. Win 

Back