Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Getting an oclamp off a univalve...?

Bart90

Am I missing a trick here?  I can't seem to get o clamps off univalves without trashing the end of the univalve with my pliers/footprints!  

Any tips?  Am I using too small o clamp?  I've tried warm water/ fairy with little success.

Yes!

after breaking a univalve I went away for some ‘soul searching’ 

Get a flat head screwdriver & hammer and use it like a chisel. Aim right through the tail of the o clamp! In the end I did 3 in a row quickly and safely. 

Yes!

after breaking a univalve I went away for some ‘soul searching’ 

Get a flat head screwdriver & hammer and use it like a chisel. Aim right through the tail of the o clamp! In the end I did 3 in a row quickly and safely. 
Cheers mate!  I'll give that a go....and put my deformed univalve back in use and hope for the best

After using Double ear O clips for years ive honed my maintenance and service techniques to removing them safely without stressing or damaging the support structure and using only a dremel style rotary cutter with a small cutting wheel and a steady hand 

When I was using them I used a Dremmel cutter, same as Apw1210.

However, if you are using PU pole hose, try working without ‘o’ clamps. I haven’t used them for ages. Never had my hose come off. Only works with PU hose though. Seems to grip tighter when you pull on it.

When I was using them I used a Dremmel cutter, same as Apw1210.

However, if you are using PU pole hose, try working without ‘o’ clamps. I haven’t used them for ages. Never had my hose come off. Only works with PU hose though. Seems to grip tighter when you pull on it.
I can believe this.  I was setting up my spare pole yesterday to 'hoseless' and I've never had such a battle trying to get the pu hose on and over the barbs (even with hot water soaking & fairy)!  The PU hose that's connected at the top of the trolley kept slipping off and had to o clamp it.  Don't know if it's where it's positioned but I'll try working without on the next one and see how i go.

Thanks for all the info guys, really helpful.

A caveat to my earlier post: I've found that PU hose doesn't hold to a metal barb (eg: rectus 21 or similar) so well without an 'o' clamp. It only seems to work well when attached to a plastic barb.

As for getting PU hose onto the barb, try chewing on the hose end first. Yes I did say chewing! Someone on one of the forums recommended it some time back and every time I have difficulty fitting PU hose to a barb I try this and it works every time. It makes it momentarily supple enough to make it easier to push over the barbs.

Make sure it's clean though before you chew it, especially if it's used hose. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
A caveat to my earlier post: I've found that PU hose doesn't hold to a metal barb (eg: rectus 21 or similar) so well without an 'o' clamp. It only seems to work well when attached to a plastic barb.

As for getting PU hose onto the barb, try chewing on the hose end first. Yes I did say chewing! Someone on one of the forums recommended it some time back and every time I have difficulty fitting PU hose to a barb I try this and it works every time. It makes it momentarily supple enough to make it easier to push over the barbs.

Make sure it's clean though before you chew it, especially if it's used hose. ?
That would explain it as it's a rectus 21 fitting.  ?  I'll give the hose chewing a miss though until i'm really desperate ?

Back