Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Never will understand people!!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

chris clean

So I'm cleaning 2 houses next door to each other in a very nice area with big houses. A guy comes out of the house opposite and says "I see your not using ladders can I have a quote because the guys who do mine use ladders and have for the second time broken a tile walking on them to get to windows so I have told them not to come again" after cleaning i go over and he shows me round to give you an idea this house is worth upwards of 500 000 quid but when I looked round actually didn't have that many windows. As with his neighbours it's a  £25 job for me. I tell him and he says " we have a problem then cos my old cleaner was only £20" so I said well if that's what you want to pay I would stick with him but I am fully insured and have £2000 worth of kit in my van that means I dont have to use ladders and walk on your roof. He says I tell you what " do it for £20 and you can have cash" so i just said no thanks mate all your neighbours pay full price and i have 3 quotes to do today who more than likely will all sign up with my prices too so if you want a cheap clean you will have to put up with the cheap standard and turned and walked. 

Just wonder what goes through peoples heads it's like going into BMW dealer and going my old Ford worth 5k keeps breaking down but I want everything a brand new BMW has to offer me but for 5k! 

you’re better off without mate it would be an insult to your paying customers by giving in to somebody who’s trying to scrimp it. Even if, as you said, it “didn’t have that many windows” the cost of replacing the glass on one of them

is still significant. And you’re right, you show up with years of experience and thousands of pounds worth of kit, people don’t realize that’s what they’re paying for

So I'm cleaning 2 houses next door to each other in a very nice area with big houses. A guy comes out of the house opposite and says "I see your not using ladders can I have a quote because the guys who do mine use ladders and have for the second time broken a tile walking on them to get to windows so I have told them not to come again" after cleaning i go over and he shows me round to give you an idea this house is worth upwards of 500 000 quid but when I looked round actually didn't have that many windows. As with his neighbours it's a  £25 job for me. I tell him and he says " we have a problem then cos my old cleaner was only £20" so I said well if that's what you want to pay I would stick with him but I am fully insured and have £2000 worth of kit in my van that means I dont have to use ladders and walk on your roof. He says I tell you what " do it for £20 and you can have cash" so i just said no thanks mate all your neighbours pay full price and i have 3 quotes to do today who more than likely will all sign up with my prices too so if you want a cheap clean you will have to put up with the cheap standard and turned and walked. 

Just wonder what goes through peoples heads it's like going into BMW dealer and going my old Ford worth 5k keeps breaking down but I want everything a brand new BMW has to offer me but for 5k! 

Well done for sticking to your guns some people think that they can dictate the price I would have done exactly the same as you , when he realises that that’s a fair price and comes back to you I would say I have had a price rise with my customers since I gave you that price it’s now £30 ??? 

Should have said I'll only charge you £20 as long as I can smash some of your tiles as well.

Been a “lurker” for some time now reading these forums for over a good solid year at least! 

A few stories make me chuckle to myself when reading... and this is golden ??

Yeah its definately satisfying when you can just walk if they don't want to pay the price. Plenty of times when I first started a few years ago I let people talk me down cos I wanted the job then ended up hating the job cos it was underpriced

Good on you for standing your ground, What has made me laugh over the years is it's usually the ones in an expensive house with nice cars on the drive that want to bargain the price down, I had one well over 10 years ago that asked about pensioner rates saying they had to watch there money and they had  a brand new jag on the drive ?

I quoted a conny last week.. £70 plus the windows for a tenner. Bloke was not happy "come on man, give me something i can work with, call it fifty" he says. I looks round, no easy rear access (terraced house), path to his rear gate, conny roof that was going to be 3 hrs and then the windows on top. I explained that all to him and left my number. Didn't budge on the price and didn't really want the conny either. Admittedly they're a nice lump sum of cash but a lot of hassle. Never did hear back from him, Bovered?

Nice enough bloke but I'm not going to cut my self down on conny roofs... not for the amount of time involved and a creaky telescopic ladder

Should have said I'll only charge you £20 as long as I can smash some of your tiles as well.

That would of been a cracking deal!

Well done for sticking to your guns some people think that they can dictate the price I would have done exactly the same as you , when he realises that that’s a fair price and comes back to you I would say I have had a price rise with my customers since I gave you that price it’s now £30 ??? 

Exactly what I do everytime lol

I went to quote a nice house I knew the owner was a multi millionaire he is around 67 years old and still very active running several big building company’s and has around 200 employees, I met the wife and she wanted a price for cleaning the windows it’s not a big place but it’s nice so quoted her £40 , she said ,ooooh we are pensioners you know I can only afford to have them done every other month ?????lol we still do the job and she pays on the nail every time but they must think we came down in the last shower of rain as everyone knows how much money they have !!!!!

I've worked with a company for 20 years, I buy aluminium scrap for them, and have done very well out of them over the years. He asked me to clean his house windows, nearly 60 miles away, which I do, and 2 of his friends. Anyway I gross £90 from the 3 houses and it takes me 5 hours in total, including travelling time. 

Occasionally he's in and has to pay me, you should hear him complain as it's £40 for an hours work. @Pjjwould probably get away with £100. 

IMG_20160627_100239.jpg

Good on you for standing your ground, What has made me laugh over the years is it's usually the ones in an expensive house with nice cars on the drive that want to bargain the price down, I had one well over 10 years ago that asked about pensioner rates saying they had to watch there money and they had  a brand new jag on the drive ?
Nah my heart bleeds for them, you know new cars over £40k the government add a extra £320 per year to the tax. Guy I know was complaining recently as he had to pay it on his new Jag. I suggested we have a whip around for him. ?

Back