Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Van choice connect vs custom

Perryb91

Hi, first post here just after some advice if that's alright regarding Van's.

Currently just started up and I'm weighing up what van I'm going to get. I'm leaning towards the Ford connect currently as I'm still building my round but I dont want to stitch my self up couple years down the line with how much water I can carry. 

I mostly WFP all first cleans & tops using a backpack systerm which I'm well aware isn't ideal but its financially all I can get currently. I didn't know weather i should just get a custom with the increased pay load for when i get a full van systerm or I'll be able to get by with while my rounds building. 

I work 4 on 4 off shift pattern so this isn't a full time operation for me although I dont wanna dig myself a hole for later down the line. 

Thanks in advance,

Perry 

Always go bigger.

I've lost count of the number of times I moaned about not having a bigger van - and I've had 2 SWB Citroen Relays for 12 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
it will all depend on your budget and requirements,If a 400 litre tank is all your ever going to need buy a lower millage and newer connect,If money is no problem and you want to future proof your van get a custom.

You need to be aware of the payloads with the the connects and customs. For example the 240 connect has a payload of 950kg but the 270 custom only 725kg.

Thank you both ☝️ gonna sleep on it tonight. Just need to weight up realistically how much water I'll be getting through given I'll only be on the glass 1-2 a week. New to the forum but appreciate you all taking the time 

My son in law used a Connect T220 L on a 53 plate for window cleaning before he gave it up. His van handled a 500 liter tank without issue and he had enough room behind the tank for his hose reel. He stored some A frame steps down the side of his tank but that was about all he had room for.

His van had a Ford fitted mesh bulkhead and he was only able to fit his SLX22 pole along the side at an angle.

My son has a Citroen Berlingo 800LX. We cut an opening in his upper steel mesh bulkhead so he could fit his SLX25 into the van. The pole just fits in with the pole base up against the windscreen and the brush head up against the back doors. He also has a 500 liter tank in the back. The Connect handled the weight much better than the Berlingo does.

For the 2 of us my SWB Boxer (this is my 3rd van) is too small, especially if we want to carry our gutter vac , pipes and tools. I regret not looking harder for a good lwb van.

But if you only plan to be on the glass a couple of days a week, then a smaller van could well be OK. When I made my early comment I was thinking in a full time basis, but SIL managed fine as a single operator with his van. As has been pointed out by @High-tower, you need to keep a careful check on payloads as they can differ.

Could always get a trailer with this little motor 

View attachment 17073
Hahaha! That was gonna be my next suggestion....

My son in law used a Connect T220 L on a 53 plate for window cleaning before he gave it up. His van handled a 500 liter tank without issue and he had enough room behind the tank for his hose reel. He stored some A frame steps down the side of his tank but that was about all he had room for.

His van had a Ford fitted mesh bulkhead and he was only able to fit his SLX22 pole along the side at an angle.

My son has a Citroen Berlingo 800LX. We cut an opening in his upper steel mesh bulkhead so he could fit his SLX25 into the van. The pole just fits in with the pole base up against the windscreen and the brush head up against the back doors. He also has a 500 liter tank in the back. The Connect handled the weight much better than the Berlingo does.

For the 2 of us my SWB Boxer (this is my 3rd van) is too small, especially if we want to carry our gutter vac , pipes and tools. I regret not looking harder for a good lwb van.

But if you only plan to be on the glass a couple of days a week, then a smaller van could well be OK. When I made my early comment I was thinking in a full time basis, but SIL managed fine as a single operator with his van. As has been pointed out by @High-tower, you need to keep a careful check on payloads as they can differ.
It all seems to be a mine field starting out with buying kit given I've only just begun building a round. I hope in time I'll be able to give something back to the forum as my experience grows. ??

We've got a custom in the franchise which can just about get away with a 400L tank and the other equipment due to the rubbish pay load.

My first franchisee bought a 230 connect and has a payload of just under a ton. He's got a 500L Grippatank system and its 3 years old next month and it's been spot on and handles the weight well. 

I'm in the same situation with my new van dilemma, I've changed my mind loads of times but just waiting on the finance figures then i can make a decision. Iv'e gone from the larger transit through to the connect and back to the custom now ?  

yeh as people say, check payload. Ive a transit connect, yet its payload is only just over half a ton. Its the L200TD swb. Seems enough for me, though I am glad after first few houses when the water tank is emptying. 350 litre tank max really, as you know, a litre of water is a kilo. Add on the backpack full of water and a couple of barrels full, leisure battery, pump etc, petrol in the tank and myself and your on the max level.

We've got a custom in the franchise which can just about get away with a 400L tank and the other equipment due to the rubbish pay load.

My first franchisee bought a 230 connect and has a payload of just under a ton. He's got a 500L Grippatank system and its 3 years old next month and it's been spot on and handles the weight well. 

I'm in the same situation with my new van dilemma, I've changed my mind loads of times but just waiting on the finance figures then i can make a decision. Iv'e gone from the larger transit through to the connect and back to the custom now ?  
I know what you mean damo, I go to bed with "I'll get the custom better to have more space". Wake up in the morning with "connect should be ok for a 1 man operation" ?

yeh as people say, check payload. Ive a transit connect, yet its payload is only just over half a ton. Its the L200TD swb. Seems enough for me, though I am glad after first few houses when the water tank is emptying. 350 litre tank max really, as you know, a litre of water is a kilo. Add on the backpack full of water and a couple of barrels full, leisure battery, pump etc, petrol in the tank and myself and your on the max level.
Just out of interest and I know it will vary but how well does 300L tank do ya? I've got a spotless round the corner from me so I'm not overly concerned with taking a 10 detor initially? 

I know what you mean damo, I go to bed with "I'll get the custom better to have more space". Wake up in the morning with "connect should be ok for a 1 man operation" ?

Just out of interest and I know it will vary but how well does 300L tank do ya? I've got a spotless round the corner from me so I'm not overly concerned with taking a 10 detor initially? 
350 litre tank works fine for me, but then I rarely do whole days. Still, it does at least £250 worth. Thats with a bit left and not having it full right up. Also thats a mix of £12/£15 semis and the odd conny/ odd size/type of house. If im in trouble can always finish off with the backpack and spare barrels. If you have a conny roof, need to plan for that using a bit more maybe.

Latest Posts

Back