Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Conservatory ladders - how to...

Will T

Hi been cleaning for a few months now and had to turn down a couple of conservatory cleans which I am sure would of been nicely priced if they were doable for me.

The problem ones are the ones which have a slope towards the house and no access apart from the front so cant do with pole alone.

Seen conservatory ladders which look like they will solve most/all problems but how do I assess if the conservatory is strong enough for them?

Tried searching and cant find much, google just spamming me with where to hire or buy them from or how to use but nothing to say when to use them or when to bin the job off, youtube been similar so had given up totally but a massive one wants a quote done now and don't want to turn it down if I can do it as it will be a good full days pay and being a start up I could do with it! 

Just get a good set of step ladders and do them off them. Makes it harder but if you can get it so you're up against the wall then it's fairly safe

Done several like you have suggested but don't think it will work for this one atleast not with the steps I currently have :/ Would you still suggest steps for this? Might just need to get some taller ones if so, thanks for taking time to help :) 

77e531ae50398ae0bea53148b7d3f24f1547bfe6.jpg

Just get a good set of step ladders and do them off them. Makes it harder but if you can get it so you're up against the wall then it's fairly safe
Steps will never work on these style Conservatories 

You will need this style of ladder

Screenshot_20190713-154805.jpg

As for assessing whether the conservatory roof is strong enough, I would have something for the customer to sign, so if anything happens it won't be on you

As for assessing whether the conservatory roof is strong enough, I would have something for the customer to sign, so if anything happens it won't be on you

Great thank you for the sign something idea.

They're nasty, doubtful doing that off steps. 
Turned down a couple as they look a real PIA but thinking of the £££ I feel I just need to learn how to deal with them instead of doing a runner when I see them :D 

Turned down a couple as they look a real PIA but thinking of the £££ I feel I just need to learn how to deal with them instead of doing a runner when I see them ?
You could get a couple of scaffold boards climb up on the back and walk along them. Probably doesn't look very professional but as long as you're careful its doable. Would ring a conservatory supplier and check it's safe but I've walked across one, knocked a vent out of a soffit and had to to put it back in, and I'm larger then the average bear ?  

That looks like self-cleaning glass panels on the conny roof? I have an 8 foot fiberglass Youngman stepladders which are great. Well worth buying a set.
Think you are right, when I went to view it was just dusty really but never got the job, hate glass roofs so made sure to price it high so id be smiling whole time dealing with it ;) winning quote ended up being £180 for 25 roof panes & minging finials and the bad access so wont try to beat that price 

I dont attempt conny panels that slope towards the house any more. If it can’t be reached from the gutter line off telescopics i dont bother. I’ve done one or two big ones like that and i went from the side but haven’t got the strength for that anymore not with my poles anyway ?

Personally i wouldn’t be walking up there on anything, one wrong movement and i dare say you’re going through the roof and if youre lucky enough to survive without being paralysed theyre more than likely gonna be pursuing you for a new conservatory roof £££££

ive heard of conservatory roof ladders leaving permanent marks in the struts, and if you dont know the customer from adam then whats to stop them saying “how ya gonna sort that one out then miracle man” 

not to sound negative or anything but there’s easier work out there people need to think before they install these things ?‍♂️

Youll probably come away feeling like you've walked a death march and could have done better and if you’ve got a fuss head “ooo i can still see a leaf there” you’re just gonna feel like strangling yourself. Wait til the endless millions bits of crud crud keep pouring out of the seams and its 1pm and high 20’s. You will sure wish you never ?

I dont attempt conny panels that slope towards the house any more. If it can’t be reached from the gutter line off telescopics i dont bother. I’ve done one or two big ones like that and i went from the side but haven’t got the strength for that anymore not with my poles anyway ?

Personally i wouldn’t be walking up there on anything, one wrong movement and i dare say you’re going through the roof and if youre lucky enough to survive without being paralysed theyre more than likely gonna be pursuing you for a new conservatory roof £££££

ive heard of conservatory roof ladders leaving permanent marks in the struts, and if you dont know the customer from adam then whats to stop them saying “how ya gonna sort that one out then miracle man” 

not to sound negative or anything but there’s easier work out there people need to think before they install these things ?‍♂️

Youll probably come away feeling like you've walked a death march and could have done better and if you’ve got a fuss head “ooo i can still see a leaf there” you’re just gonna feel like strangling yourself. Wait til the endless millions bits of crud crud keep pouring out of the seams and its 1pm and high 20’s. You will sure wish you never ?
Ah thanks for that never seen much about conservatory ladders always been scared of the whole con caving in as i climb up which promoted this post to try get over that fear but if it leaves marks its gonna annoy me to much anyways :D to scared to walk on things aswell I only got into windows as i learnt all could be done from ground with WFP.

Priced it to be ocd with the tiny speaks and annoying dirt running for hours which is why I didnt get the job done a few smaller ones with glass roof and i now put quote in alot higher than it would be for plastic in hope i dont get the job and if i do i can be happy the money is worth the annoyance of whole thing lol  

Weve done few conny roofs in the last month. more than normal anyway,  i think its because it hasnt rained in 6 weeks and they are absolutely filthy. Its gonna pelt it down in cardiff tomorrow at long last i cant wait. Holy water come at me! 

I try and schedule conny roofs for a rainy day if i can, the pre-soak helps and also when it comes to rinsing, heavy rain does help. They’re my least favorite of all ad ons but hey ho gotta make a shilling the hard way sometimes

We use little giant ladder/steps they work well on 99% of all conservatory cleans both inside and out , for a conservatory like the one in the picture it would be in the region of £800-1000 in and out , surprisingly many dont bat an eye lid at those sort of prices 

We use little giant ladder/steps they work well on 99% of all conservatory cleans both inside and out , for a conservatory like the one in the picture it would be in the region of £800-1000 in and out , surprisingly many dont bat an eye lid at those sort of prices 
A little to early on £££ wise to go much better than a step ladder about 6' I ended up quoting £375 for outside only figured that would give me enough to invest in some better equipment before the job knowing it should be covered after and abit of a wage still but got beat with £180 quote, makes me feel alot better about my quote seeing your numbers, felt to high when putting it in but guess it wasnt far wrong.

Back