Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

water ppm help!!!!

trevor peacock

Just been away and not made any water for three weeks. I've got a 450gpd system in my garage, my tap water is 330 ppm, before i went away my system was reducing it to 13, acceptable.

today I flushed for half an hour started filling my tank, checked the ppm and it's 27, why has it gone up so much? help please.

it may have had an algae attack having not run for some time or the membrane have dried up in the heat.
Hi @doug atkinson,  

Slightly off topic

How does algae affect the water?  I currently double DI harvested rain water and it sits for up to 10 days in 25L containers and is exposed to sunlight.  It's annoying having bits of algae floating in the backpack/barrells but can't say I've noticed much in terms of result on the glass or ppm.  Do you need a large quantity to affect ppm?  And what is it in the algae that creates impurities? 

Hi @doug atkinson,  

Slightly off topic

How does algae affect the water?  I currently double DI harvested rain water and it sits for up to 10 days in 25L containers and is exposed to sunlight.  It's annoying having bits of algae floating in the backpack/barrells but can't say I've noticed much in terms of result on the glass or ppm.  Do you need a large quantity to affect ppm?  And what is it in the algae that creates impurities? 

Small amounts of algea won't affect water tds - well it never did in the summer when I had 3 x 150 litre tanks on my trailer system. It was just annoying as I had to clean the tanks out once every couple of weeks, but I never had it floating on the water.

Two of the other local cleaners share water from an IBC tank that sits outside in the sun. Neither of them are in a hurry to wash the ibc tank out and that had green slime floating on the top when I last saw it.

However, they do complain that they have to keep washing their prepump filters regularily.

come on guys, help me out!

Check each membrane ppm and see what they are reading. Maybe 1 membrane that has gone.

Or it could be the filters. Remove the filters and then check the reading.

If it is biofouling of the membrane then there is nothing you can do. You can sometimes tell if you pull the membrane out and feel it you can feel a slimy residue.

Small amounts of algea won't affect water tds - well it never did in the summer when I had 3 x 150 litre tanks on my trailer system. It was just annoying as I had to clean the tanks out once every couple of weeks, but I never had it floating on the water.

Two of the other local cleaners share water from an IBC tank that sits outside in the sun. Neither of them are in a hurry to wash the ibc tank out and that had green slime floating on the top when I last saw it.

However, they do complain that they have to keep washing their prepump filters regularily.
Thanks for that reply, really helpful.

@trevor peacock are you all sorted, I would have thought you need to flush your system far an hour or more not running your system for 3 weeks, checking pre-filters etc as you basically have tap water sitting in the pre-filters and membranes if unprocessed water, someone on here said water can stagnate in 12 hours so a few things to check and eliminate.

@trevor peacock are you all sorted, I would have thought you need to flush your system far an hour or more not running your system for 3 weeks, checking pre-filters etc as you basically have tap water sitting in the pre-filters and membranes if unprocessed water, someone on here said water can stagnate in 12 hours so a few things to check and eliminate.
 Mine often gets left for a week or so. I would rather not, but it does seem to handle it ok. problem is that im not a big user of water at the mo. Maybe trevors the same. So instead of producing 5/600 litres in one go, Im doing 300 litres. i keep the ro indoors in a cool area after production and like I say, a week seems ok, but wouldnt like to chance much longer.

Back