Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water waste from RO

Craigmac

Just watched a video of water waste from a RO system. Don't know why as my area has water of around 55 - 65 ppm so DI only.

I cannot believe how much waste water is produced through RO. I know water is "cheaper than chips" but morally that is hard to stomach. 

With such a big drive to be more environmentally friendly, and the younger generation pushing for less waste (rightfully so as they are next in line to populate this planet) I wonder how many customers actually know the process of filtration (for the hard water areas) and how much waste it produces. 

so 2 questions 

Do the RO users on this forum recycle their waste water?

Do you think that if some of your customers saw the water waste produced to active pure water, then they would go back to trad windys?

I know this would be a case of Health and safety vs environment impact.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heard it all now, so because I live in a very hard water area I'm morally wrong to produce pure water but because you live in a soft water area you're ok?

I don't recycle my waste water, it goes back into the system and nature recycles it for me. 

I would've thought my customers want clean windows, there are any number of traditional window cleaners in my area yet they choose to pay me twice as much as they charge. 

Do you think that if some of your customers saw the water waste produced to active pure water, then they would go back to trad windys?

Me and the lads on here have heard all kinds of excuses in our time, but if I ever get sacked off for 'producing too much waste water' is the day I'll snap my brush in half and never clean another window.

Heard it all now, so because I live in a very hard water area I'm morally wrong to produce pure water but because you live in a soft water area you're ok?

I don't recycle my waste water, it goes back into the system and nature recycles it for me. 

I would've thought my customers want clean windows, there are any number of traditional window cleaners in my area yet they choose to pay me twice as much as they charge. 
was not meant to be an offensive post. 

And there are a lot more people doing worst things in this world than wasting water. 

It's just I was a little taken back how much water is wasted just to produce pure.

was not meant to be an offensive post. 

And there are a lot more people doing worst things in this world than wasting water. 

It's just I was a little taken back how much water is wasted just to produce pure.

yeh it can be a bit of a pain. mostly the blinkin water bill that hurts. all the water gets back into the system in the end. Do  you know, some of the water molecules we drink are more than 4.6 billion years old? mind boggling i know.⚗️  :coffee:

Some put the waste on there lawns and besides the water companies waste more than us with burst pipes and not maintaining there systems or investing in infrastructure.

The return to sewage treatment charge is higher per cubic metre than the cost of the water on a metre.One solution is to put every one on a metre this would reduce general waste.

Customers won't care about the environment and waste water they will never sack wfp cleaners for trad.The same as they don't care about using out of town window cleaners who have to drive to them in diesel vans polluting the air as they get to them.

Some put the waste on there lawns and besides the water companies waste more than us with burst pipes and not maintaining there systems or investing infrastructure.

The return to sewage treatment charge is higher per cubic metre than the cost of the water on a metre.One solution is to put every one on a metre this would reduce general waste.

Customers won't care about the environment and waste water they will never sack wfp cleaners for trad.The same as they don't care about using out of town window cleaners who have to drive to them in diesel vans polluting the air as they get to them.
good point 

Just watched a video of water waste from a RO system. Don't know why as my area has water of around 55 - 65 ppm so DI only.

I cannot believe how much waste water is produced through RO. I know water is "cheaper than chips" but morally that is hard to stomach. 

With such a big drive to be more environmentally friendly, and the younger generation pushing for less waste (rightfully so as they are next in line to populate this planet) I wonder how many customers actually know the process of filtration (for the hard water areas) and how much waste it produces. 

so 2 questions 

All water is 100% recycled we don’t have any more or any less of it now than when the Earth was made , all the waste water will go back into the water table and be re used again so how is that waist full ???? , in summer months I put it on the garden fir watering plants the rest of the time it goes Down the road . 

I don’t think most customers have the faintest idear how water is produced fir cleaning and evan if they did I think most would agree that all industries produce waist , ours is probably one of the few that is 100% recyclable 

I’ll put the waste pipe on the lawn in dry weather, rather than put on a sprinkler as some do. We bought the kids a large paddling pool the other day, so I put the waste pipe in there for a couple of nights rather than using water from the hose. I do try and think about recycling it where I can but I can’t afford to get too moral about it!

Just watched a video of water waste from RO system. Don't know why as my area has water of around 55 - 65 so DI only.

I cannot believe how much waste water is produced through RO. I know water is "cheaper than chips" but that is hard to stomach. 

2 questions 

Do you think that if some of your customers saw the water waste produced to active pure water, then they would go back to trad ?

I know this would be a case of Health and safety environment impact.
This spiked my conscious some years ago and I spent money on going DI only for a with issues with my memory I would forget to check my , also plastic bags of resin and 25kg of a non recyclable product going straight to landfill is no better, my waste water goes on the garden through the warmer months 

I opted to go wfp so I wouldn't be at risk of another accident and potentially spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair , not many clients if any at all would drop a wfp cleaner for a trad one on ethical grounds, ultimately you could compare carbon footprints and I would guess mine less than some of my clients, as for the younger generation pushing for less waste it's always them who seem to chucking sweet wrappers and cans and bottles in the street. But an interesting topic to raise non the less 

Some put the waste on there lawns and besides the water companies waste more than us with burst pipes and not maintaining there systems or investing in infrastructure.
Interestingly, the figures of just how much treated water is lost through leaks before it reaches the end user is ridiculous- between 20-25%! That's billions of litres per day. And of the water that does make it, most of it is taken for industrial use. I don't think our waste water is much in comparison.

Last week I set up my waste water to fill a bird bath at the top of the garden so it's always full and clean for the birds and the overflow is directed onto the lawn to keep it alive during summer. Seems quite nice for my little section of the environment I'm looking after.

What is the environmental impact of wasting water? Maybe the wasted energy/resourses that were used to treat the water?.. Could be a morally questionable (but not illegal) thing to have RO's wasting water during a drought but we live on a wet island and don't get a lot of droughts.

I wonder what the water companies do with the waste water from their industrial size R/O's and as above, they can be the worst we had a water leak in our street for 2 weeks despite been contacted multiple times nothing got done until I commented on a post on there Fb page about water saving devices and the 1,000's of litres of water that was being wasted and nothing was been done 

Latest Posts

Back