Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water heating wfp system

Justin1

Hi all, I’m setting my van up next week for wfp and after reading a few posts I’ve decided I need heat what options have I got? Any advice will be appreciated 

thanks 

Hi all, I’m setting my van up next week for wfp and after reading a few posts I’ve decided I need heat what options have I got? Any advice will be appreciated 

thanks 

My advice; don't bother with hot water just yet. Get your kit sorted out and get your business firmly established before you go spending £5000 on a diesel heating system that isn't a necessity to have.

If this is a long term consideration, then I would probably get suitable microbore hose on my hose reel that will cope with hot water in the future. Many use standard Gardiner microbore. I would also consider using 1/2" heater radiator pipe from the pump to your van port/or hose reel, depending on how you set your system up (fixed or non fixed hose reel.)

We have been cold since we converted to wfp 14 years ago.

Spruces comments above are very wise advice , don’t try and run before you can walk , we were cold for 10 years and have had hot for the last 5 years it is much better but not cheap to run , my advice would be concentrate on building a good compact round then at a later date consider hot then . 

My advice; don't bother with hot water just yet. Get your kit sorted out and get your business firmly established before you go spending £5000 on a diesel heating system that isn't a necessity to have.

If this is a long term consideration, then I would probably get suitable microbore hose on my hose reel that will cope with hot water in the future. Many use standard Gardiner microbore. I would also consider using 1/2" heater radiator pipe from the pump to your van port/or hose reel, depending on how you set your system up (fixed or non fixed hose reel.)

We have been cold since we converted to wfp 14 years ago.
Hi spruce thanks for replying 

I read on here that when I get a new customer I should advise them that it will take 2-3 washes before it’s clean, when I do anything I like to do things properly so I’m thinking that if I have hot water I will be able to make them clean first and every time? Or am I wrong? 

Thanks 

I read on here that when I get a new customer I should advise them that it will take 2-3 washes before it’s clean, when I do anything I like to do things properly so I’m thinking that if I have hot water I will be able to make them clean first and every time? Or am I wrong? 

Thanks 
I'll jump in here, not sure where or how old the info is, but it should be 100% first time every time, yes there is the potential of the odd bit of spotting even after 20 cleans as we all make mistakes every once in a while. 

Thanks 

You should get it clean first time with cold water no problem it will take a bit longer but there is no excuse for not getting it clean technique is key and different techniques are needed for different types of windows wether using hot or cold water .

You should get it clean first time with cold water no problem it will take a bit longer but there is no excuse for not getting it clean technique is key and different techniques are needed for different types of windows wether using hot or cold water .

Honestly I read an article on here before I made an account 

it said a guide to wfp I don’t know who wrote it or when I’ve tried to find it and can’t! 

Basically it said you should explain to customers that it will take 2-3 goes before it’s an acceptable standard! So I thought I can’t really see myself doing that I could imagine me spending an hour to do an £8 job to be honest so I thought I would need to get heat to do a better job! But anyway I think I will just stick to the cold water system I have provisionally bought

thanks for all your help! 

It should take you one wash to get them to an acceptable standard. If they've never been washed for years, or been done traditionally for years, then you might have the odd spotting problem, especially if they have vents. Hot water won't prevent this, it will clean the frames better but won't prevent soap leaching out of rubbers or dirty runs out of vents. 

Poor quality/old UPVC window frames also oxidise. Our lounge windows are a prime example. After they have been cleaned, some droplets on the frame absorb the white chalky surface and then combine with others and run down the glass leaving a line of white spots down the glass. Its done this for 15 years.

The windows are south facing and get most of the sun. The same windows at the back that don't get much sun are fine.

We did a first clean yesterday at we had milky coloured rinse water. The first clean took a little longer than usual but once we had finished they were 'perfect.'

We usually find the best way to handle first cleans is a good frame and glass scub, then rinse well and leave to dry. Then come back and do glass only. 99% of the time this leaves a near perfect result. We usually return a couple of hours later and thoroughly inspect the clean.

It was advise given on a forum to tell the customer that it would take a few cleans to get a good result, but its a cop out for not doing the job properly first time. There are too many window cleaners in my opinion who do a 'splash and dash' job. I quick whip around the house, knock for money and off.

Anyone tried one of these little hot water heaters and got any feedback on them?

hotwash.jpg

Some guy is making these trolley setups and I was mulling over the idea of modifying my setup to carry one if they're any good?

Honestly I read an article on here before I made an account 

it said a guide to wfp I don’t know who wrote it or when I’ve tried to find it and can’t! 

Basically it said you should explain to customers that it will take 2-3 goes before it’s an acceptable standard! So I thought I can’t really see myself doing that I could imagine me spending an hour to do an £8 job to be honest so I thought I would need to get heat to do a better job! But anyway I think I will just stick to the cold water system I have provisionally bought

thanks for all your help! 
Ah ok, to be honest the 2-3 cleans to get it right was something we used to say years ago to cover our backs if you like as 11 years ago and more for some we were all newbies and still learning on the job. 

Anyone tried one of these little hot water heaters and got any feedback on them?

View attachment 17097

Some guy is making these trolley setups and I was mulling over the idea of modifying my setup to carry one if they're any good?

This was Peter Fogwills trolley 10 or 12 years ago. He stopped selling the gas heaters. It was originally his version of a twin 25 liter trolley, but to be honest it wasn't a patch on the PureFreedom trolley. I had the original one without the gas modification, used it a couple of times and then sold it.

Any idea of how well the heaters worked? - They're all over ebay (and probably other places) and not that expensive. My windy says hot water in winter is awesome for warming up the pole and stopping the hands getting too cold lol hence the interest (well i also thought about the customers a bit too)

This was Peter Fogwills trolley 10 or 12 years ago. He stopped selling the gas heaters. It was originally his version of a twin 25 liter trolley, but to be honest it wasn't a patch on the PureFreedom trolley. I had the original one without the gas modification, used it a couple of times and then sold it.
Afternoon @spruce. I too was a peter fogwell customer. I bought a gas water heater off him, it was called the fogwash. That was probably around ten years ago and it packed up the end of last winter! Proper value for money ?

View attachment 17097

I think in this day and age with all things considered you would probably be arrested for pushing something like that around the streets , people would think it was some type of bomb ???

Was it any good though? 
The gas heater was fairly basic but is worked well with wfp because it was a 6lpm heater. All the gas heaters you can buy off Ebay are 8lpm.

Peter Fogwill never explained why he stopped importing this heater. Was it because he was selling it into an industry that was unregulated and he could be held responsible for misuse or was it that the seller wanted him to place a quantity order which would have meant a big financial outlay?

Last edited by a moderator:
The gas heater was fairly basic but is worked well with wfp because it was a 6lpm heater. All the gas heaters you can buy off Ebay are 8lpm.

Peter Fogwell never explained why he stopped importing this heater. Was it because he was selling it into an industry that was unregulated and he could be held responsible for misuse or was it that the seller wanted him to place a quantity order which would have meant a big financial outlay?

Ime guessing selling something like this you would need to be gas safe qualified to assemble and test it to make sure it was safe ??? It would be very easy to drop yourself in it with the authority’s if something went wrong ???

View attachment 17097

View attachment 17097

Whose making them @Tango

If its Peter then his site hasn't been updated for years.

http://www.window-tools.com/water-fed-pole-trolley-system.htm

He is still advertising his Aqua Tap which he gave up on years back and linked up with Gardiners for a lighter, allegedly better version.

View attachment 17097

I really don't see 2 men lifting that in out of a van easily, let alone you lifting it in and out the back of your car on your own, plus the health and safety implications for you transporting it in your car and if you would be insured to do so. 

Pointless making an investment on something like that, hot water is a luxury not a necessity, many of us have managed over 10 years using cold water even in the worst of winters 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back