Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Anybody else hate the summer?

Suhrly

Surely I can't be the only one who has come to hate working in the summer!?! The heat, the sweat, the sunburn, the flies, the insects, the webs. Getting in absolutely knackered from the heat. Customers coming out saying, 'You must be loving this weather?' As sweat is dripping off every inch of my body and I'm on the verge of keeling over. Actually, Keith, no I'm bloody well NOT enjoying this weather! Sure, I prefer it over not getting out to work at all due to rain or snow or whatever, but give me an overcast little bit on the chilly side day in March any day! ?

Its my least favourite time of year to work also. everythings twice as hard to clean as well because it's baked & dried on/ no rain to have pre softened any dirt. The heat drains my energy & i struggle in anything over 20, burn very easily too as i’m fair. I wear long sleeved t-shirts which helps a lot otherwise i’m spending a small fortune on factor 50 every week. Only takes me 20 mins to go red raw. 

What kind of hats you guys wearing for the summer ? Looking for something really light that gives all around sun protection 

Its my least favourite time of year to work also. everythings twice as hard to clean as well because it's baked & dried on/ no rain to have pre softened any dirt. The heat drains my energy & i struggle in anything over 20, burn very easily too as i’m fair. I wear long sleeved t-shirts which helps a lot otherwise i’m spending a small fortune on factor 50 every week. Only takes me 20 mins to go red raw. 

I'm very similar to you mate. Burn very easy and I also wear long sleeve shirt which also doesn't help with the heat!

What kind of hats you guys wearing for the summer ? Looking for something really light that gives all around sun protection 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Result-Unisex-Adults-Fold-Up-Legionnaires/dp/B00H811E5O/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=Result+Unisex+Adults+Fold-up+Legionnaires+Cap&qid=1563289396&s=clothing&sr=1-2

I've just bought one of these mate. Helps with getting the back of your neck and ears getting sunburnt. Possibility of looking a bit of a t*t, but who cares lol.

Cowboy hat/rancher hats are the best. I have an australian bush hat too, but they’re all pretty big & get in the way knocking against things etc, so i opt for a baseball cap and shades most of the time only thing is it dont protect your neck. My hairs halfway to long now so hopefully by next summer be below my armpits and will definitely cover my neck.

i know suhrly, its either cover up and sweat, or wear a t-shirt and burn. First option for me i dont fancy skin cancer

I also put suncream on before I start but I still want to be as covered as I can cos working in the sun for hours on end is just not good.

I swapped my days around this week to suit did hedge trimming today and friday when its raining ill do the windows that were meant to be done today ? 

Last edited by a moderator:
I must be the odd one out  hear I love working this time of year ,yes it’s hot ,but so much nicer than cold dark damp winters days m much prefer it 

Your not alone @Suhrly I must admit my ideal cleaning day is a mild overcast day, no rain just patchy cloud, not to hot not to cold.......... you know typical British summers day ?.

I prefer no sun i prefer just a nice cool day with a nice breeze that is the perfect window cleaning day for me ?

We also get more rain in the spring/summer then we do in Autumn/Winter i gathered ? so the cold months are not so bad.

The only 2 cold months in the year are January & Ferbruary(very bad) , once it gets to March again you have spring to look forward to, Novemeber and December are always pretty mild and they go fast because of the run up to christmas.

I love it, I hate the winter,  Yes it's hard to work but I think cold rain and wind is far worse.  Love the long daylight hours as well.

PJJ you should be loving it, you're living the dream working in such a beautiful part of the UK.  Do the windows then go lye on the beach, bit of a surf, bbq, beer, living the dream  : )

I love the sun! Today here was mid 20s. Ideal. I find I have to drink so much water (about 4 litres a day). My p*ss bottle in the back of the van has hardly anything in it at the end of a hot day! Occasionally get the shirt off (where no one is about) otherwise I end up with a farmers tan!

I love it, I hate the winter,  Yes it's hard to work but I think cold rain and wind is far worse.  Love the long daylight hours as well.

PJJ you should be loving it, you're living the dream working in such a beautiful part of the UK.  Do the windows then go lye on the beach, bit of a surf, bbq, beer, living the dream  : )

Lol funny you say that this is where I was this afternoon ??

4B3A7052-C643-4D6A-8A19-A5FA8D86D009.jpeg

E12CF592-24E9-4710-A0FD-A33B3F3B1396.jpeg

8A973D6B-DCD2-4FB9-98F4-30098F3AB38E.jpeg

I love this weather just not when I'm working in it!  For work, I way prefer working in the winter even though it has it's challenges......I suppose Spring & Autumn are the best times in this job.

Don't know if anyone else has had this but today on most jobs I had loads (hundreds) of tiny flies on glass, frames etc.  Not sure what that was about but at least they don't leave red stains like those little red spiders when you squash them!

Stay cool everyone ?

I love this weather just not when I'm working in it!  For work, I way prefer working in the winter even though it has it's challenges......I suppose Spring & Autumn are the best times in this job.

Don't know if anyone else has had this but today on most jobs I had loads (hundreds) of tiny flies on glass, frames etc.  Not sure what that was about but at least they don't leave red stains like those little red spiders when you squash them!

Stay cool everyone ?

They don’t like hot water and soon go away ???? dead or alive 

Problem is with the heat, you constantly feel the need to drink to stay hydrated and then spend all day needing the loo!

I wear old ravers type hat, you know, kevin and perry style. covers bit of your neck and ears too. 

Stay cool everyone ?
yeh had em down here too. think they're thunder flies. billions of em. 

Not keen on the heat, did a conny roof a couple of weeks back and my god i was drenched in sweat. I do use sun screen before i go (if it's sunny) but having a balding patch which still has hair makes that a weird place to apply it. Thankfully it does a darn good job of stopping me going red too which happens quick with me. Most years i tend to hide indoors / in shade anyway during the summer so i don't really get caught by it often but since taking up WC I've had to get acquainted with the sticky stuff again.

I like it warm and sunny yes but not strong sun that makes you feel like you're being cooked alive - that just can't be healthy.

Latest Posts

Back