Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Advice on increasing prices....... carefully?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Ana

I'm keen to increase prices of some work I brought around 4 months ago. Some of this work has already had a increase from the original cleaner so that's sorted. However, a few areas could do with a bump in the right direction In my view as they are a tad low. We're talking a quid or so, nothing major.

This round was once a trad round, converted to WFP six months ago before being sold to me. I knew at the time the prices were a bit low in places so I don't feel dupped. When I brought the round the original cleaner said he'd increased prices in places and any loses were covered by the increase of the other properties and to keep the prices in line for the time being is for the best (don't want to rock the boat straight off the bat do we). 

Im keen not to lose any one right now as I have the round nicely running and turning a decent profit every week, so how do you ask for more without being cheeky or offensive, worse still cancelling completely!

Do a calculation. If you double your prices you can afford to loose half your customers.

I usually like to do it on the last invoice of the year. "New price in 2020: 15£". Never had a complaint that way.

It's only a handful of houses as thankfully the former cleaner had already bit the bullet and said he's putting prices up. Could I lose half the houses, no not really but would adding another couple of quid break there bank balance, I doubt it.

still it's a risk so I'm looking for a way of putting it where it's a slam dunk "yeah sure I'll pay a few quid more". I don't think it will be a massive issue, a couple of customers have said to me the price is to low! One customer was at a tenner, I mentioned in passing if I quoted the job it would be £15 (three bed semi, large one, with a small con and bifold doors).

She said I'll have a word with my husband, low and behold they said yes to £15! Surprised and happy in equal measure ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently put up my prices on over 400 customers I have lost about 6 price rises ranged from £1 to £15 depending on job price , I had some work that hadn’t been put up in 10 years and was £6:50 per go I put them all up to £10 most accepted it and said that they had been expecting a rise for quite some time . I don’t  know your area or your prices but I don’t think anyone should complain about a £1 increase , try a few and see how it goes , explain to the customers that your costs  are constantly rising and unfortunately you are earning less so have to increase the price by a small amount . Most will understand 

The first time I ever raised my prices I was almost asking customers  if it was ok which looking back was stupid but I was only in business for a year and frightened of losing people. A few years down the line and knowing how quick I pick up new work and extras this time I just put a note on invoices. I have raised my prices slightly so from next time your price will be £xx. Didn't have a single customer drop. Also had a few I resented doing cos I had initially quoted too low so I put them up by a few quid some in the hope they may cancel but all just paid new amount next clean

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I don't think a few quid makes to much difference to the masses, it's not like I'm asking for double it's literally a quid in many cases and people want there windows cleaning and generally are understanding about costs incurred.

Funny old day, one new customer for £6 (tiny bungalow), one old customer lost for £7 (can't afford it right now) and finally one price risen by £2!

So overall I'm a whole £1 up for the day haha

Funny old day, one new customer for £6 (tiny bungalow), one old customer lost for £7 (can't afford it right now) and finally one price risen by £2!

So overall I'm a whole £1 up for the day haha
£1 up for the day and doing less work for it. Thats defo a step in the right direction. ?

£1 per house per year seems to be adequate right now, (standard or averaged size) larger houses £2 per year, those with very large houses generally cant afford regular service anyway and i just do on the one offs as and when for £50/£80/£100 or whatever. suits me as tbh the water usage is too much to have those kind of houses on a round anyway.

Highest paying houses on the 6 week rounds are £40/£50 and i wouldn't put these up as for some time to come they will be good earners. Its always the lowest priced work i’m looking to put up (the stuff you start asking yourself on) you’ll know when you have a little think to yourself this isn’t worth the paper it’s written on kind of thoughts. I wouldnt raise prices more than once a year or if youve been doing it less than 12 months. I go in line with the tax year, council tax bills etc go up in april so i raise prices in april, prior written notice goes out first thing in the new year. 

If i was you id grin and bear it til either new year or april, if you've only had the round 4 months its a bit soon to raise them. No offence but if you buy underpriced work you know what you’re letting yourself in for ?

£1 per house per year seems to be adequate right now, (standard or averaged size) larger houses £2 per year, those with very large houses generally cant afford regular service anyway and i just do on the one offs as and when for £50/£80/£100 or whatever. suits me as tbh the water usage is too much to have those kind of houses on a round anyway.

Highest paying houses on the 6 week rounds are £40/£50 and i wouldn't put these up as for some time to come they will be good earners. Its always the lowest priced work i’m looking to put up (the stuff you start asking yourself on) you’ll know when you have a little think to yourself this isn’t worth the paper it’s written on kind of thoughts. I wouldnt raise prices more than once a year or if youve been doing it less than 12 months. I go in line with the tax year, council tax bills etc go up in april so i raise prices in april, prior written notice goes out first thing in the new year. 

If i was you id grin and bear it til either new year or april, if you've only had the round 4 months its a bit soon to raise them. No offence but if you buy underpriced work you know what you’re letting yourself in for ?

We love big detached houses , manor houses ,national trust, English heritage  etc nice earners £40-250 depending on size wish we had a lot more , here’s a couple we do .

C6279167-55F9-45BB-B8E1-B06BED993D5B.jpeg

63A0BEDA-F929-486A-8E27-EE8937B7C347.jpeg

37EB313D-FFFE-4E26-B514-BB8632AC4D6A.jpeg

2B9BFFAE-96A2-4E3A-A85D-2C38B277CAB9.jpeg

Some might big houses there @Pjj largest one I do is a six bed for £50 every 8 weeks, takes 45-50 mins so I'm happy with that overall.

I like big detached houses much nicer than doing 3 bed semis at the rate of 6-7 per hour , I guess we are lucky as there is a lot of theses houses where I am and we do do quite a few , the 4 storey one is up for sale if you fancy it 1:95 million ??

The first one i dont think i’ve got a decent enough pole for those top 3 windows, 35 ft is our max and our poles bend like crazy as they’re not top of the range we have mid range hybrids

Aghrr, that one with the glass fence. I got a customer with that. I explained its like doing a whole house extra. especially as they need doing both sides. funny how some customers just dont seem to understand.

Latest Posts

Back