Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Do screwfix have polarised sunnies?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

ks789

Better get some new sunnies, lost my last pair recently. Dont think they were polarised and they still made me squint when the sun reflected off the glass.I'd heard screwfix do some ok cheap ones, but i just had a look and though they had quite a selection i couldnt see any listed as polarized which is what you need really, like fishermen would use. Anyone know?

People discussed hats as well the other day. Im gonna get one with a wider brim to cover more. might look a bit daft but this suns really hammered me, give me a right skull ache. And i dont usually bother with any sunscreen, but I think I will. Just hate all that grease, and always used to make me have spots. Wish i could do my work in the night time lately, ive already cancelled the next two days. i honestly cant work in it for long. Sweat buckets/headaches. I'll catch up when cooler.

Better get some new sunnies, lost my last pair recently. Dont think they were polarised and they still made me squint when the sun reflected off the glass.I'd heard screwfix do some ok cheap ones, but i just had a look and though they had quite a selection i couldnt see any listed as polarized which is what you need really, like fishermen would use. Anyone know?

People discussed hats as well the other day. Im gonna get one with a wider brim to cover more. might look a bit daft but this suns really hammered me, give me a right skull ache. And i dont usually bother with any sunscreen, but I think I will. Just hate all that grease, and always used to make me have spots. Wish i could do my work in the night time lately, ive already cancelled the next two days. i honestly cant work in it for long. Sweat buckets/headaches. I'll catch up when cooler.
I never used to use polarised sunglasses,   but the latest ones I bought on ebay are polarised and are much better with glare. I think they were about £8.50 each.  Pretty pleased with them, they're not as flimsy as my last pair so may get more than a year out of them as well!

The most likely thing to give you a headache in this weather is dehydration so make sure you are drinking plenty.  If customers offer me a drink in this weather I always ask for water and i have about 7 bottles full in the car too.  Hat is a good idea and not something I've bothered with but I think I too will get one after reading that thread you mention.  All helps.  I hate sun cream but I put it on anyway or the Mrs would protest ?  but I can see the sense in wearing it. We are in a high risk profession when it comes to skin cancer so its worth taking precautions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never used to use polarised sunglasses,   but the latest ones I bought on ebay are polarised and are much better with glare. I think they were about £8.50 each.  Pretty pleased with them, they're not as flimsy as my last pair so may get more than a year out of them as well!

The most likely thing to give you a headache in this weather is dehydration so make sure you are drinking plenty.  If customers offer me a drink in this weather I always ask for water and i have about 7 bottles full in the car too.  Hat is a good idea and not something I've bothered with but I think I too will get one after reading that thread you mention.  All helps.  I hate sun cream but I put it on anyway or the Mrs would protest ?  but I can see the sense in wearing it. We are in a high risk profession when it comes to skin cancer so its worth taking precautions.

I know mate, makes sense. My generation as kids we never used any cover and i remember the nearest thing was our mum putting ambre solair after tan lotion on us once we'd already baked and peeled lol. Much more knowledge about now. i clean the windows of this elderly retired doctoer.who had skin cancer on his face. 

I was looking for some a while back.  Ended up getting some foster grants for £35 from tesco's but they are available at all the big supermarkets.  They're no good for window cleaning as they're too dark, they are polarized but you can't see much with them on.  The lens is a dark smoked lense.

I've got another pair that have an amber lens, these would be ideal but they don't hold on my head when looking down.  The amber lens is better as it's brighter but is still polarized.

I did see some amber lens ones at decathlon for about £12 and they had big lenses but didn't get them as I thought they might have been a bit heavy.  

I would recommend looking for some amber lens polarised and some that will not easily slide off your head.  

Forgive the daft question but what are polarised sun glasses then?

I got the screfix dewalt pair scottish recommended, fit great and can see well with them. Polarised, I believe is so it stops the reflections of sunlight glaring back, which is crucial for us.

I got the screfix dewalt pair scottish recommended, fit great and can see well with them. Polarised, I believe is so it stops the reflections of sunlight glaring back, which is crucial for us.

Also picked up another hat. A cheap one from mountain warehouse, only £3.99 reduced from 15. Went for baseball cap style but with foreign legion neck covering which will help, dont care what it looks like. Always feel it on the neck there. Have a polo with the collar turned up covers some of it, but the legionair bit will help no end

Yeah that's correct.  With polarized you can see through the glass, with normal sunglasses you can't because the glare is still there on the glass.  They don't completely remove the glare but they reduce it allowing you more chance to see specks of dirt on the glass.  

One way to test them is to look at an upstairs window that has the sun shining on, without polarized glasses and try and look at what's in the room, then put the polarized glasses on and do the same.

It's not just to benefit our work though, that glare could be damaging to our eyes so it's best to do what you can to protect them.  No good retiring rich, blind, crippled with arthritis and skin cancer.

Yeah that's correct.  With polarized you can see through the glass, with normal sunglasses you can't because the glare is still there on the glass.  They don't completely remove the glare but they reduce it allowing you more chance to see specks of dirt on the glass.  

One way to test them is to look at an upstairs window that has the sun shining on, without polarized glasses and try and look at what's in the room, then put the polarized glasses on and do the same.

It's not just to benefit our work though, that glare could be damaging to our eyes so it's best to do what you can to protect them.  No good retiring rich, blind, crippled with arthritis and skin cancer.
Polarised are essential, 

i had prescription  lenses made up, 

in vision express they have a demo to show the difference.

also, hat i used last 5 years is the french legion type, looks **** but protects ears and neck.

Mr B

Latest Posts

Back