Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Public liability insurance

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Depends if you want to be covered for the window you are working on or not , if you do then gleaming are one of the few that will cover this but they are expensive and have a high excess charge , we have a cheaper policy and arnt covered for the window worked on but covers for everything else  , I would just pay for new pain of glass if I damaged it as far as ime concerned it’s cheaper that way as the average double glazed unit won’t cost more than £100  anyway and the excess will be a minimum of £250 so not worth claiming and having higher premiums 

Depends if you want to be covered for the window you are working on or not
Reading the posts on here I used to think that. I have always been with A-plan and lots of people on here said they don't cover the window you're working on etc. When I last renewed I asked them and they said its an old wives tale, even went to the underwriter to check. They said there would need to be a specific limitation written in the policy which you would be made explicitly aware of.

With regards to the OP question, go with any of them, do check the windows covered but don't waste too much time on it as it will be between £12-£15 a month, the savings really aren't worth chasing on this one.

Reading the posts on here I used to think that. I have always been with A-plan and lots of people on here said they don't cover the window you're working on etc. When I last renewed I asked them and they said its an old wives tale, even went to the underwriter to check. They said there would need to be a specific limitation written in the policy which you would be made explicitly aware of.

With regards to the OP question, go with any of them, do check the windows covered but don't waste too much time on it as it will be between £12-£15 a month, the savings really aren't worth chasing on this one.
It was the original broker that told me and I checked my policy to confirm, many don’t cover the window. I use Gleaming. Yes it’s a bit more expensive but like you said it’s not worth the small saving not having it. 

They said there would need to be a specific limitation written in the policy which you would be made explicitly aware of.
I had a policy where it was written into the policy but I wasn't told. When you ask for a basic insurance policy that covers you to wash windows you shouldn't need to read all the way through it. Fortunately nothing happened because I work on some old curved glass windows and it would have cost circa £1000 to replace. 

I had a policy where it was written into the policy but I wasn't told. When you ask for a basic insurance policy that covers you to wash windows you shouldn't need to read all the way through it. Fortunately nothing happened because I work on some old curved glass windows and it would have cost circa £1000 to replace. 
I added ladder work onto my PL this year, the limitations say window cleaning excluding rope access work. The guy rang me to renew mine, I sent him away to get a price for ladder work, Increase to 5mil, find out if I they covered the window and confirm that they offered employee cover should I decide to employ before its due for renewal. His advice from the underwriter was that not covering something being worked on is such an important limitation it would have to be clearly written as a specific thing and told to you personally. I imagine had you had an issue you would have had good cause to hold them accountable for it.

Yes it’s a bit more expensive but like you said it’s not worth the small saving not having it. 
The lad came back to me with a price of £14 and started tryna justify the extra £2, I told him to shut up and sign me up. He went off and did the legwork for me, IMO earned a small increase like that. From his tone I imagine some tradespeople will shop around, my theory was I will make more than the entire policy cost today alone so I ain't shopping around to save £20

It's not an old wives tale ask them to put in writing that you are covered for the window you are working on most won’t , or if they do there is a huge excess making it unviable to claim anyway , I have damaged two windows in 20 years and paid for the glass myself cost me a total of  £65  so I was better off paying for it anyway, plus insurance wouldn’t have paid beacause of the excess 

When I found out I actually said to them they'd mis sold me the policy. 
I think you're right mate.

It's not an old wives tale ask them to put in writing that you are covered for the window you are working on most won’t , or if they do there is a huge excess making it unviable to claim anyway , I have damaged two windows in 20 years and paid for the glass myself cost me a total of  £65  so I was better off paying for it anyway, plus insurance wouldn’t have paid beacause of the excess 
I'm literally quoting what the underwriter told the guy at A-Plan. To be fair its an easy criticism to make when you cover the glass. It makes perfect sense though, when you buy third party insurance they make you explicitly aware it won't cover your car. Seems really basic when you think about it.

Yeah I will go for the cheaper one in that case I know a place I can get cheap glass units from if need be who are you with? 

Thanks 

But will you be able to fit them on the 2nd floor if needed?

It's all well and good saying you can find replacement glass cheap but who here in reality is going to climb up 2 floors and dismantle a upvc frame, remove the old glass and fit a new one?

Come on lads, fess up, which ones of you would and which ones wouldn't? - I know i bloody won't.

The average window is fine, but I clean a conservatory roof every 8 weeks with self cleaning glass some panes are over 1 metre in length, I am guessing they are more than £65 more like £100's per pane, around 10 years ago I paid to have a unit in a narrow patio door replaced it was around £65 then I think as it was safety glass. 

I am with Gleaming but this will be my last year, as it's a one size fits all covering multiple cleaning trades so you pay through the nose for it at over £300 a year for £5 million, I have sacked off my last school this year,so I don't need £5 million anymore so will drop to £1 million next year and shop around. 

Last edited by a moderator:
We also have insurance to cover the glass we are working on.

The one clean we do will cost around £3000 to replace one glass panel. There are dozens of them. Thankfully one of these glass panels exploded one night about 3 weeks after we had cleaned. We found out that the suppliers had made and fitted the incorrect glass in the units and relaced 5 of them.

But what would have happened if this panel had exploded when we were cleaning it - we would have been blamed.

Last year one of the glass panels in the school atrium we clean use blew out with the heat and expansion of the aluminium frame. We could have been working on in when it happened. Again another £3000 glass pane which needed a crane to lift it into place with scaffolding. I did ask how much the replacement panel did cost with all the added crane and scaffolding hire but never got a reply as they hadn't recieved all the invoices.

If we were just doing residential then I would stick with a very basic cover. Replacing a glass window in most cases is cheaper than the excess the insured has to pay. We have never damaged a glass window in the 16 years. We have only broken the odd pot and ornament over the years.

Last edited by a moderator:
But will you be able to fit them on the 2nd floor if needed?

It's all well and good saying you can find replacement glass cheap but who here in reality is going to climb up 2 floors and dismantle a upvc frame, remove the old glass and fit a new one?

Come on lads, fess up, which ones of you would and which ones wouldn't? - I know i bloody won't.

Generally the glazed units are fitted from inside the property so they cannot be removed outside by burglars , one of my guys used it fit double glazing so he would do it should the worst happen ?? 

That makes it even worse lol - you then got to enter the custys home! I won't do that unless it's terraced and i've got to walk through.

Either way, i've got my £1mil in place although after reading about that windy the other month who had his van emptied and they refused to pay out, i have to wonder if their insurance is worth the PDF it's displayed on.

That makes it even worse lol - you then got to enter the custys home! I won't do that unless it's terraced and i've got to walk through.

Either way, i've got my £1mil in place although after reading about that windy the other month who had his van emptied and they refused to pay out, i have to wonder if their insurance is worth the PDF it's displayed on.
Public liability insurance won’t cover contents of your van that comes under your vehicle insurance , again unless it’s declared on the policy you won’t be covered for theft , on my vans I have separate insurance for the vehicle , the system and poles are on a separate policy on an agreed settlement should it be stolen or burnt out 

See my policy is supposed to cover me for theft of £1k worth of gear... and presumably the other windy had that too but after reading of them refusing it I'm somewhat confused as to what is actually covered by that £1k theft cover.

Back