Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

How many customers do you handle?

Guest Laz

Just out of curiosity, if you don't mind saying. I work with a relative for a few days so would't know how many he does. I am considering starting on my own so I want to know how many customers is a nice amount.

I would assume the person I work with does a lot as his prices are low, he works from 9 till about 5.

Also what would you charge for an average 3 bed semi?

FRONT:

1 bay window

1 large bed room window up stairs

1 bathroom window (small)

BACK:

1 large kitchen window

2 patio doors

2 average size bedroom windows up stairs

I would say 4.25?

Thanks everyone! :cool:

I would say that it will depend on how frequently you intend to clean, and the area you live in.

I generally aim to do about 15 3 bed houses per day, with half of them having conservatories.

I have also increased my minimum charge from £10 to £12 recently - with no bad effect.

Pricing on just as you described, without a minimum charge I would estimate about £9.00

as an idea though - if you want to clean 4 days per week (allow for bad weather) then 15 houses x 4 days, x 4 weeks (assuming you clean every 4 weeks) then you would need 240 average customers.

Of course if some have you every other time then you would need more.

Best advice though - start canvassing, and keep going

when your books are full, trim out the time wasters, and ones stuck on their own

After that - put the prices up a bit to make it more profitable, and replace any that you lose.

Every round has it's own set up - if you work hard, then you will make it work on your terms.

Dave

Just out of curiosity, if you don't mind saying. I work with a relative for a few days so would't know how many he does. I am considering starting on my own so I want to know how many customers is a nice amount.

I would assume the person I work with does a lot as his prices are low, he works from 9 till about 5.

FRONT:

1 bay window

BACK:

1 large kitchen window

2 patio doors

I would say 4.25?

agree with flipfast. about £9 not worth getting out of the car for less dont undervalue urself and at that price all our customers get cobwebs brushe away and sills wiped as standard the love that

Guest colinvansmith

you may be targetting the wrong houses. Forget council and ex council areas. Concentrate on the most affluent areas and work back the way only when you have targeted the best area do you think about moving on to council areas. Speaking from experience all you will get with council areas is grief constantly chasing money owed etc.

Col

Guest Sienna_Brown

I just handle one customer at a time. I believe in quality not quan***y.

Quality is something really important. Unfortunately, not everybody can afford it ... ;)

• 5 months later...

£9 min charge haha you must be kidding??that would be great but you wouldnt be able to do that in leeds half of them have heart failure when i say a fiver??

dont get me wrong some people i do are happy and ive got a few houses at 10 plus pounds these are nice houses.

ive had big detached houses in the private new build areas and they ring me and ask a price i said £8 they put the phone down??ive got some houses at £3 upwards people are in difficult times and just dont wanna pay it.any money i see is better than nowt id love to be able to charge that but id lose more than id gain if yer get what am saying.

think most of the windys in leeds are doing 3 bed houses for £3??wich makes it very hard for new starters.

ive targeted loads and loads of posh big houses in leeds and have not had anything from them.

down south its a different game.

3 pounds for 3 bed houses? This is ridiculous, I know people are desperate for work in some areas but theres no point in doing jobs for that amount...

I'm still baffled to understand why window cleaners under-sell themselves with these stupid prices.

Theres a printing shop near me and the cleaner there does 3 massive windows for 50 pence every week. Just makes me laugh.

Guest ex-jedi

FRONT:

1 bay window

BACK:

1 large kitchen window

2 patio doors

I would say 4.25?

That seems way to keen to me, but the amount you can charge varies pretty wildly from region to region. It's probably best to talk to other windies in the area to get an idea what the going rate is.

It has been said before areas do differ in price, but I could also name the widow cleaners in my area that will low ball, and the ones that will be more reasonably charged.

I tend to compare my pricing to other outfits that are around the same size rather than, say a guy who has a hundred or so customers around where he lives, and just walks the round, and doesn't have the expense of a car.

Also what the customers is getting will make a difference as well. Allot on here seems to clean frames and sills etc in with there price. Personally we don't we just clean the glass, and run the edges with a scrim. We will wipe down cross bars to avoid any drips or runs though.

My point is if you just take into account the price, you could potentially be miss lead and charge incorrectly. That is why it is always better to do a projection for the year, and look at expenses etc and expected sales, considering down time, and look at how long jobs take you.

After considering all of this you should then be able to work out how much you should be charging.

From your description I would charge around £7.50, and that would be just for cleaning the glass, no frames and sills etc.

We do around 700 customers, there is two of us, but it does tended to take us slightly over a month to get through them, as we are a little over booked at the moment. We are hoping to take some else on shortly to help.

The £1 per window thing does tend to work out not far away from the way we charge, so if you are not sure that would be a good starting base until you can come up with a pricing structure that is more accurate.

Guest jambo113

my average price for a 3 bed terrace is 6 pound for about 7 windows and i get mixed reacitions off customers some say thats cheap and others say its to much and there last windy only charged 4 quid. I charged one customer 8 pound yesterday for a semi that had a couple of big bay bay windows and when he came to pay me he gave me a 20 and said ill pay for the next clean now i went to give him the change n he said keep it. wish i got more like that rather than chasing people for it

I think pricing is a varied subject. I am one of those who is building up my business and I am also without transport. I tend to price at about £7 - £8 for a average sized house. Anything more than that I would scare one or two away!. I go a £1 lower than the the other two established Window Cleaners in town. But. like what has been said in a previous post... Fuel is a cost. I tend to do block areas a pound cheaper. I make up the money to the average with the closeness of the properties.. I have a few bungalows that have more glass than houses. I charge £10 for these and get them done just as quickly as a house (no ladder work). I have the odd customer who will give me a tenna when feeling flush (maybe just had there pay). So. all in all being a pound cheaper is getting me the work and the odd tip here and there is bumping the money up. I clean frames and sill as standard and once the first clean is out of the way it is pretty much a quick wipe whilst cleaning the window. I feel that if I was making £10-£15 per hour once and if I ever make a success out of my business then I would be pretty happy with that... At the moment with my PAYE job I earn 1100 per month, which is £275 per week. If I was to earn an average of say at least £65 per day cleaning windows (which is only 8 x £8 houses) this would give me a weekly wage of £325 and £1300 per month - Minus the Tax etc would roughly mean what I am earning PAYE. Also on a good day I could do about 15/16 houses... Although, I have only done this once on a Saturday. At present I do two/three after work and Saturday and rarely on a Sunday to catch up... I tend to price my Jobs up £1 per window and then knock a pound off... Once i am up and running full time then i will get my pound back!!!

@rjacandwc

Hi, I was just generalizing about the guy without transport, but it doesn't sound like your that for away and wouldn't consider what you charge to be particularly low balling.

However I have seen some start out like yourself without expenses like a vehicle and price with that in mind. The problem is later on, when you do have the cost of running a vehicle, insurance, road tax petrol, mot, service etc you find that with that expense on board things are a little tight.

You cant just stick everyone up £1, you will most likely have to raise there price slower, for example 50p a year, to bring them in alignment.

Then what happens when you decide to employ someone. You have to pay accountants fees, manage a payroll system, pay for a payroll system, employers NI contributions, Employers liability insurance as well as paying staffs wages when they are on holiday 5.6 weeks a year.

I guess the point I am trying to make here is you can spend the next 2 or 3 years, building up your business, and have hundreds of customers that doesn't make you allot of money, or you can spend a little more time building up a business that does make you allot of money.

When you are deciding what to charge, you should be basing you pricing structure with the above things mentioned factored in, so when you do need a vehicle or have employee staff, your business can afford the expense of those things, and you wont have to spend the next 3 or 4 years trying to bump up the prices on all you customers so you can move your business forward.

I think this is a common fault when people do just start out, they see the takings as there hourly rate, but there is allot more to it that that.

I know you was just generalizing about the guy without transport and "Thank You for raising some interest points to consider... At present I do not drive due to what the doctors descibrie as "boarder line" vision. I have applied to the DVLA for my Provisional and one day I hope to drive. I feel it is a more likely required to run a business these days with transport. Although, I am going to keep plugging away at building my business up. At the moment I have ladders dotted around town in lock ups and push bike to them and do my work that way. I work full time for the council and I finish between 1pm/3pm and then clean windows and all day Saturday too!. I would love to go full time. At the moment the round is increasing weekly and somewhere along the line I am going to have to make a decision... I was thinking about going part-time first and free-ing up a couple of days during the week to up the window cleaning a little more... So. much to think about and not enough sleep lol... But. I really appreciate to advice. I feel that this forum offers some great tips... Do not always get moral support from the locals back at home!!!

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.