Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

conservatory roof, zero acess ither side ?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

riggy

Had a job come in today for a conservatory. trouble is there no chnace of getting down the sides to to reach the roof cause the fence is so close to the side walls of the conservatory. theres no side windows only frount windows which is easy to acess, its just the real glass roof thats not reachable from the sides or from the frount  how do others handle this situation. how strong are these conservatory roofs ? how bad an idea is it to climb on top of them. any imput would be great thanks. 

I wouldn’t entertain it move on find the next conny roof
Yer im thinking the same thing. theres juts no way of getting to it. even conservatory ladders not going get me over there. really gutted about it. could have done with the job. but i know its not worth the risk. 

Had a job come in today for a conservatory. trouble is there no chnace of getting down the sides to to reach the roof cause the fence is so close to the side walls of the conservatory. theres no side windows only frount windows which is easy to acess, its just the real glass roof thats not reachable from the sides or from the frount  how do others handle this situation. how strong are these conservatory roofs ? how bad an idea is it to climb on top of them. any imput would be great thanks. 
Ive a dodgy one that I use a stepladder for. Works ok.

only other way is standing in both next doors gardens but thats hardly easy to line up ither, not sure if there on good terms with there naubours or thay will always be in when its needed.  ****** off to say the least. thats one of my two replys from 430 leaflets droped over two days walking !  even the fence down both sides is so rotten it wobbles when u gently touch it was ur hand ! thay said could i get in from the upstairs window....yer alrite i'll reach down with a tooth brush taped to a broom handle shall i...

Also the customer must realize the situation. Explain it, and just do what you can get to. To be fair, if people have these connys put up and they're hemmed in so theres no access, they only have themselves to blame if bits cant get cleaned.

I’ve done a few but i agree with wind o kleen & KS 

When you're building a business reputation and recommendations are everything. Do a pants job of it and straight away you could be tarnished from the start.

if you question in your head whether you can do a job to a good standard because of access issues then its often best to leave it.theres easier work about. You could tell them to ring thomas sanderson...

You need the work but I think you'd be better off walking away from this one. Too many things to go wrong : can't get at it properly so you can't be sure of getting a good finish, might end up climbing on the roof and possibly cause damage, might end up damaging next door's ropy fence. You'll get other and better work, you'll see. ?

only other way is standing in both next doors gardens but thats hardly easy to line up ither, not sure if there on good terms with there naubours
Just tell the customer that's the only way to do it. if its obvious then it shouldn't be a surprise to them and then the onus is on the customer if they want it done. If you've got space in the diary just fire in a price, sticking a but on for the hassle, and tell the customer what you need to do it.

I had one last year where I had to clear the rear of the gutter and wash the roof wfp via the toilet window. Customer was ok about it wouldn't go out of my way to do it it again though.

yer I know deep down im going have to let it go. its a right mess about job even if I can get into both next doors places. can just see it becoming the hob gobbin of that day every 8 weeks. its really up and down mentaly getting going. worrying and worrying, waiting and waiting for the phone to ring or get an email from the leaflet drop that ur knowing could well never even happen, then over welming joy as someones responded !!! its a 3 bed house with conservatory ! right near where my other first 2 are !  can u come round now ? too right I can, get round there and oh ****** its unacessible...total diapointment then sinks in...lol go from lows to highs to lows all within afew hours.  luckly i have had a another enquiry come in today. so thats two come backs from the 300 leaflets droped saturday. so least its bucking the expected 2 per 1000 average.  thanks for feed back on this one. 

Always say "I'll check my diary first". You don't want to give the impression that you're sitting around waiting for the phone to ring, as that's a sign that you're not busy ?
true, i didnt say it, i was just thinking it. i told them i could come by about 5pm after i finished for the day....lol

Just had a request for all windows and a “small pointy conservatory roof”

I gave my quote for the windows through looking at google earth and asking some questions as normal, then said for the roof I’d have to have a look but she should be expecting me to come back with my normal price of £8.50 per pane and a minimum of £50 (this is lower than I usually do but I could do

with the job as I’m trying to build a little cash earner for when I’m staying up at work between shifts- and she said it was small and wants it regular) but asked to send pictures as well.

she just came back to me and said “£50 seems very expensive, the last guys charged £40 for the lot, but the did a terrible job and barely cleaned the conservatory”

I politely replied quoting the old adage you get what you pay for and decided to do some digging... found some old sale pictures of the £1.2mil house and the conservatory that has 12 panes!! With half of them up against a wall with no access... I don’t think she’ll like the price I come back with hahaha!

iv mailed them saying can only try via next doors gardens, shes going ask them if this is alrite. i said im happy to do it around 6 pm ish if the naibours are happier being home when i do it.  this may lead to the existance of the chance thay might want me to do theres too, even if just a one off. i know all 3 houses glass is proper dirty. living with the hope now this could go from being what i thought was a bust out to a winning situation. havnt hurd back yet thow. also got another person wanting 8 weekly today and said there next door was wanting it done too.  now have 3 so saying signed up on 8 weekly and 2 in the pipe...

Without some pictures it’s difficult to tell if or how it can be done but we have done a few like this using a scaffold tower build so that it’s quite a bit higher than the roof and you can look down on it if that makes sense , jobs like this the starting price is £150 for a small one , the one pictured below was a lot dearer but could not be done with out a tower due to the height 

8A193A5E-FB5F-4857-89A6-083EA3EC7882.jpeg

43945327-8BCE-4531-B7C8-4EF69B52085C.jpeg

BC22391A-B8BF-4B64-909B-A261FC38B41B.jpeg

5B15CB30-072C-4E91-83A3-65BE32847801.jpeg

Back