Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Being productive with down time

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Perryb91

I'm up to 35 customers now within a couple months which I'm dead happy with, but there are days when I dont have anyone booked in (today). I usually canvass between 6pm-8pm as I actually get more interactions but just wanted to know if there was anything i could do during the day? 

Shall I start targeting shops & other businesses as they are open? Not 100% sure on how to go after "commercial" works is it something you all do? 

Apologies if in the wrong section 

I'm up to 35 customers now within a couple months which I'm dead happy with, but there are days when I dont have anyone booked in (today). I usually canvass between 6pm-8pm as I actually get more interactions but just wanted to know if there was anything i could do during the day? 

Shall I start targeting shops & other businesses as they are open? Not 100% sure on how to go after "commercial" works is it something you all do? 

Apologies if in the wrong section 
Hit the high streets with little shop fronts,  ask speak to person in charge , don’t be put off if windows are clean, that dosnt mean they have a window cleaner , staff could be doing them , no harm in asking a question 

Personally, I don't take on shops anymore. Reasons: difficult parking, too many hazards with people walking by, people walking in and out, business owners can try to be bossy, and payment can be slow coming. I do some but good private customers are my preference. 

Thanks for replys Lads, I've never really wanted to chase shops but I suppose if you have nothing else going on no harm. I did have an idea to try and get some schools during holidays but I'm sure there is alot of red tape to cross 

From experience shops are a pain generally poor prices and all the other down sides already mentioned, the only ones we do are beacause we  do the owners houses , that are very profitable.

The only up side is that you get seen and people will approach  you asking if you do there Street , and it’s done whatever the weather . 

Why don't you canvass during the day?

If nobody's in drop a leaflet through the letterbox & canvass later that day. Roughly 20% of the UK population are retired & you'll generally get no payment problems with OAPs. If you get a 'yes' do the job there & then. There must be areas where you live where there are predominately older people (ie: estates where there are bungalows etc...)

Why don't you canvass during the day?

If nobody's in drop a leaflet through the letterbox & canvass later that day. Roughly 20% of the UK population are retired & you'll generally get no payment problems with OAPs. If you get a 'yes' do the job there & then. There must be areas where you live where there are predominately older people (ie: estates where there are bungalows etc...)
I agree, retired folk make up a large part of our customer base. They will have paid off their mortgages and a lot of them will have worked at a time when there were proper company pensions. They also often have old fashioned standards in that they keep the home as tidy and neat as they can. 

Thanks for replys Lads, I've never really wanted to chase shops but I suppose if you have nothing else going on no harm. I did have an idea to try and get some schools during holidays but I'm sure there is alot of red tape to cross 
It will depend on the county council, for me they were easy £5 million P/L insurance as standard and contact the schools directly, I am on the councils contractor approved list so have been contacted because of that over the years, I dealt directly with the managers so always got paid within 3-4 weeks, I don't do them anymore as for me they became a chore, as I don't like starting early, doing weekends or shifting schedules to fit them in anymore

I do love this forum, Really appreciate all your advice lads! 

Think I'll try and speak to the schools and get the work before bumping the PL insurance up. Will also give the old bungalows a chap and get some leaflets printed for people that dont open the door. It's funny when you realise you spend more time doing the behind the scenes marketing etc then you do on the glass but as I'm early doors it's all par the course

Another one is as long as you've got signwriting on you van, park it up somewhere like a tescos car park, right next to the door. Go shopping/for a walk/cafe for a brew. Come back an hour or 2 later and pick it back up. Did this yesterday, already have 3 to quote from it. 

Another one is as long as you've got signwriting on you van, park it up somewhere like a tescos car park, right next to the door. Go shopping/for a walk/cafe for a brew. Come back an hour or 2 later and pick it back up. Did this yesterday, already have 3 to quote from it. 
Yep, I do the same. It has brought work in. 

That's wicked mate, gonna get the van done in the next few weeks so will defo give that a go!

Vista print had an offer on the other day for 50% off so also ordered 2000 flyers, not something I've done yet but I suppose it's another avenue. Ill park the van up for a couple hours then go hand them out 

Latest Posts

Back