Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Forum hompage changes and testing

Gavin

Staff member
Admin

As a side note, this is kind of the inspiration https://discuss.flarum.org/ and where I want to possibly get. At the moment I have only made the minimal functional changes but is very clunky and needs refining a lot. As have said elsewhere this is not definite and just exploring options. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the homepage, should be a lot easier for newbies to navigate and easily find the various sections and jump straight into the recent activity more so on mobile devices, this will also hopefully help with duplicate subject/posts and them thus been avoided, 

I think we do need a banner message or something to get people to scroll or search first, perfect example this week 3 posts on invoices and late payments which are all covering the same topic within around 24 hours

I like the homepage, should be a lot easier for newbies to navigate and easily find the various sections and jump straight into the recent activity more so on mobile devices, this will also hopefully help with duplicate subject/posts and them thus been avoided, 

I think we do need a banner message or something to get people to scroll or search first, perfect example this week 3 posts on invoices and late payments which are all covering the same topic within around 24 hours

@Iron Giant good idea re some kind of notice. for searching and scrolling. Will look into this. 

Yes part of the reason for looking into this layout is that the topics are right at the frofront. People can see them right away and will see if a similar one has already been posted. It just removes all the barriers to the content. Its not very pretty just yet but will get to that.

I’m just grateful this forum isn’t set out like CIU, now that’s a headache,  great work gav? 

Thanks

One thing we will need to look at if we are keeping this homepage style is the forum section hierarchy. It's a bit chaotic in this kind of setup. We may need to have less subforums or make them their own rather than a subsection of another. 

Sorry to be negative about it after your hard work but I much prefer the old version much easier to find things and see new replies, all this ticking and unticking boxes it a right pain ???

Sorry to be negative about it after your hard work but I much prefer the old version much easier to find things and see new replies, all this ticking and unticking boxes it a right pain ???

Just click on the recent activity icon and all is good, it's the one before the pen and pad icon to create a new post, @Gavhas made multiple changes and trailed various options more times than I can count today ?

Just click on the recent activity icon and all is good, it's the one before the pen and pad icon to create a new post, @Gavhas made multiple changes and trailed various options more times than I can count today ?

Also you can see new replies. A topic with a bolded title means there are new replies. Also if you follow a topic or have replied to a topic you will get a notification if there are more replies unless you have turned notifications off of course. 

There will be more fine tuning to come to improve to whole tick and untick function.

Just a quick update everyone. Today i will be changing the forum sections, this is needed to make navigation easier and will aid in the new homepage and navigation design. 

forum sections will now be as below. All posts will still be availiable but may be moved into the correct area, there will no longer be sub categories and only top level categories which will cover a wider subject rather than using sub categories to be so specific. This fits with the new homepage layout and less need to orginise topics so specificaly. 

*Window cleaning

*Gutter cleaning

*Softwash Cleaning

*Conservatory Cleaning

*Pressure Washing

*Solar Panel Cleaning

*Other Cleaning

*Sponsors/Suppliers (advertisers) One topic per sponsor current ones will be merged.

*Market Place

*The office

*Members Area

*Staff Room

*Forum News

I don't know if you're leaving it the way it currently is or changing it back to the "new" layout. Hopefully keep it the way it currently is, didn't want to have a moan, like @Pjj ?, but didn't like the new layout. 

I don't know if you're leaving it the way it currently is or changing it back to the "new" layout. Hopefully keep it the way it currently is, didn't want to have a moan, like @Pjj ?, but didn't like the new layout. 

I just don’t like the new way ime afrade,  gav works hard on this and I don’t want to criticise what he’s done it’s his forum after all but I found the old way far user friendly, but I accept ime a techno dinosaur  ??? 

They are permanent. Categories are still there and you can still browser per category if you wish it's just instead of seeing a list of categories you are seeing discussions and replies on vising the homepage which is more import. 

I, for one, love it!

But I've been using the dynamic (?) view since it got introduced and it looks pretty much the same.

Give it some time guys, at first it doesn't feel like an old school forum as it used to be. But it's the most brilliant, fast way of getting updated on all the information you need, once you get used to it.

I, for one, love it!

But I've been using the dynamic (?) view since it got introduced and it looks pretty much the same.

Give it some time guys, at first it doesn't feel like an old school forum as it used to be. But it's the most brilliant, fast way of getting updated on all the information you need, once you get used to it.
Yep basically this ☝️ it is a bit of a jar at first but much easier. Why do you come here to read posts create topics etc or check what categories we have to post in. This update is all about putting the most important info first. 

Latest Posts

Back