Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Slx25. Yay or nay??

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I've just went and ordered myself a slx25 from gardiners but looking up through the Internet and see people complaining about them. What's your opinion lads?? 

It's a bit late, well almost ? all poles are going to wear and they all take some looking after and some chose not too as much as they should.

I personally wouldn't buy another SLX, I bought one maybe 2-3 years ago to have as a more lightweight spare pole, but I found it wore fairly quickly on the clamping areas, but I had been used to a Xtreme with metal bands and it's what I have used as my daily pole for almost 4 years now, but my view is totally different because of using the Xtreme. 

I have been tempted to buy a Phoenix pole to see what they are like, as when I had a look at one back in April, the clamps looked really good, but it was the hybrid version not full carbon, so I nearly put my back out lifting it out of the stand at Purefreedom. 

Last edited by a moderator:
A great all rounder and you wont be disappointed. All you need is a big SLX and a smaller Extreme for easy cleaning. When I get the tank fitted I will be getting an Extreme to go with it.

Happy days 

A great all rounder and you wont be disappointed. All you need is a big SLX and a smaller Extreme for easy cleaning. When I get the tank fitted I will be getting an Extreme to go with it.

Happy days 

To to be fair you are better off having an extreme in the larger pole as it will be stiff , and lighter , the weight and stiffness  are less important with a short pole the extreme 18 and slx18 arnt  that much  different , trust me you don’t want an slx 37 ????

Never used a gardiner pole but i clean with a 35 ft hybrid all the time. It avoids the need for extensions/different size poles etc. Appreciate for some people this sounds far from comfortable but if you’re strong enough then id use the longest pole possible to save addtional expense and mucking about later on. I also have a 30 ft which is easier to use on FSG’s as its slightly lighter. You shouldnt need anything higher than a 35 ft for resdiential, i only ever extend to that height for loft conversions and to be fair its hard to do a good job at that height so it really is the limit for me. Its not very rigid fully extended either. Sorry if it doesn’t directly answer the question but ive seen a lot of newbies in various posts asking about pole sizes etc so thought id say if you’ve got popeye in you, just use the biggest pole possible 24/7 to save time and dosh

Never used a gardiner pole but i clean with a 35 ft hybrid all the time. It avoids the need for extensions/different size poles etc. Appreciate for some people this sounds far from comfortable but if you’re strong enough then id use the longest pole possible to save addtional expense and mucking about later on. I also have a 30 ft which is easier to use on FSG’s as its slightly lighter. You shouldnt need anything higher than a 35 ft for resdiential, i only ever extend to that height for loft conversions and to be fair its hard to do a good job at that height so it really is the limit for me. Its not very rigid fully extended either. Sorry if it doesn’t directly answer the question but ive seen a lot of newbies in various posts asking about pole sizes etc so thought id say if you’ve got popeye in you, just use the biggest pole possible 24/7 to save time and dosh

I have always worked on the principle of use the shortest pole for the job that you can for the following  reasons 

it’s lighter 

costs less to replace a smaller pole than a larger one 

less strain on the body 

far easier and more manoverable

much faster working

each to there own but shortly common sense sais use the lightest and shortest pole for the job in hand  

I have always worked on the principle of use the shortest pole for the job that you can for the following  reasons 

it’s lighter 

costs less to replace a smaller pole than a larger one 

less strain on the body 

far easier and more manoverable

much faster working

each to there own but shortly common sense sais use the lightest and shortest pole for the job in hand  
And there was me thinking i had some common sense ? clearly not.

i honestly dont find it difficult to be honest i dont ache at all. But the vast majority of low in height i guess. When i do 3rd floor flats boy do i feel it. On my neck more than anywhere

I already have a phantom 30ft pole but I fancy a bit of a change. I've a clx 10 for bungalows which is great. The 30ft pole is alright but I'm doing a lot more softwashing now so going to use that pole specifically for it. It will always be in the van just incase I do need it but I hate using it for softwashing then windows too. Even after a good rinse 

And there was me thinking i had some common sense ? clearly not.

i honestly dont find it difficult to be honest i dont ache at all. But the vast majority of low in height i guess. When i do 3rd floor flats boy do i feel it. On my neck more than anywhere

You might be ok using it now but over time it’s highley likely you will get an rsi injury , using the lightest and shortest pole for the job in hand will make life a lot easier for you . Ime a very strong person but as Ime getting older the ware and tear on my body is starting to mount up using lighter shorter poles helps no end . 

ime  sure you do have common sense ??

You might be ok using it now but over time it’s highley likely you will get an rsi injury , using the lightest and shortest pole for the job in hand will make life a lot easier for you . Ime a very strong person but as Ime getting older the ware and tear on my body is starting to mount up using lighter shorter poles helps no end . 

Yeah as it happens i sometimes feel like i have arthritis in my hands ?

Exactly now I’m in my fifties the last couple of years I have felt it.

extreme pole  and brush 

electric reel

tubeless

I have an slx 18 and an extreme 25

The 18 i use for 80% of work, the extreme the rest.

The extreme wouldnt last a year used as a main pole, hence using the slx most often.

The extreme comes into its own on angles above connys and for fsg etc.

Back