Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Where Window Cleaners earn the most?

Simply Business

What did you start this topic for? 

You’ll have certain members on here now boasting and waffling how much they ‘reckon’ they earn.

I never discuss my earnings, think it makes you look a pompous bellend in my opinion ??

I think some fibbing has already gone on one way or the other, on average a sole trader is doing over 100k a year any where in the UK isn't believable, unless they have franchised their business but that's not one person it's multiple people and multiple vans which have increased his/her turnover, @steve garwood I really thought you would be earning more down near London ?

Quick guess , I would say wher PJJ lives ?

We have very little competition there arnt that many window cleaners hear having said that we do work in a number of places over the country if the price is right we will travel anywhere. I am amazed at how low some people value there services on hear , some of the prices they charge they would be better if stacking shelves in Tesco they would earn more . According to green pro  you can charge very similar prices all over the country , Ime not saying that that you can or cannot but if you do t try you will never improve your earnings , but again some seam happy to earn £10 per hour cleaning windows  others expect to earn £40 - 80 per hour not all jobs will bring in the same hourly rate we do have some underpriced work and we do have some very well paying jobs , but what one thinks is good money others will think it’s poor , I feel sorry for @Part Timer he seams to struggle to get good priced jobs where he is , but overall I think he does ok money wise , our commercial work pays very well I wish I could get more of it but we are limited with the amount of large buildings where I am ,if I could I wouldn’t do anything else . 

another post on another forum also put some window cleaners on over £100,000 a year!as much as a british airways airline pilot!?

i think for your average sole trader window cleaner itll be around 20k-30k a year(80%)......scotland,north west,north east england.....

some will be earning between £40k-£50k a year(15%)north west(cheshire),wirral,ellesmere port....

and a few will be in the £50k-£60k bracket....(5%).....london and the south east......

I think some fibbing has already gone on one way or the other, on average a sole trader is doing over 100k a year any where in the UK isn't believable, unless they have franchised their business but that's not one person it's multiple people and multiple vans which have increased his/her turnover, @steve garwood I really thought you would be earning more down near London ?
I do ok thank you. Just don’t need to boast unlike others ?

Consensus on other groups are top 3 are money laundering areas lol that's a massive ask to make these amounts as a sole trader never mind these being the averages per area..taking into account newbys and part times. I dont think this is genuinely realistic at all therefore I am out

We've been doing some data digging as we were quite interested to see where window cleaners earn the most in the country, and we've come back with some quite interesting results. If you read the article you can see who came out top. Now of course this is all based on the data that we have, but do you think it's a fair shout? Love to hear your thoughts on this?

https://www.simplybusiness.co.uk/knowledge/articles/2019/09/where-do-window-cleaners-earn-most-in-uk/

I don’t believe those figures at all totally ridiculous 

another post on another forum also put some window cleaners on over £100,000 a year!as much as a british airways airline pilot!?

i think for your average sole trader window cleaner itll be around 20k-30k a year(80%)......scotland,north west,north east england.....

some will be earning between £40k-£50k a year(15%)north west(cheshire),wirral,ellesmere port....

and a few will be in the £50k-£60k bracket....(5%).....london and the south east......
 Turnover or profit ?

feel sorry for @Part Timer he seams to struggle to get good priced jobs where he is , but overall I think he does ok money wise
Don't feel sorry for me, currently sitting in a bar in Newmarket and £915 worth of work to do tomorrow. Will be on site at 8 and be back in the bar by 6. 

Anyone that thinks grossing £50 an hour is under selling themselves must live in an area that is far better than the vast majority of Windies on here. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Worrying about who's earning what around your area will only make you not happy with what your getting and make your working day drag. The longer you have been in business the better you should be doing either money wise or getting rid of the shite jobs you never liked.

I tend to aim for 40 a hour,  but it rarely happens, if your rounds really compact then its easily achievable, but compact rounds come with time, id hazard a guess and say 1st 6 months 10-15 an hour, 6-12 months 20 an hour 1-3 years 30ph and so on, before expenses, tax etc. Tbh i couldn't care less what everyone earns, as long as i can pay the bills, and have some left over for a holiday, days out, celebrations etc im happy. 

We've been doing some data digging as we were quite interested to see where window cleaners earn the most in the country, and we've come back with some quite interesting results. If you read the article you can see who came out top. Now of course this is all based on the data that we have, but do you think it's a fair shout? Love to hear your thoughts on this?

https://www.simplybusiness.co.uk/knowledge/articles/2019/09/where-do-window-cleaners-earn-most-in-uk/
Don't feel sorry for me, currently sitting in a bar in Newmarket and £915 worth of work to do tomorrow. Will be on site at 8 and be back in the bar by 6. 

Anyone that thinks grossing £50 an hour is under selling themselves must live in an area that is far better than the vast majority of Windies on here. 
Pfft, I work 4 days a month and turn over £55K AFTER expenses and taxes! AND I take a 2 hour lunch breaks. You guys are ALL doing something well wrong!

Now if you excuse me I’ve got a date with Scarlett Johansson in the centre of a live volcano. It’s very exclusive! 

Pfft, I work 4 days a month and turn over £55K AFTER expenses and taxes! AND I take a 2 hour lunch breaks. You guys are ALL doing something well wrong!

Now if you excuse me I’ve got a date with Scarlett Johansson in the centre of a live volcano. It’s very exclusive! 
My figures are correct, where I live my best day, for 2 of us is £430. People throw numbers around saying this that and the other. I will only quote numbers I achieve and advise people what I think is achievable, if others can get twice as much as me then fair play to them. 

I can get a fully qualified auto electrician to my door for £50 for 2 hours so if I can get £50 an hour then I'm not under selling myself 

Turnover or profit ?
turnover

are you an alcoholic window cleaner then?lots of us are........

My figures are correct, where I live my best day, for 2 of us is £430. People throw numbers around saying this that and the other. I will only quote numbers I achieve and advise people what I think is achievable, if others can get twice as much as me then fair play to them. 

I can get a fully qualified auto electrician to my door for £50 for 2 hours so if I can get £50 an hour then I'm not under selling myself 
Exactly! Even £20 an hour is still gonna make you a lot more than minimum wage after expenses. I know good guys grafting away 5 long days a week for £8.50 an hour to feed their family. So really I don’t think we have much to compain about!

Exactly! Even £20 an hour is still gonna make you a lot more than minimum wage after expenses. I know good guys grafting away 5 long days a week for £8.50 an hour to feed their family. So really I don’t think we have much to compain about!

I tend to aim for 40 a hour,  but it rarely happens, if your rounds really compact then its easily achievable, but compact rounds come with time, id hazard a guess and say 1st 6 months 10-15 an hour, 6-12 months 20 an hour 1-3 years 30ph and so on, before expenses, tax etc. Tbh i couldn't care less what everyone earns, as long as i can pay the bills, and have some left over for a holiday, days out, celebrations etc im happy. 
I don't know how everyone else works out their definition of hourly rate, but I consider my hourly rate my 'on job' time, so if I clock on at a job and and leave half an hour later, aiming for say £40ph, I'd want £20.  But it obviously gets watered down with travel,lunch, etc through the day + all the behind the scenes hours that go into running a business.  

Each to there own but but you arnt going to make a living earning £20 per hour and take your expenses out of that you have to take into account replacing worn out equipment some of our poles cost 3k , vans need replacing , maintaining etc water bills , insurances , just tk scratch the surface this is why so many one man bands don’t last more than a few months as they have a buisness plan that’s set to fail before they have evan started , I don’t think many people earn as little as £8.50 as employees , even Tesco are paying far more than that for stacking shelves , I understand that there are some areas where it’s difficult to earn a reasonable wage and I do feel sorry for ones in this situation , but if going self employed I think the minimum you need to try and achieve is £30 per hour , this might sound a lot and it is £1170 for a 39 hour week ,but most don’t want to work 39 hours , I know several that work between 20-25 hours a week , it’s not about working harder it’s working smarter that’s why we all run our own buisness isn’t it ?? I want to earn the maximum amount of money for the least amount of time and effort , and Ime not greedy don’t rip people off and Ime not lazy , that’s just the way I want to live my life there is more to life than work , but we all need money to live .

Back