Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water marks left again!! ???

5D77A2D6-091A-490E-A218-699461102784.jpegHi all,

Ive been using the pole system for 2 months now, it’s going pretty well tbh, only had 2 complaints which I rectified... By giving them a free clean... Haven’t lost any customers as yet.. ?

Ive just cleaned this house (in the picture) and there was water marks all over their windows from when I cleaned them last month! I cleaned them again today, as I was cleaning them, the water wasn’t flowing down the window like it usually does, all the frames are clean so it’s not the dirty drips from them causing the marks. I’ve checked my water and it’s zero. The guy never complained about them, it was me that mentioned it, as I feel bad that I haven’t done a good job.. 

Is it possible that them particular windows do not clean well with the pole system?

Because all the other windows I clean, they dry nicely with leaving marks.. 

Also when cleaning the windows especially when there’s little windows above bigger windows, in the same bay.

Do you think it’s best to dry the drips on the frame with a cloth, to prevent marks left?

Or is there no need to? 

Would appreciate any advice,

Thanks, Luke. 

View attachment 17527Hi all,

Ive been using the pole system for 2 months now, it’s going pretty well tbh, only had 2 complaints which I rectified... By giving them a free clean... Haven’t lost any customers as yet.. ?

Ive just cleaned this house (in the picture) and there was water marks all over their windows from when I cleaned them last month! I cleaned them again today, as I was cleaning them, the water wasn’t flowing down the window like it usually does, all the frames are clean so it’s not the dirty drips from them causing the marks. I’ve checked my water and it’s zero. The guy never complained about them, it was me that mentioned it, as I feel bad that I haven’t done a good job.. 

Is it possible that them particular windows do not clean well with the pole system?

Also when cleaning the windows especially when there’s little windows above bigger windows, in the same bay.

Do you think it’s best to dry the drips on the frame with a cloth, to prevent marks left?

Or is there no need to? 

Thanks, Luke. 
 I still get this on some properties ive been doing for ages. guess its gotta be dust or something in the run off water. All I could say is make note of these troublesome ones, and just rinse longer on them, yes like you say, could be an idea to dry off the top sill fiirst. I had one today, that id done a month ago, and after it fried, i noticed down the side of it, dried water marks, like I hadnt cleaned/rinsed it, though i know i had. Mysterious sometimes.

Looks like that’s hydrophobic glass , some can be a pain I would just give them a good scrub especially around the seals and openers and any vents let the frames dry off then just go back over the glass making sure when rinsing that no water is going on the frames this should cure the problem, we have all had this type of thing happen , it’s s learning curve . 

Occasionally you get a window that the wind swirls around, usually in a corner, you will usually see a build up of leaves or general rubbish nearby. These will spot after you've gone because the dust that fly's around will stick to the wet window. If it isn't the seals perished it could be this.

Are you getting white milky water running off the frames when you are cleaning them? If so extra scrubbing and rinsing until the water runs clear, then clean as normal and all the should be good. 

Are you getting white milky water running off the frames when you are cleaning them? If so extra scrubbing and rinsing until the water runs clear, then clean as normal and all the should be good. 

Tbh I didn’t touch the frames as they were clean from last time. Any cob webs I just got afterwards with a cloth. 

Those windows look terrible! It's so bad that I don't think it could have been left line that after even a basic clean. How many times have you done it and how dirty were they initially?

I'd be wondering if a neighbor has had some repointing or pressure washing etc. The only way I can think of otherwise that could leave them like that is a lot of dust/sand and a very windy day blowing it onto the glass while it's wet or like part timer was describing.

Aha, always do the frames , first. they may look clean but there will be at least dust . Any dust will collect with any water and go onto the glass.
Nail on the head me thinks, plus coupled with the other replies as we should all be doing the frames first time, every time that's what we tell the client we will do, so therefore should do 

Those windows look terrible! It's so bad that I don't think it could have been left line that after even a basic clean. How many times have you done it and how dirty were they initially?

I'd be wondering if a neighbor has had some repointing or pressure washing etc. The only way I can think of otherwise that could leave them like that is a lot of dust/sand and a very windy day blowing it onto the glass while it's wet or like part timer was describing.
That’s the 3rd clean and no they weren’t overly bad to start with. The 1st clean was a traditional clean and didn’t leave any marks..

Its probably not but I used to have a customer that lived in an area where the windows always seemed to get dirty fast they had a monthly clean from me but Inbetween cleans I found out she would go out after about two weeks with some window cleaning spray just to keep them nice . Which was then a nightmare when I turned up with my pure system . Used to look like this so i had to clean extra . ? Just a thought ask them that no one has wiped over the windows ?

Always clean the frames thoroughly (and quickly ? ), This should stop the amount of streaks, like you have here. When the dirt from the frames runs off, mixed with the water, 99.9% of the time you'll encounter this.

Also, you will get the odd window, here and there, that does this no matter what. Just rinse it about 1cm down from the top of the glass (where it joins the seal) and it helps immensely.

Hi All

I’ve only been using the pole system for around 2 months. I’ve left water marks on the windows again and it’s driving me crazy! ?? I really want to do a good job and keep all my customers happy, but some of the houses I’m doing I’m struggling to not leave marks... Especially the council house windows and windows with small windows above, as I find the drips from the frames can cause water marks. 

Ive just cleaned this house for the 1st time. 

Its a 3 bed semi council house with typical council house windows. (I wish I took a pic)

The method I used was clean out all the top vents, then the bottom vents. Then clean all the frames on the top windows, then clean the glass after, without touching the frames, to avoid getting drips on the frames. Then the same for the bottom windows. I always clean the back of the houses 1st then the front.

I did about an hour of canvassing after then came back to my van and I thought I’d check the windows to see how they dried. Most were fine, there were just 2 of the bottom windows at the back with water marks in like a line down the windows. I’m pretty sure that they were caused from drips coming from holes in the bottom of the frames.. As a lot of the windows had built in holes under the frames.

Has anybody had this problem before? 

Does anyone have any advise on how to avoid this happening again please? ??

Thanks, Luke. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You've a good method by the sound of it. It's hard doing such a thorough first clean not to get drips from between the 2 top opening windows. Sounds like it'll probably be fine next time as first cleans are always the worst, but if it continues to be a problem, then avoid getting water above or between the top openers on normal cleans. That should help.

You've a good method by the sound of it. It's hard doing such a thorough first clean not to get drips from between the 2 top opening windows. Sounds like it'll probably be fine next time as first cleans are always the worst, but if it continues to be a problem, then avoid getting water above or between the top openers on normal cleans. That should help.
Thank you for your message. I don’t quite understand what you mean “avoid getting water above or between the top openers on normal cleans”.. ?

@Luke Macclesfield just be as thorough as you have been and continue with been thorough, fist cleans that are really bad will throw up issues from time to time and even maintenance cleans from time to time and you are still learning and as each day goes by you will develop your skills and a sixth sense, I have been wfp for over 11 years and still get the odd issue, I did a first clean today and had some minor spotting on the odd window, but very easily rectified and the customer was very happy with the results 

@Luke Macclesfield just be as thorough as you have been and continue with been thorough, fist cleans that are really bad will throw up issues from time to time and even maintenance cleans from time to time and you are still learning and as each day goes by you will develop your skills and a sixth sense, I have been wfp for over 11 years and still get the odd issue, I did a first clean today and had some minor spotting on the odd window, but very easily rectified and the customer was very happy with the results 
Thanks very much, @Iron Giant

View attachment 17527Hi all,

Or is there no need to? 

Thanks, Luke. 
We all come across windows like these from time to time as @Iron Giant noted.

Is this the only house you have the issue? If so then its the house. Are these south facing windows, ie do they get the main sun of the day or are all the house windows the same?

Personally I would blade those windows off, detail all the sides and be done with it. They may come right, they may not.

Thank you for your message. I don’t quite understand what you mean “avoid getting water above or between the top openers on normal cleans”.. ?
spacer.png
I don't know if I'm misunderstanding your problem, but I mean with this type of window you can occasionally have problems. Usually it will be fine but if you always have run marks after it dries then avoid getting water on the areas marked on the picture.

iMarkup_20190911_213326.jpg

spacer.png
I don't know if I'm misunderstanding your problem, but I mean with this type of window you can occasionally have problems. Usually it will be fine but if you always have run marks after it dries then avoid getting water on the areas marked on the picture.

View attachment 17630
We clean those areas on downstairs windows with a damp cloth.

Back