Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

34 quid for a 4 bed and conservatory too dear...!

riggy

had a call today, can u quote me, yes be round after work later. I get there. place hasnt been cleaned in years. 5 bed size plus extension and loads of glass all over the house. and little conservatory.  I quoted 34 on 8 weekly for both conservatory and house.  custy got nasty and started cutting me off saying thats stupid price !  I said hay its ok, if you want other quotes im fine with that, no pressure, call some others.   its really expensive ! where i used to live an off duty fireman used to come round do the house for 8 quid !!...I felt like walking off after the fireman comment !! cant stand people that dont listen, start babbling without even thinking about what there saying or hearing what someone is trying say to them. people are fecking wangers !   thay really are.  did a one off clean and hope i never hear from them to be honest, thay dont deserve a good price or a decent job being done. if thay do get in touch im going tell them to call the fire department instead...

I never negotiate on price , the price is the price take it or leave it I politely say you wouldn’t go in Tesco and try and get the price of your shopping cheaper so don’t try and do the same with me that’s a fair price I have quoted . I explain what we will do and why the price is what it is ie difficult access things in the way need moving , leaded glass ,first clean we generally charge double the normal clean price .

had a call today, can u quote me, yes be round after work later. I get there. place hasnt been cleaned in years. 5 bed size plus extension and loads of glass all over the house. and little conservatory.  I quoted 34 on 8 weekly for both conservatory and house.  custy got nasty and started cutting me off saying thats stupid price !  I said hay its ok, if you want other quotes im fine with that, no pressure, call some others.   its really expensive ! where i used to live an off duty fireman used to come round do the house for 8 quid !!...I felt like walking off after the fireman comment !! cant stand people that dont listen, start babbling without even thinking about what there saying or hearing what someone is trying say to them. people are fecking wangers !   thay really are.  did a one off clean and hope i never hear from them to be honest, thay dont deserve a good price or a decent job being done. if thay do get in touch im going tell them to call the fire department instead...
Good answer to have ready. ??

It doesn't matter what anyone says. When you are that far apart just say you are sorry you can't help him this time and wish him a good day and take your leave. Its pointless getting wound up about it.

Some people are just like internet trolls, the sole purpose is to rile others up. We just aren't the one to take the bait.

I had one the other day, rang up wanting a one off clean as was moving house.  Sounded like a pleasant lady, well spoken she said they can't get window cleaners as the neighbours won't have theirs cleaned so it's not worth the cleaners time.  Anyway she said she had a conny so I said I would have to come and quote.  Get there to quote and the windows don't look too bad but one had double doors with a railing in front so that wasn't straight forward.  Get to the back and start looking at the conny which was pretty bad, straight away she says, leave that I'll do that (bad sign).  She carries on going on about how her windows were better than her neighbours and doesn't understand why her neighbours don't look after their windows.  Anyway my usual price would be £40 but I was in a good mood and thought £40 seems a bit much without the conny so I just thought sod it I'll let her have it for £30.  

Me ' Ok Mrs Jones that will be £30 an...'  interrupted

Lady ' HOW MUCH, I'm not paying that'

Me ' That's cheap, it's normally about £40 but I've knocked a tenner off because they're not too bad'

Customer 'well I'll have it this time but don't take this the wrong way but I certainly won't be using you again' (in a very rude tone)

At this point I very nearly walked off there and then, I couldn't see the point in working for somebody who wasn't happy.  But she kept talking and started to talk about something else and I kind of lost the chance to do that so just left her with the quote and said it was a timed appointment and just let me know when you're ready.

I don't expect her to call, but it does make you wonder what people are thinking.  This house would have been about a £250 to £300k house being sold.  I drive round to the house to quote and she thinks £30 for a one off is expensive.  How much is she paying the removals, lawyers, estate agents etc.  What would be a good price?

Sometimes I wonder if you just said, 'yeah ok I'll do it for £1' whether they would take it seriously and accept it without asking why it's so cheap.  They just seem incredibly thick when it comes to money.  I don't know how they even own a house to have such a bad understanding of what things cost.

sounded just like the one I had.   I think next time im going ask them befor I say my quote what price is in there head that thay clearly have already preconcived it is going be. if thay think its way over then thay by that fact thay must have had a thought on what it was going be. least then its them saying the price so i can iterupt them and deny them there price.  turn it round one them. thing im finding is large propertys are harder to land than 2 or 3 beders. like i said to lady yesterday, a two bed semie is about 12 to 14 pound and you have over twise the amount of windows so its going be double the price...this dose not compute with people. thay dont seem to look at the price in refelection to the house thay have,  thay just seem to think window cleaning is a 10 bob job regardless or weather ur in a 5 bed or a tiny 2 bed its all the same job...? 

thay cant get there heads round its a self employed person who has to make a minimum amount by the hour to survive. its the cost of living that dictates the price of the time. what gets me is i know none of them would work self employed for 10 quid an hour or if thay did thay would soon go bust. one guy was earning a 100 pound an hour working in london city, yes 100 an hour. yet he coudnt get why i had to make at least 25 an hour self employed. so hes entitled to 100 an hour and its justifyed yet im ment to be ok with 10 quid an hour...? where do you go with someone like that...?  people value themselfs very highty yet look at other as if there worthless.   then thay go out and buy a car for 70,000 and lose 10,000 on it soon as the drive out the show room...? or thay will buy a coffe from a garage for  2.65 when thay could have waited till thay got or tanked a flask and had a coffee for 20p....?  or buy a face cream every month for 14.95 that will do nothing to stop them ageing, 100 percent waisted yet 12.00 for a wondow clean....what thats loads !!!  its a stupid world with no aprication for hard work, althought strangly thay dont seem to up for doing it themselves....lol

sounded just like the one I had.   I think next time im going ask them befor I say my quote what price is in there head that thay clearly have already preconcived it is going be. if thay think its way over then thay by that fact thay must have had a thought on what it was going be. least then its them saying the price so i can iterupt them and deny them there price.  turn it round one them. thing im finding is large propertys are harder to land than 2 or 3 beders. like i said to lady yesterday, a two bed semie is about 12 to 14 pound and you have over twise the amount of windows so its going be double the price...this dose not compute with people. thay dont seem to look at the price in refelection to the house thay have,  thay just seem to think window cleaning is a 10 bob job regardless or weather ur in a 5 bed or a tiny 2 bed its all the same job...? 

thay cant get there heads round its a self employed person who has to make a minimum amount by the hour to survive. its the cost of living that dictates the price of the time. what gets me is i know none of them would work self employed for 10 quid an hour or if thay did thay would soon go bust. one guy was earning a 100 pound an hour working in london city, yes 100 an hour. yet he coudnt get why i had to make at least 25 an hour self employed. so hes entitled to 100 an hour and its justifyed yet im ment to be ok with 10 quid an hour...? where do you go with someone like that...?  people value themselfs very highty yet look at other as if there worthless.   then thay go out and buy a car for 70,000 and lose 10,000 on it soon as the drive out the show room...? or thay will buy a coffe from a garage for  2.65 when thay could have waited till thay got or tanked a flask and had a coffee for 20p....?  or buy a face cream every month for 14.95 that will do nothing to stop them ageing, 100 percent waisted yet 12.00 for a wondow clean....what thats loads !!!  its a stupid world with no aprication for hard work, althought strangly thay dont seem to up for doing it themselves....lol

Exactly, that's what I find.  I have done quotes for the bigger houses that are over £35 but none of them got back to me, these are £1m+ houses.  It's like the working class are bothered about what their neighbours think of them and like to have everything clean and are prepared to pay more to have everything looking 'right', but the more well off couldn't give a damn about it and want to pay peanuts.

My brother used to work at a car wash, £5 a car, big tub of water at the start of the day, dirty water by the 2nd wash, filthy by the end of the day.  They had a regular customer who used to come in a brand new £250k+ Bentley Continental.  I just don't get it, why would you do that?  Really strange.  

Personally, I wouldn't be asking people what price they have in their head. Neither do I ask them what they were paying previously. I decide what price I think is fair to the customer and to me. A price structure that will allow my business to thrive. Thrive! That's the key. The choice is theirs after that. I think asking them is setting yourself up for nervous negotiation. Learn to hold the line, you'll have a better and stronger business in the long term. 

More difficult starting out, for sure. But that's what I did, from day one. 

Good luck. ?

Had the same a few month back, My reply was where is fireman Sam now? He stopped coming. Why, I don't know. I will tell you why

One he more than likely pockets his money. Two we are professional window cleaners who spend thousands of pound on our equipment and we don't fight fires on the side, thirdly he couldn't make enough money on the time spent out window cleaning.    

Didn't hear from her till she had tried every Tom **** and harry, how I know I clean her neighbours and she told me, eventually picked it up and I said to her if you don't like WFP don't pay ill  see you in a few days. She loved it and now knows why we charged more.  

I have had a few of them in my time, but a few of them are good eggs. 

Got 1 who lives in a 4 bed detached with 2 conservatories. Charged 25 quid. He was happy with that, been doing it 2 years. Couple months  back he text me saying thank you for doing my windows ive tranferred to £30 to your account. I message back saying its only 25, to which he says "the job you do is worth 30 so ive increased the price"!!!!!!!

So they are out there, just gotta nab them before someone else does ?

I have had a few of them in my time, but a few of them are good eggs. 

Got 1 who lives in a 4 bed detached with 2 conservatories. Charged 25 quid. He was happy with that, been doing it 2 years. Couple months  back he text me saying thank you for doing my windows ive tranferred to £30 to your account. I message back saying its only 25, to which he says "the job you do is worth 30 so ive increased the price"!!!!!!!

So they are out there, just gotta nab them before someone else does ?
Similar to this i had a £17 custy that ive done 4 times.

Every time she leaves £20 in a container and i leave £3 change, ladt time there was  a note saying "Jon, please increase my price to £20 and stop leaving change"

i got an old boy.. house is a doddle so i quoted £15... every single time he's paid me £20 instead. I never count on that extra fiver but i must admit it's nice to know i'm valued!

Certainly makes a change to my other employers of past times who would never value my efforts no matter how much effort i put in.

He must have been the Fire Master and didn't need the money. ?

i got an old boy.. house is a doddle so i quoted £15... every single time he's paid me £20 instead. I never count on that extra fiver but i must admit it's nice to know i'm valued!

Certainly makes a change to my other employers of past times who would never value my efforts no matter how much effort i put in.

I didn't know how much my customers valued me till i messed up all their glass. Should have been cancelled but they all let me come back and clean them again which resolved the issue.

you win some,lose some....my price would of been £40 regular clean and £60 first clean,take it or leave it.......if she said no then id politely say goodbye and walk away...no need to get all worked up mate!

The best ones are when people approach you and say something like, 'Here mate I'll give you a tenner to clean my windows'. ?

Then when you look it's at least a £20 job and they think they're doing YOU a favour! I can't help but burst out laughing at those people.

Some people are honestly totally clueless. Imagine going upto a sparky and saying here mate I'll give you £50 to give my house a rewire ?‍♂️

The best ones are when people approach you and say something like, 'Here mate I'll give you a tenner to clean my windows'. ?

Then when you look it's at least a £20 job and they think they're doing YOU a favour! I can't help but burst out laughing at those people.

Some people are honestly totally clueless. Imagine going upto a sparky and saying here mate I'll give you £50 to give my house a rewire ?‍♂️

Or, like I had the other day, can you leave those side windows (all 3!) and do the conservatory roof instead!

These kind of people are everywhere, I would never back down on a price, if they don’t like it walk away. I went to one recently, big house with conservatory loads of land, quite clearly the house of a very well off retired couple. They wanted a quarterly clean and I quoted £40, quite reasonable for the job, her reaction was one of horror. ‘Oh my last cleaner only charged £25 but he stopped coming’ I wonder why...

I was doing another of my regulars not far and she was out walking her dog and clearly confused me with the cleaner she had taken on and obviously hadn’t turned up. One I had assured her i had visited her but she hadn’t got back to me she told me she would likely give me a call. I won’t hold my breath though.

Went to another quote later that day, maaaaasive farm house, £80 quoted, accepted with no questions asked.

Back