Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Carpet Cleaning

Morning all. Does anybody on here do carpet cleaning aswell. Im thinking of trying to add it to my Services. Not sure how well it would take of as only have customers for window cleaning and soffit cleaning. So would buy the machine with zero customers so will need to start all over again with it. But thought it’s another Services I can don 

just wanted to know if anyone does it on here and what machine do you use? 

Thanks all. 

If you let your customers know that you also offer carpet cleaning i am sure a few will be interested!

If you already got regular window cleaning customers u can offer them any other service such as carpet cleaning, pressure washing, conservatory valets , car valets , gardening etc

Add on services always sell, the more customers u have on board the more sales u will get with add ons :)

Good luck

We do, but never really pushed it over the years. I would suggest you have the right training as mistakes can cost a load to put right.

We use the Prochem steamPro and only use Prochem chemicals. Its nice to work indoors sometimes and would say buy a second hand machine to start to see how you like it, its harder work than it looks.

Morning all. Does anybody on here do carpet cleaning aswell. Im thinking of trying to add it to my Services. Not sure how well it would take of as only have customers for window cleaning and soffit cleaning. So would buy the machine with zero customers so will need to start all over again with it. But thought it’s another Services I can don 

Thanks all. 
I have family who will advertise to there customers, get them booked in then rents the equipment. Something you could consider do it. He does it mainly with his office cleaning customers, though, but renting the equipment when he needs it seems to work for him. By booking all the work together he does it over a few days, so only has it on rent for a short time.  

Carpet cleaning isn't as straight forward as it looks.  I was in the process of setting up in carpet cleaning 13 years ago and I'm NCCA qualified (that alone cost over £500).  In the end I ducked out of it as it seemed a lot of hassle, big bulky equipment, working inside on red hot days, chance of ruining a carpet (some types of carpet shouldn't be cleaned as you will wreck them).

In short, it's a very specialized service that takes a lot of learning and will eat money.  You could easily add it on to your window cleaning but you would have to put in a lot of money, a lot of effort and a lot of time if you want to provide a proper professional service.  

My equipment back then cost over £4k and I still needed extra bits.  Second hand you should budget at least £3k for all the bits.  The cheaper machines that are less than £1k will not do anywhere near as professional job as those that take it seriously.

Compared to window cleaning it's a lot of hassle but you could make money, it's whether you think it's worth it. 

I think maybe I’m better of buying a sky vac then and promote more for guttering clearance. I’m just trying to add more to my Services. As I don’t have a full month of window cleaning so have spare days here and there. 

I think maybe I’m better of buying a sky vac then and promote more for guttering clearance. I’m just trying to add more to my Services. As I don’t have a full month of window cleaning so have spare days here and there. 

Yeah that sounds like an easier add on service that you would get work from pretty quickly with good money and low outlay cost.

we do it all, you are far better concentrating on external services as they are easier to upsell!

We still have customers say oh we didnt know you did carpets, despite us handing out leaflets over the last 5 years

If you let your customers know that you also offer carpet cleaning i am sure a few will be interested!

If you already got regular window cleaning customers u can offer them any other service such as carpet cleaning, pressure washing, conservatory valets , car valets , gardening etc

Add on services always sell, the more customers u have on board the more sales u will get with add ons :)

Good luck
Yes I agree..Promote it.

Good luck
Agree add ons are a lucrative line, especially when the "younger" generation seems to have never changed a fuse, painted a wall, mowed a lawn etc, and do not have any intentions of doing so!!

I gave carpet cleaning a try years ago. But just wasn't for me. I was busy busy with the window cleaning, and spent 1k on advertising for the carpet cleaning and never got a single job. The machines cost a fair bit, and as others have said there is allot more to it than you may think.

Your main aim should be to stay busy. If you can do that without having add on services. That's a good thing.

My advice, if you have time and money to invest in carpet cleaning. Just spend it on advertising your window cleaning service instead.

I think window cleaning, gutter clearing and pvc cleaning all go together. After that I would say pressure washing would be next. If you concentrate on these then I don't think you would have much time for anything else.

Thanks all. 
Hi mate

I do window cleaning, gutter vaccing and soffit fascia and gutter cleaning and decided to get into carpet cleaning about 18 months ago when I was still relatively quiet. You really need to do your homework. There is several different methods. Theres dry cleaning which I decided to go for and also extraction and bonnet cleaning. I reckon you will be just fine.

I don`t get as much work as I do for window cleaning but personally I like the change as it can get repetative at times. I reckon it would be a good idea to go on a course. I have managed to land a deal with a letting agents and as a result do alot of end of tenancy cleans which are great as you can charge more money and its easier as there is no furniture to move or to dodge around.

Thanks all. 
It's a service I have considered but only as emergency cleaning for stain wine removal etc. Wouldn't have the space for a large system. I have a self made upholstery cleaning machine I made and was looking at Bissell Big green machines or EX hire reconditioned Rug Doctors 

I think looking back I wish I had gone down the hot water extraction method as this seems far more effective. However dry clean is great for marketing as people love the idea of being able to walk on their carpets straight after the clean. It is an absolute mind field however. There are so many things that can go wrong. So it is vital you get the best training around. I trained at solutions world of clean in Cornwall.

I think in hindsight I would not have bothered with the carpet cleaning as it is a complete pain in the **** but it can be very good money. Having said that so is window cleaning. I mean how rich do you want to be.

I think looking back I wish I had gone down the hot water extraction method as this seems far more effective. However dry clean is great for marketing as people love the idea of being able to walk on their carpets straight after the clean. It is an absolute mind field however. There are so many things that can go wrong. So it is vital you get the best training around. I trained at solutions world of clean in Cornwall.

I think in hindsight I would not have bothered with the carpet cleaning as it is a complete pain in the **** but it can be very good money. Having said that so is window cleaning. I mean how rich do you want to be.
This is very true.  The thing is that you can make good money carpet and upholstery cleaning, but compared to window cleaning it's hard work and eats money.  

Take one point for example, carpet fibres come in all sorts of different types and colours, you have to pick the correct chemical to clean certain stains on certain carpets.  You can easily have 15 to 30 different chemicals on your van to tackle everything you come across, then there is the hard part of knowing which chemical, how much to use, what to be careful with etc.

Window cleaning, what do you need?  Water, pump and a brush and off you go.  If you really had a problem clean then a bit of degreaser and then a bit of the pink stuff for the odd staining on sills / doors.  That really is it.

Soffit and fascia painting would be an add on i would add before carpets. Some fascia is wooden and just needs painted more than cleaned. 

Cheap entry and sellable

Latest Posts

Back