Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Does anyone suffer from arthritis in the wrist??

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Luke Macclesfield

Hi guys.

This will be my first winter as a window cleaner and working in the outdoors.

In the last 2 days i have had quite severe, aching pains in my left wrist (i am left handed), as the days gone on the pain has got worse. 

I have been advised that I could have arthritis, as about 5 years ago I broke that same wrist playing football.. I have never had any pain from that wrist since the injury, just in the last 2 days, with the cold weather..

I have been and bought some anti inflammatories, joint tablets and a wrist support. I am hoping its not going to be a permanent injury, but it could well be. I wouldn't want to be forced to give up my new career, as I am really enjoying being self employed, as it gives me more independance, flexibility and money.. ?

Is there anyone that suffers with anything similar, especially over the cold months?

If so, do you have any advice on how to ease the pain and work around it?

Many thanks,

Luke

Hi guys.

This will be my first winter as a window cleaner and working in the outdoors.

In the last 2 days i have had quite severe, aching pains in my left wrist (i am left handed), as the days gone on the pain has got worse. 

I have been advised that I could have arthritis, as about 5 years ago I broke that same wrist playing football.. I have never had any pain from that wrist since the injury, just in the last 2 days, with the cold weather..

I have been and bought some anti inflammatories, joint tablets and a wrist support. I am hoping its not going to be a permanent injury, but it could well be. I wouldn't want to be forced to give up my new career, as I am really enjoying being self employed, as it gives me more independance, flexibility and money.. ?

Is there anyone that suffers with anything similar, especially over the cold months?

If so, do you have any advice on how to ease the pain and work around it?

Many thanks,

Luke
 I shattered my wrist after the ladder I was on slid away from me. ( damp,mossy patio, beware) That was years ago and had to have a steel plate as a permanent fixture in the wrist. I was lucky really that it didnt happen longer ago when they couldnt have fixed it. Its fine and I have full use of wrist etc, but yeh, in the really cold weather it can be like a migraine type stabbing pain. Not often though.

You could just do things to improve circulation, eat proper healthy food ( I think my parents used to eat cod liver oil capsules for circulation) Maybe wear a warm wrist band?

Yes, me too. But since a few weeks I have had good results recovering. If you keep your hands warm, it will be able to recover better. I have had pain in knuckles and wrist. Recently I started wearing gloves when working on every job. I use a few pairs of thermo gloves, they will get wet if it rains or by wfp, but it will still keep the hands warm.

I also bought a handshoe dryer, no more cold stinky wet gloves in the morning. Warmth is the key for me. Sportsbalm can be a direct relief for pain, it will boost blood circulation in your hands or wrist. Use it when start working, and sometimes when I go to sleep. It has improved a lot since a few weeks.

I’m also using supplements with ingredient: Perna canaliculus. I’m from Holland, I don’t know if you can buy it in UK.

I take fish oil capsule in the morning, Glousamine tablet  in the afternoon and turmeric capsule in the evening take a while for them to get into your system but definitely helps combat inflammation.

Doctors gave me tramadol and morphine but both medications used to make me feel Ill and like a zombie, that’s why I use the above remedies now.

I'd also try not to have a vice-like, death-grip on the pole, except when you need to.

Good luck?
Last year I added a sliver of pipe insulation and gaffer taped that to my pole and this year I added gel cycle handlebar tape but the  tape as slowly been coming off the pole. I will go back to the insulation and gaffer tape again.

Yes, me too. But since a few weeks I have had good results recovering. If you keep your hands warm, it will be able to recover better. I have had pain in knuckles and wrist. Recently I started wearing gloves when working on every job. I use a few pairs of thermo gloves, they will get wet if it rains or by wfp, but it will still keep the hands warm.

I also bought a handshoe dryer, no more cold stinky wet gloves in the morning. Warmth is the key for me. Sportsbalm can be a direct relief for pain, it will boost blood circulation in your hands or wrist. Use it when start working, and sometimes when I go to sleep. It has improved a lot since a few weeks.

I’m also using supplements with ingredient: Perna canaliculus. I’m from Holland, I don’t know if you can buy it in UK.
Yeah, I agree, if you can keep your hands and wrists warm it might well help. 

When it's really cold my son and I use Whitby Hand warmers. They're like a miniature hot water bottle, a bit similar to a small whisky hip flask and will run for about eight hours on little more than a thimble full of liquid lighter fuel. Sounds scary but totally safe, no flame just an enclosed glow like a cigarette. Lovely and warm in a hip pocket and take out to warm our hands when we want to. ?

Gardiners Extreme-18 pole & electric reel will put far less strain on your wrist. Also, you'll be surprised how much you can reach with an 18 foot pole (I was when I swapped over a couple of years ago).

Also learn to WFP right handed - I swap between left & right hand during the course of the working day.

When it's really cold my son and I use Whitby Hand warmers. They're like a miniature hot water bottle, a bit similar to a small whisky hip flask and will run for about eight hours on little more than a thimble full of liquid lighter fuel. Sounds scary but totally safe, no flame just an enclosed glow like a cigarette. Lovely and warm in a hip pocket and take out to warm our hands when we want to. ?
I’ve ordered one of them hand warmers, thanks for the advise! ??

Last year used one round my neck so it  dangled round my  chest area several mornings when really cold in the pouch provided, underneath my fleece....toasty and easily accessable for my hands.

Last year used one round my neck so it  dangled round my  chest area several mornings when really cold in the pouch provided, underneath my fleece....toasty and easily accessable for my hands.
Yeah I tried the same but I didn't like breathing the fumes coming. Especially when I tried different fuels as an experiment: Aspen 4,meths etc. FYI, I did find liquid lighter fuel to be the best. 

I have tennis elbow and it used to be quite bad.

I tried everything, but the only thing that actually helped was changing to an Extreme 22 pole and Extreme brushes and replacing 50m of Gardiners reinforced pole hose onto my main reel. I hardly notice my elbows any more, unless I use a heavier brush. I even resorted to using a Supreme flocked on leaded (the best brush for leaded) BUT to reduce the weight of the stock, I drilled about 50 small holes into the stock to reduce the weight.

Back