Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Motivation, mental health and progression

Dale Transparent

Hi All, I was out working on Thursday and got thinking about motivation, mental health and progression, would like to hear your thoughts on the topics, here are mine;

Motivation - to provide the best possible service and product I can for the customer and ensure my business is a success. I like to think I give 100% all of the time, but sometimes I just don't feel it, so, what motivates you?

Mental health - Approximately 1 in 4 people in the UK suffer from mental health issues, I've suffered from anxiety and stress at work in the past, however, it was while working for a local authority (horrible boss and maybe a story for another time). With winter creeping in, SAD (Seasonal adjustment disorder) is bound to affect some of us, I know it does me. What are your experiences and what support have you received?

Progress - I am currently at a crossroad and don't know what I want to do. Over the last 4 years my round has grown faster than anticipated and I have the headache of being flat out but it's financially rewarding. I physically can't take on any more work as I am flat out, day in, day out. This has made me question do I want to remain as I am or employ and grow the business further. On occasions I think I should employ, but then the idea of managing (a role I had previously for 15 years, with £7m budgets and 75+ staff) makes me think I should stick as I am. How have you taken the steps to growth and has it worked for you? What would you do differently? What are the pro's and con's? What are your aspirations?

Hope I haven't bored you (too much)!

I was once a 'successful' Civil Servant, but totally unmotivated.

I used to run morcycle tours throughout South America and I was totally skint.

I used to be the Estate Manager for one of the most well-know figures in the UK, but totally stressed.

Arguably I've regressed rather than progressed in my career . Now, I'm a window cleaner on an island but..... I'm motivated by great customers, mentally I'm as happy and relaxed as I've ever been, I earn a comfortable living (on my own terms), and the business has progressed to the point where I can keep on top of things and keep customers happy.

I have a great work-life ballance and I'm happy personally and financially. For me at least, that's my measure of success. Knowing when things are 'good' and remembering to appreciate that they're good is the key. I've learnt that the hard way. Its taken me 30 years of work to realise and achive it though!

If you're happy now and you think you'll be happy in the long-term future (both persoanlly and financially), don't change anything. If an element isn't working don't loose sight of what is working but fix that bit that isn't.

P.S. I can also be full of **** so don't listen to me.  :1f602:

Motivation - to provide the best possible service and product I can for the customer and ensure my business is a success. I like to think I give 100% all of the time, but sometimes I just don't feel it, so, what motivates you?
Everyones is different mate. I think its really important to find for everyone. Mine is the kids, to be a good example. One thing I learned a while ago was not to chase the money. It always runs faster. You might do ok following money around but if you find something with a little more meaning it's much more satisfying.

Mental health - Approximately 1 in 4 people in the UK suffer from mental health issues, I've suffered from anxiety and stress at work in the past, however, it was while working for a local authority (horrible boss and maybe a story for another time). With winter creeping in, SAD (Seasonal adjustment disorder) is bound to affect some of us, I know it does me. What are your experiences and what support have you received?
I think the world worries a little too much about this nowadays. Of course we all need to talk now and again, I'm not suggesting people bottle things up. I do however believe there is a point were we need to JFDI. I've had issues in the past but got over them by getting on, picking myself up and dusting myself off. I wouldn't be where I am had I wallowed in my problems. So many people going off to see councillors nowadays but what's the end goal?? Like how do you end the saga?? With medicine or endless counselling, you only get one life so get on with it.

***I just want to confirm, I am talking generally and not about you personally dude.

Progress - I am currently at a crossroad and don't know what I want to do. Over the last 4 years my round has grown faster than anticipated and I have the headache of being flat out but it's financially rewarding. I physically can't take on any more work as I am flat out, day in, day out. This has made me question do I want to remain as I am or employ and grow the business further.
Do whatever makes you happy. There are other ways out of that situation. Restructure your round to make it easier to do. A nice big price rise might drop some of the ? and leave you working less for the same money.

Along the same lines as padstar.

1.motivation - to put money in the bank and pay bills. to keep the wolf from howling at the door. 
2. Mental health, SAD etc etc. Its always been around. i dont know where they got “1 in 4” from.  We ALL have days that we’re not feeling terrific, be it through illness, a loss in the family, financial struggles etc. I had a mental breakdown years ago simply through stress at work. The easiest way around it i find is to look at what youve got, and what you've had. Thankfully i have loved ones around me, i have a healthy ish body, i have no major disabilities. 
others are dependent on my mental health, if mine fails, then it may affect my mrs and little un, parents, brother, etc, so when it does occur i muscle up and throw it under the carpet, as i dont want that on my conscience. My elders went through world wars, some didnt make it back, some did, all saw things and went through things that should never happen again. They all had mental health problems too im sure. But they cracked on, ran hotels, had careers etc. They made the best of things and knew how fortunate they were to have a chance to simply live, once youve been through that. 
when the rains tipping down, and you get that grey feeling, just remember that some people are out crab fishing in the same weather, there are kids younger than 10 in places like pakistan slaving away in brick mines or laundry houses for pittance. Go back 100 years we had kids down the mines. However grey you feel, you are fortunate. 
3. Progress. I havent done it. But employing comes with a lot of stress looking from an outside perspective, will they show up, the expenses of employing also, are you going to be spending your life nursing them when you could just be doing it yourself. Sounds like you have the work and have the income, so why not Accept that youve succeeded? You dont need the world to be happy... If say you had health problems i could understand the wish to employ but assuming you are physically healthy then why not keep at it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All, I was out working on Thursday and got thinking about motivation, mental health and progression, would like to hear your thoughts on the topics, here are mine;

Progress - I am currently at a crossroad and don't know what I want to do. Over the last 4 years my round has grown faster than anticipated and I have the headache of being flat out but it's financially rewarding. I physically can't take on any more work as I am flat out, day in, day out. This has made me question do I want to remain as I am or employ and grow the business further. On occasions I think I should employ, but then the idea of managing (a role I had previously for 15 years, with £7m budgets and 75+ staff) makes me think I should stick as I am. How have you taken the steps to growth and has it worked for you? What would you do differently? What are the pro's and con's? What are your aspirations?

If you want to work with someone to make it more fun and bit different from time to time why not get a part time guy subbie every now and then ? Or it sounds as if your happy jus doing the work why not as you get busyier jus start getting rid of a few jobs you don't like doing as much jus pass a few custys to local cleaners means you get best of both worlds ye make your round better for you and you help other out in the process keep your chin up buddy things could always be worse 

Everyones is different mate. I think its really important to find for everyone. Mine is the kids, to be a good example. One thing I learned a while ago was not to chase the money. It always runs faster. You might do ok following money around but if you find something with a little more meaning it's much more satisfying.

I think the world worries a little too much about this nowadays. Of course we all need to talk now and again, I'm not suggesting people bottle things up. I do however believe there is a point were we need to JFDI. I've had issues in the past but got over them by getting on, picking myself up and dusting myself off. I wouldn't be where I am had I wallowed in my problems. So many people going off to see councillors nowadays but what's the end goal?? Like how do you end the saga?? With medicine or endless counselling, you only get one life so get on with it.

***I just want to confirm, I am talking generally and not about you personally dude.

Do whatever makes you happy. There are other ways out of that situation. Restructure your round to make it easier to do. A nice big price rise might drop some of the ? and leave you working less for the same money.
Totally agree particularly with the mental health part.

I have had good times and bad times over the years and have suffered with mental health in the past and may in the future, we have all had different journeys to get were we are and were we are going, I personally don't do well with stress and don't like working flat out every day, around 2 years ago I was doing subby work for a cleaning firm doing builders cleans as well as my own and in the end it had my head done in as I was racing around most days and out the door before 6.30am and sometimes not getting in till 6pm I like to be on schedule for everyone as best as I can and not feel rushed or pressured and this had my head battered at times.

Being busy but not feeling pressured to be out the door as soon as on a morning works better for me, I will happily work as late as needed on certain days, but I don't really like working 5 full days a week, because I have a bit of laziness in me, and I want to enjoy my life on a daily basis and spend 30 minutes some days talking to various clients get home not feeling knackered. 

In almost 20 years of running my own business I realised I can't please everyone and I can't keep every single client and some need dropping for various reasons over the years some take it on the chin some spit their dummy out, I am fortunate that I have almost 100% cream rounds and I will continue to refine my rounds and keep on top my game, there is a balance for everyone in life @Dale Transparent and you just need to find yours.

I think your particular problem, if you want to call it a problem is you are succesful, ironic I know.

Your business is thriving to a point where you are flat out day in day out and getting the financial rewards of your efforts. That is what is the problem in your case, your tired!!!. Why not trim back your work load a bit and smell the roses. We all get "stressed" and as been commented by others it is often used as a easy excuse (not to say Mental Health is not important,it is) and is often used by the "snowflake" crowd. 

Your problem is like mine, you are too accommodating when people ask can you do mine. Best advice i heard was the word No. You need to have a well prepared answer like 'sorry i am fully booked'. I like the winter months because i am quiet and gives me time to rest till March. Too much work is worse than too little because all it takes is bad weather and you have to catch up with people moaning when are you coming to clean mine. I invest the money back into my business with buying new equipment so i don't need to pay any tax. Holidays in the Cannaries at this time of year can help enormously.? 

Wow, thanks for all your replies guys, looking back on my post, maybe I came across as a little too negative, which wasn't my intention, I should have stated that I am happy with what I do and I want to explore options and take onboard your experiences.

@ChrisTheHelp totally agree, work life balance is key, in previous jobs I wasn't able to take my children to and from school, I do it everyday now and they'll never realise how much that means to me. Quality evening and weekend time is amazing too now.

@P4dstar great points, love JFDI and the ** disclaimer, lol. Funny enough I have just finished restructuring my schedule for the new year so that I minimise doubling back on particular areas.

@Incheck point #2, well made, maybe we need to realise we don't have it so bad, when I look back at where I was with the authority, I would take this job with half the pay rather than back to that. And yeah, the employment headache is one of my fears, maybe I need to accept that what I'm doing is successful.

@Cick love the thought of passing work to others, which I have done for lads when I don't cover areas. Had my son with me over the last few summers and the company is great, unfortunately for me/fortunately for him, he's gone to university, so maybe I will look into some friends.

@Iron Giant sorry to hear of your mental health battles, hope you don't have to go through it again, you have my respect for being able to overcome them. Balance seems to be the key, thanks.

@mike007 I definitely need to smell the roses!

@scottish cleaning service I think you are right, I need to learn to say no. As for the holiday, I've taken my first week off since Christmas and this reply is being sent from sunny Calpe.

Just like to say a big thanks to all of you who took the time and effort to reply, it's very much appreciated. Take care out there guys!

motivation...........i dont have a problem with motivation...im very self motivated and thrive on a regular work routine......even during winter and spells of bad weather.......i crack on....

mental health.......going to the gym weight training 2 or 3 times a week helps with my physical health and helps with my mental health esp during the long dark nights,im also a drummer in a band so seeing the lads and performing helps.....good diet and clean lifestyle is very important too,i have a dog and ive got my missus who is also self employed and busy so i only see her a few times a week which suits me/us fine....?

progress........theres not much more i can do really....i have the best equipment,van,etc.....its just refining and little tweaks here and there in regards to certain jobs and payment methods at the moment.......and taking on new work at slightly higher prices.....

i made a decision a few years ago to not work more than 25-30 hours a week window cleaning which helps with the first 2 things(motivation and mental health)i work much more efficiently and i dont get too stressed or fed up with the job this way......

ive been in this game for over 26 years and spent 17 years on the ladders,i was also a drinking alcoholic for many of those years.......my life was very hard,terrible in fact and could be a living hell at times,luckily i sought help many years ago now and started the journey to a much more healthy,productive life....?

Hi All,

I know this thread was posted a good few months back, but thought I would add to it.

I found a bot app called 'Woebot' (https://woebot.io/) and it's also available as an app. Started using it a few weeks ago, just because I felt like trying it and have to say, it's a handy tool for me (I know it won't be for everyone), so thought I would share.

It's good for recognising your behaviour and the psychological side of how you arrive in a place and what you can do to combat, improve or even enjoy that place, if it's a positive one.

Hope it helps

Hi All,

I know this thread was posted a good few months back, but thought I would add to it.

I found a bot app called 'Woebot' (https://woebot.io/) and it's also available as an app. Started using it a few weeks ago, just because I felt like trying it and have to say, it's a handy tool for me (I know it won't be for everyone), so thought I would share.

It's good for recognising your behaviour and the psychological side of how you arrive in a place and what you can do to combat, improve or even enjoy that place, if it's a positive one.

Hope it helps
We are all different and go through different journeys to find our path, it's took me years to be settled in my own mind, I find meditation good as I may have mentioned before, my best option is to lay down in a dark room on a Bed Of Nails  and listen to a gong bath via youTube works a treat as you go into a deep meditiave state, people do organise events for groups of people and use tibetian bowls and gongs and various instrument's this is really good experience also, my wife and I go to these once in a while 

I find meditation good as I may have mentioned before, my best option is to lay down in a dark room on a Bed Of Nails  and listen to a gong bath via youTube works a treat as you go into a deep meditiave state, people do organise events for groups of people and use tibetian bowls and gongs and various instrument's this is really good experience also, my wife and I go to these once in a while 
I thought you just got hammered on Brown Ale, or is this an additional to get out of it 

I thought you just got hammered on Brown Ale, or is this an additional to get out of it 
No mate, I am all for positive thinking hence the meditation my wife is the driving force on the things that we do and  as the warmer weather isn't far way we will be cold water dipping in the Yorkshire Dales and upper Teesdale once the water warms up to 11c

these things and our little days out to some out of the way places we would never know exist and dipping in cold water pools is very uplifting for ones mental health, people we meet on our days out look at us like  we are mad, cold water dipping, you have done cold water swimming in the past so I am sure you know that positive feeling 

Last edited by a moderator:
Following on from this subject. How have people been during this virus? I been loving be able to work through as routine is massive for me. Although strangely I am finding it harder getting back to normal busy life with people expecting to meet up & of course I want to but it's not the same still finding that hard with social distancing & no hugs. Anxiety not been good lately. Also read something horrible that messes with the head. 

I just get ****** regularly and have fun. Sorts the mental health out.

Having wages to pay is a good motivator.

Progress? We’ll be very lucky to turn over half of what we did last year. But hey, tough tits innit.

Ive been struggling with my mental health for a few years for a number of reasons, so looking at lots of things to try and improve it. 

Ive finally decided im going to refocus properly and give it 1 year of trying to get what i want, if Im no further down the line I will sell up and do something else

Pandemic wise

already reduced staffing and disposed of 30% of our revenue to purely focus on external now, I dont think we have touched the sides of how this is going to affect us all, my focus throughout all of this has been economically protecting my familys life/wealth

Following on from this subject. How have people been during this virus? I been loving be able to work through as routine is massive for me. Although strangely I am finding it harder getting back to normal busy life with people expecting to meet up & of course I want to but it's not the same still finding that hard with social distancing & no hugs. Anxiety not been good lately. Also read something horrible that messes with the head. 
im not a very social being these days so it suits me not meeting up with lots of people...i used to be at every party going and would often stay out all night every week,to say i partied hard in my late teens and 20s is an understatement!,clubbing,playing drums in bands(still doing a bit of that!)but im getting older(ill be 50 next year)....

the main thing im missing is the gym and meeting up with the lads rehearsing or playing a gig...im also missing my holidays abroad with my missus,we try and go at least twice a year.....but obviously there on hold......

i read a book called "jigsaw man" by paul britton many years ago now......i vowed never to read anything like that anymore about the dark side of human nature so i dont!great book though and ive a lot of respect for guys like him........

Latest Posts

Back