Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Leaded Windows Grrrr....

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Wfp is the obvious answer but if you don't Have one use a wet cloth and a dry one that's the easiest way

Use my wet sill micro, then buff up with a scrim... If it is a very large pane then I'd maybe mop, blade then scrim.. I hate leaded windows lol

lots of clothes?

wet cloth, buff with microfibre, thats not really hard work either?
yer the cloth that you buff with gets wet and be no good, so you need another one, ans so on. one cloth to buff with wont last long if they have lots of windows, plus if you have 5 plus houses with them you will need a lot of clothes to clean them all.

Bear in mind that lead is highly poisonous and you need to minimise your exposure as it is absorbed through the skin. :blink: There was some stuff on the forums several years ago about two window cleaners in Ireland dieing of lead poisoning and this was attributed to working on leaded windows.

yer the cloth that you buff with gets wet and be no good, so you need another one, ans so on. one cloth to buff with wont last long if they have lots of windows, plus if you have 5 plus houses with them you will need a lot of clothes to clean them all.
If your doing it with a cloth yeah you probably will need a lot of them. If you use a scrim it should last at the very least 1 house

When it comes to leaded, I mop then rag most of the water off then dry my blade, then blade them down bit by bit, works wonders 4 me /emoticons/smile.png

Bear in mind that lead is highly poisonous and you need to minimise your exposure as it is absorbed through the skin. :blink: There was some stuff on the forums several years ago about two window cleaners in Ireland dieing of lead poisoning and this was attributed to working on leaded windows.
not to sure, i've worked with lead for a long time with plumbin, roofing etc and still here! and that with cutting it moulding it all by hand,

Stained glass is either assembles with lead "came" or copper foil. In both cases lead/tin solder is used. The solder is either 50% tin/50% lead or 60% tin/40% lead. Lead came is typically between 98% to 100% lead. There is no lead in the glass.

I should point out that there is no real danger of lead poisoning through a stained glass windows. In order to get lead poisoning you need to inhale or ingest the lead.

I just do the usual wet then blade to take off whatever I can then wet cloth and dry scrim what remains. Takes longer but I charge more...

Only use 1 buffing cloth all week. Good thing with spray I use is it drys near enough smear free so just quick buff & never gets wet.

Only use 1 buffing cloth all week. Good thing with spray I use is it drys near enough smear free so just quick buff & never gets wet.
what spray do you use on leaded windows then??

Astonish tile & window cleaner. My missis always used it so thought I'd give it a try about 2 years ago & use it all the time now.

Astonish tile & window cleaner. My missis always used it so thought I'd give it a try about 2 years ago & use it all the time now.
oh right, i only use this on one job but thats an internal one in a pub that has a lead window wall by the door entrance so it has finger marks all over it, but not sure i would use it on the outsides tho.

lol, so you meant cloths then (not clothes,lol).

even so i wet 2 or 3 panes with my sills cloth then go back and buff with a microfibre, most of the water has already dried when i come to buff it so one cloth lasts all day, i only do a couple of leaded houses a day but i also use the same technique on small fanlights and really bumpy glass

Back