Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pricing help and what size pole for the 3rd floor?

paddie

Good afternoon, 

just trying to price up a quote for a block of flats. I think it will be a one off but hoping they might do regular Maybe 4 or 6 monthly. It is Owned by a local consortium, and I wouldn’t have to deal with any tenants as such. 

Have only done houses as yet. 

The consortium also have a 6/7storey building in the city centre which they would also like a quote for so I would need to buy a longer pole. Do poles go up that high? If so which would you recommend.

cheers in advance. 

A0371B68-5834-4987-A35C-C984DC53D482.jpeg

A7968654-0F0E-4425-B801-7A1E74D1B1E5.jpeg

23AD140A-F435-4FFB-A748-AE110E6410DF.jpeg

Assuming you have to do the glass balconies and the glass roof above entrance porch, but not the flats behind the balconies then even if fairly dirty it should only be a comfortable days work. There are a lot of fairly big windows but it's all nice straight lines so you will get through them quickly, tree in the bottom corner of the last picture might get in the way a little. If you do get the job buy a 45cm brush with 4 pencil jets..

Regarding the 6 / 7 floor block then yes poles go up that high but you will need to find out how high it is as a 57' Modular pole might get 6th floor, won't get 7th, is circa £1200. A 63' pole is circa £2800 and a 74' pole is £3.5k plus. All of these poles are technically hard to use and the latter 2 are also very physically hard to use.

Doubt a 27' pole would get 3rd floor so you'd probably need a 35 footer.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the pole info part timer.  will steer clear of the 6/7 storey building for now.

what price would you quote for the building in the photos?  

I appreciate you said it will take approx 1 day so can do a day rate (200-250) but was thinking might be too cheap as its 50 flats in total and some communal doors etc.

thanks for the pole info part timer.  will steer clear of the 6/7 storey building for now.

I appreciate you said it will take approx 1 day so can do a day rate (200-250) but was thinking might be too cheap as its 50 flats in total and some communal doors etc.
I don't like getting involved with "how much for this" All areas and people have different ideas, personally would quote a price I'd be happy to work a full day for. Not being funny but after doing that I think you deserve to go home. You might need a gooseneck to get the balcony windows, always hard to judge from photos, and a big set of step ladders to do the glass entrance. 

The 35' pole is a best guess as well, I've got one and never not managed to get 3rd floor with it, however 3rd floor above the underground carpark looks quite high.

Good luck

You nearly always under price commercial work at the begging.  If it's a one off they will pay £350.00 upwards. You could do with asking when the last time they were cleaned, then give them a price for one off and every 3 months. If they haven't been cleaned for 6 months up the price.

I agree with what @Part Timer has said , but if it’s not going to be a regular job then the price needs to be dearer in my book it will take longer the first time , more water harder work and all that costs , we would be in the region of £450- 550 as a one off for that building . With two people we would do that in around a morning or maybe a bit longer , that’s using hot water and higher flow rate .

The 6-7 storey stuff if you haven’t done work at this height before you will struggle it’s hard work and totally different to cleaning two storey houses ,again the poles we have for this type of work cost 3:5 k aprox each so unless you are going to be doing a lot of it it’s not financially viable to pay that for a pole , good luck with getting the job .

you ll need a 47 footer to be on the safe side for that building in the pic...id go in at £350 for a first clean and £300 if it was ongoing(eg 12 weekly)and expect it to take 5 or 6 hours on a first clean...

Back