Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pvc fascia gutter cleaning

Does anyone softwash pvc, looks to be handier than scrubbing it? 

You will still need to scrub it as softwashing pvc will still leave most of the algi behind it just turns it translucent so you cannot see it , it’s not hard work giving it a light scrub and rinsing , we do thousands of sm2 each year this way it will give far better results , than just spraying with a hypo mix and rinsing .

You will still need to scrub it as softwashing pvc will still leave most of the algi behind it just turns it translucent so you cannot see it , it’s not hard work giving it a light scrub and rinsing , we do thousands of sm2 each year this way it will give far better results , than just spraying with a hypo mix and rinsing .
@Pjj thanks

I done pvc job on Saturday, 30 odd meters, scrubbed with water an brillo with wfp. 

Just seeing if I could speed things up. 

How come the algae stays on the pvc after hypo but it comes off roofs an walls? 

@Pjj thanks

I done pvc job on Saturday, 30 odd meters, scrubbed with water an brillo with wfp. 

Just seeing if I could speed things up. 

How come the algae stays on the pvc after hypo but it comes off roofs an walls? 
You don’t want to be using a Brillo pad on plastic it will scratch it badly take the shine off it and give a key for re growth of algi . 

Evan when doing walls a light rub with wfp will give much better results ,roofs arnt so important as you won’t see them close up but a painted smooth surface always looks better when scrubbed , the only exceptions are using a high pressure hose of pressure washer to rinse down but if you don’t cover every square inch you will get striping 

Below is a building we did the way I have described its k rend .without scrubbing you won’t get this kind of result , however over time just like using bio products where rain hits a wall and runs down it will take some of the dirt off but under eaves and areas that don’t get lots of rain it will just stay there . Hypo should be rinsed off after the cleaning process as it will turn to salt and that can and will result in a mottled surface as the hypo breaks down 

15C4B70F-94B5-43EA-BFB7-1F9EDAC8AFEF.jpeg

B4DF76D8-92B5-4684-97E7-8E4EA908C117.jpeg

Some difference there @Pjj

I meant brillo the degrease, works well low suds, an leaves a shine. 

Is there a diff in softwashing k rend than concrete or tarmac using hypo. 

Thanks for the reply

There's 2 of us, usually just put the hot water on, but never done anything this size. Hopefully the price I've quoted is to high and I don't get it. 
Haha

Be sore on the body doing 35ft up, but you could put a ladder up first as to shorten your pole reach. 

Some difference there @Pjj

I meant brillo the degrease, works well low suds, an leaves a shine. 

Is there a diff in softwashing k rend than concrete or tarmac using hypo. 

Thanks for the reply

Haha

Be sore on the body doing 35ft up, but you could put a ladder up first as to shorten your pole reach. 

Ah ok thought you meant Brillo pads , what ever the surface you are softwashing the principals are the same ,obviously you don’t need to wfp  tarmac , again be careful  not to use hypo to strong on tarmac as some have bleached it , always wet the area down first with a garden hose what ever the surface is , wet down any vegetation that you don’t  want to damage or kill , and mist water on plants before during and after hypo application to other areas that are being cleaned this will stop burning or killing them . 

Concrete walls , painted render , k rend the cleaning process is the same painted render is the quickest and easiest to clean , we do a lot of all types and the results are always very good , with painted surfaces covered in red, black, green algi provided the paint isn’t flaking or thin there is no need to re paint for at least a couple of years after cleaning , this saves the customer a lot of money I have a large portfolio of all types before and after photos that I show customers this always sells its self , the pictures of the one below the customer wouldn’t believe we could clean it , I said if it didn’t come up as good as new I wouldn’t charge them , they were delighted with  the results and have now recommended us to several friends and family 

5C9E3D71-A7A0-49CE-BE52-F2D7DB86460C.jpeg

0475380F-1DC5-47D9-96D9-DF34DC00D9F4.jpeg

10382345-BA8F-4CE9-943A-449E576E77EB.jpeg

22193AC6-FD84-42AC-A21B-AFBA5743C975.jpeg

Best way I've found is using a gardiner universal sill brush, and plenty of ubik, get the pole at at good length so you can put it between your legs and wiggle the pole side to side, sounds stupid but it scrubs well

Ah ok thought you meant Brillo pads , what ever the surface you are softwashing the principals are the same ,obviously you don’t need to wfp  tarmac , again be careful  not to use hypo to strong on tarmac as some have bleached it , always wet the area down first with a garden hose what ever the surface is , wet down any vegetation that you don’t  want to damage or kill , and mist water on plants before during and after hypo application to other areas that are being cleaned this will stop burning or killing them . 

Concrete walls , painted render , k rend the cleaning process is the same painted render is the quickest and easiest to clean , we do a lot of all types and the results are always very good , with painted surfaces covered in red, black, green algi provided the paint isn’t flaking or thin there is no need to re paint for at least a couple of years after cleaning , this saves the customer a lot of money I have a large portfolio of all types before and after photos that I show customers this always sells its self , the pictures of the one below the customer wouldn’t believe we could clean it , I said if it didn’t come up as good as new I wouldn’t charge them , they were delighted with  the results and have now recommended us to several friends and family 

View attachment 18417

View attachment 18418

View attachment 18419

View attachment 18420

This excellent work. What did you use on this? Hypo?

Looks great. I'm just getting into other exterior cleaning work as ive never done jobs like this but I want to learn. 

Do you know if theres a page that shows how to do softwashing like this?

Best thing to do is watch some videos on YouTube, but dont take everything on there as gospel. Darran smith at purple rhino does some very good training courses , if you have a backpack and wfp you can do work like this that’s what we used on this job we do a lot of this kind of thing now , I have just built a softwashing machine and will be up and running in the spring but a backpack is fine just takes a bit longer . My advice would be ti start on garden walls get a bit of experience and confidence then start on customers houses learn and get paid 

at the same time ?? 

Take a look on Benz softwashing web site some useful info on there 

Last edited by a moderator:
Best thing to do is watch some videos on YouTube, but dont take everything on there as gospel. Darran smith at purple rhino does some very good training courses , if you have a backpack and wfp you can do work like this that’s what we used on this job we do a lot of this kind of thing now , I have just built a softwashing machine and will be up and running in the spring but a backpack is fine just takes a bit longer . My advice would be ti start on garden walls get a bit of experience and confidence then start on customers houses learn and get laid at the same time ?? 

Take a look on Benz softwashing web site some useful info on there 

Thanks for the tips! I will head on over to YouTube and have a look.

done hundreds of these over the years (25) soffits,facias,gutters ,down pipes and frames and the best way imo is the solvent cleaner that comes in one litre tubes.really gets the bad stuff off and leaves the plastic with a nice sheen on it.tried the water fed pole jobby but doesnt get in the nooks and crannies. one guy had hes done with a competitor by the pole system whilst i did his neighbours my way,wow could you tell the diff!! ended up doin half the street..takes a bit longer but in the long run more profitable,recomendation goes a long way in this job.imo the pole jobby shud be left for window cleaning only.

done hundreds of these over the years (25) soffits,facias,gutters ,down pipes and frames and the best way imo is the solvent cleaner that comes in one litre tubes.really gets the bad stuff off and leaves the plastic with a nice sheen on it.tried the water fed pole jobby but doesnt get in the nooks and crannies. one guy had hes done with a competitor by the pole system whilst i did his neighbours my way,wow could you tell the diff!! ended up doin half the street..takes a bit longer but in the long run more profitable,recomendation goes a long way in this job.imo the pole jobby shud be left for window cleaning only.
What happens when or if that ladder slips ?  

How to you clean the fascia and soffits on the gable end, do you extend the ladders to the roof line.

The benefit of wfp is that it does get into all the nooks and crannies.

I was a trad rat for 25 years before using wfp so do know the differences between methods and you won't get as good a job with rags as you will with the correct chemicals and wfp/hose.

Back