Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hokey Cokey customers.

dmw

Had a customer a bit back ask me to leave their flat for a while due to redundancy, "no problem tell us when you are back on your feet and I'll carry on". Fast forward a few months the customer is in gainful employment and asked me to carry on my duties.

Fast forward to yesterday and having just cleaned them he's asked me to leave them for a while " because they were clean for a few months when you last stopped doing them" and yet wasn't interested in paying extra for an extended cleaning period. So my mind's made up I'm not having him back.

You're either in our out .

Anybody else have "teeth pulling" customers?

Took a job on last year 4/5 bed detached house she was on maternity leave at the time I cleaned for a 6 months then she asked me to stop due to finances, restarted in the January lasted 8 months brought up maternity leave again as they had another baby, but she is back at work so I am thinking she is a Autumn/winter skipper, it annoys me that people aren't just upfront and honest 

It’s that time of year isn’t it, I lost three this week to “can you start back when the weather gets better” yea no problem... binned! They can contact bucket bob the local beer token lad who turns up once or twice in the summer, I’m all year round take it or leave it. Happy to be  less accommodative now I feel well established.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had one last week,

"can we leave it till March, as i cant see the point over winter"

Before i could say "ok but come March there will be a first clean charge, and thats only based on if i can fit you in again"

She pipes up with

"If you can also book my next door neighbour in March to, and on the first clean can you also clear the gutters and clean all the gutters fascias and soffets on both houses"

Pretty sure ill squeeze her back in ??

Anybody else have "teeth pulling" customers?

Does the pope have a balcony? lol

I've been sacked twice in two days - by the same client!  :banghead3:  Yes you did read that right.. sacked me once, then decided they wanted me back (literally texted me back within two hours of sacking me) and then sacked me again the next day when i went back - in favour of a more expensive windy who does less work for his fee and all cos he works with their partner  :groups_cuddle:    :beerchug:

That after previously booking me for every week. A horrible loss of £81 per month (based on 4 weeks) - or just over a grand a year - which was still cheaper than the other guy (with more work being done)!!! I was absolutely stunned. Talk about carrot dangling..

As a consequence their number is now blocked! When they return to their senses and realise that cheaper for more is good business (by way of the company auditor) they'll have some awkward explaining to do   :1f44f:     :innoc:

so I am thinking she is a Autumn/winter skipper, it annoys me that people aren't just upfront and honest 

I think it's best just to ask them outright if they'd prefer to skip autumn winter each year then at least you know where you stand, no bad feelings and you can treat their work as a bonus in the warmer months. I had one who was showing a pattern of skipping every 2nd month. In the end I asked him if he'd prefer every 2 months instead. He jumped at it. I figured that at least i'd got the work and he's got less annoying texts / excuses / bad feelings. Then the fake lead started coming off his already difficult windows and i found myself thinking it just isn't worth the agro so i've dropped him. Can't really afford to but i don't want any "you damaged my windows" ****.

I’ve had a few of these over the years. Typical “can we leave it as the weather is going to be bad”, “they’re still clean from the last time” and people who suddenly decide they don’t like leaving their gate unlocked so you have got to arrange a time for them to be in. Bin the lot of them! 

However, I can completely understand someone who is new to the game and needs the money. I for one used to let things slide. Now, any sign of di**ing me about and they get sacked off; feels quite liberating!

I think it's best just to ask them outright if they'd prefer to skip autumn winter each year then at least you know where you stand, no bad feelings and you can treat their work as a bonus in the warmer months.
No point, she is sacked off as of today

Every new customer I encourage to go 8 weekly the only frequencies I offer is 4 or 8 weekly some want the 4 weekly ? but by 8 to 10 weeks my customers are really glad to see, recently had a couple of my 4 weekly go 8 weekly for winter month I charge a little more so everyone is happy, any that ask me to leave it until spring I drop and never go back. I would be happy if all my clients were 8 weekly TBH charge a little more and because you have so many client if you lose one it makes no odds and very easy replaced. 

Had one last week,

"can we leave it till March, as i cant see the point over winter"

Before i could say "ok but come March there will be a first clean charge, and thats only based on if i can fit you in again"

She pipes up with

"If you can also book my next door neighbour in March to, and on the first clean can you also clear the gutters and clean all the gutters fascias and soffets on both houses"

Pretty sure ill squeeze her back in ??
You will find they are one offs me thinks.

That's fair enough.. but if it's a custy that's easy to replace then if you kept them for the warmer months it's a bit of bonus money to spend right?
There is nothing wrong with putting up with it if you need the work and want to build up your rounds/work on a street or estate as I have done it in the past, but I am fortunate enough my rounds are now full, with just some refining and culling to do over the coming months. 

I have a few that spend winters abroad, suits me as you have 20% less time November through February 
I have one that for last 8 years or so has spent 4 months abroad with family, but they were upfront with me and I have known them for years so have no issue, they tell me when they are due to go and what month they will back. 

Had my first one yesterday "Can you leave them until spring? They don't need doing over the winter". 

"No, I'll leave them for the next window cleaner" I said.

"What do you mean?"

"Get someone else to do them!" ?

Seriously though, he's a mate and as I already did them for mate's rates, it's already not worth me doing them! "Okay, carry on doing them" he said, once I'd explained to him.

"But can you leave it a bit longer between cleans?"

Already 8 weekly......No chance...

Haha yeah I did an 8 weekly the other day. Chap comes out and says “can you do every other visit?” That IS every other visit ffs! I wont be going back.

I have to 'fess up I offer all my custy's a frequency to suit them...and say 6weekly is most popular but offer 8/10/12/etc. I also say feel free to change frequency out or in if you think it would better for you at any time (few do).

I know it's not quite as efficient but IMO custy's appreciates they are choosing and therefore they are in control - after all they are the customer - I get very few custy's stopping/skipping months etc. I can count on one hand how many have left to go to a cheaper windie.(I don't compete on price) Give them what THEY want and they will value that - IMO

I've had quite a few custy's say how refreshing / appreciated not to be told when they will have their windows cleaned.

Over time I migrate and group common frequency together so all 6wks on mon, 8wks on tue etc so I'm not doing excessively more travel...does anyone else believe in giving the customer what they want (within reason)?

I have to 'fess up I offer all my custy's a frequency to suit them...and say 6weekly is most popular but offer 8/10/12/etc. I also say feel free to change frequency out or in if you think it would better for you at any time (few do).

I know it's not quite as efficient but IMO custy's appreciates they are choosing and therefore they are in control - after all they are the customer - I get very few custy's stopping/skipping months etc. I can count on one hand how many have left to go to a cheaper windie.(I don't compete on price) Give them what THEY want and they will value that - IMO

I've had quite a few custy's say how refreshing / appreciated not to be told when they will have their windows cleaned.

Over time I migrate and group common frequency together so all 6wks on mon, 8wks on tue etc so I'm not doing excessively more travel...does anyone else believe in giving the customer what they want (within reason)?
No 

every 4 or 8 Weeks I have too many clients to be here there and everywhere ? I work to a very strict schedule and would be impossible to do it any other way 8 weekly falls perfect with the 4 weekly, 6 weekly or any other schedule just don’t mix with my two cleaning frequencies.

Each to their own and everyone is different but the above works for me. 

Latest Posts

Back