Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

To vent or not to vent - that is the question

WCF

Help Support WCF:

NoName

So do you clean the air vents or skirt round them? I know lots avoid cleaning them...

My take is (unless one offs) I clean them - get rid of months/years of dirt and then there's next to nothing accumulated on subsequent visits.

Takes a few seconds longer clean and rinse... but means it can rain as hard as it likes and the windows will stay clean 'cos there's nothing to containment it.

Crucially I figure I've de-fused the ticking time bomb of water trickling down after I've gone and staining the window with vent dirt - which will be an ever present risk on every subsequent ever - unless you bite the bullet and just clean'em - simples no?

An extra few minutes per vent on first cleans will save you a lifetime of problems. 
Couldn't agree more. A windy I took work off never did them and if he didn't he expected more money. In my view do them on the first clean, if you get dirty runoff when they dry then it's to be expected (being a first clean).

second clean you clean away the drips but the vent can be avoided, least that what I do. After that it's just a quick touch up now and then.

Yes allow more time for the first clean charge double so you are covered anyway , we give the vents a really good clean squirting water inside them until no more dirt comes out , they look much better, and you wont get any problems on subsequent cleans , there is only one way to do the job and that’s to do it right 

Some vents can become loose  or moved via the brushing, especially on new builds,   not as solid as older homes.   Happened a couple of times,   as soon as brush touched them they were hanging off.    Be gentle with brush in case.

Back