Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Go cardless fees up from feb

The Window Ninja

Evenin' All

In the last day or two I have watched a few Youtube videos and read some forum posts about Go Cardless.

I am now convinced of the benefits, especially about the 1% fees I heard mentioned.

So I go on the Go Cardless website to sign up, only to discover that the fees are 1% plus 20p per transaction. 

Most of my work is stuff thats between 5 and 10 quid per house / shop, which make the fees more like 3 to 6% transaction.

Am I missing something here, or should I just stay with my Izettle card reader which is only 1.6% per transaction.

Any advice much appreciated.

Baz the Window Ninja.

its supposed to be minimum 20p

but a lot of us seem to still be paying the old rate of 1% on any amount
If you signed up before it changed you keep the old tariff as that is what you signed up to.

Mine has always been 1% flat rate and nothing else.

Mate signed up more recently and it is different for him.

I seem to be the only person on here to have my gocardless account suspended for being a partnership. I even went and brought a Ipad Pro to fix into the van so could do it on the run...... what makes it worse is they took £50 off one of my customers and the took weeks before paying him back. not a happy bunny.

@Cleanteam South west this doesn't sound great. What do you mean being a partnership? 

For the effort it takes to get customer to change the way they pay you. I would be gutted to spend the next few years working to signup customers to this, then have this kind of thing happen.

Anyone else had similar problems?

As far as I’m aware it’s going up from a 1% flat rate to 1% + 20p. So basically each transaction will be 20p more. I reckon it will cost me an extra £20 a month more in fees. But in all honesty it’s still well worth it I think for the stability and convenience of it. 

It seems you are right the fees have gone up. I’m definitely only paying 1% flat fee with a minimum of 20p atm, but I’ve been told it’s going up for everyone if Feb next year to 1% plus 20p.

2A68DF60-A1DF-4942-BB09-12EA598455A7.jpeg

I seem to be the only person on here to have my gocardless account suspended for being a partnership. I even went and brought a Ipad Pro to fix into the van so could do it on the run...... what makes it worse is they took £50 off one of my customers and the took weeks before paying him back. not a happy bunny.
I had this issue too. I decided to go into partnership with my wife and changed my bank account on my GC Dash and it asked what I was trading as I I said a partnership. Massive error, they suspended my account too. I’d been using it a while and had quite a lot of customers on it. In the end I decided it was better to keep using GC than be in a partnership so I decided against going into partnership with my wife, emailed GC and they re activated my account straight away.

The only partnerships allowed are LLP’s.

@Cleanteam South west this doesn't sound great. What do you mean being a partnership? 

For the effort it takes to get customer to change the way they pay you. I would be gutted to spend the next few years working to signup customers to this, then have this kind of thing happen.

Anyone else had similar problems?
GC don't allow partnerships so I am thinking there is more to it I also I don't see how GC could take out £50 from a clients account without a GC customer such as us windys making a request for payment of service as GC are a middleman if you like, I have been using GC for over 5 years now without any issues.  

Me and my wife are a partnership on the business and have been since we started in 2010, 

What happend is they set up the account an said you can now take customers as they verified, this would take a couple of days, it took two weeks of me having to ring them in the end and email over bank statements. 

If i could i would still use go cardless but they have this policy.... i cant see why its an issues.

Will our prices increase though?

When my mate signed up it was 2% flat rate but my old account is still 1%.

Seems they aren't putting up existing accounts prices.

Bit naughty if they do as customers already signed up.

I had just gone GC only for new customers. With a doubling of fees I’ve gone back on that. I’ll continue to offer it but it isn’t my preferred payment method. 
the fees haven’t doubled, if they had doubled they would have gone to 2%. It’s gone to 1% plus 20 p. For eg, before a £10 payment would have cost 20p (minimum GC fee). Now it will cost 30p. So anything up to £20 fees will be up to 15p extra, anything over that it’s just an extra 20 p on top. Nobody likes things to go up but they all do. My prices go up every year. For me personally it is still worth it, it’s my much preferred method of payment as it’s hassle free. It is also still a lot cheaper than PayPal, and cheaper than card payment options.

Latest Posts

Back