Chriscp

Public Liability Insurance

Chriscp

Hi

Any recommendations  for the above, sole trader, no employees, wfp, residential but hoping to pick up some commercial..no tools insurance required..

Thanks

Part Timer

One of the sponsors on here @Simply Businessdoes it as well as others such as Gleaming. Just make sure you're insured for the glass you're working on. 

Chriscp

Part timer

Thanks for that, have been looking around at old posts, and getting various quotes, so you would say that covering the glass you are working on is very important?

Part Timer
2 minutes ago, Chriscp said:

Part timer

Thanks for that, have been looking around at old posts, and getting various quotes, so you would say that covering the glass you are working on is very important?

Depends on what you're cleaning, I do some big curved glass windows that would cost £1k+ to replace. If you're just going to be doing standard windows then probably not as important. Get 2 quotes, one with and one without, and decide what's best for you. 

Chriscp

Thinks its probably wise to just have it, new start up, one less thing to worry about for the sake of few extra quid. One question I do have though, looking at going mainly residential but also the odd commercial bit further down the line, would you say 1 mil is enough to start of with..

Simply Business
29 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

One of the sponsors on here @Simply Businessdoes it as well as others such as Gleaming. Just make sure you're insured for the glass you're working on. 

Thanks for the shout out @Part Timer

If you need any help with questions I'm happy to help 🙂 Or if you just want to look at the quote form and see what questions we ask and what we offer just click on the link https://www.simplybusiness.co.uk/insurance/window-cleaners/

Chriscp

Simply business 

If you can pm me, we can chat on there,

Pjj

The problem with being insured for the window you are working on is very expensive , when I got quotes for  it the excess alone was £500 + the original premium , in over 20 years I have never claimed so I just have normal insurance if I damage a piece of glass costing 2k it would still work out far cheaper to just pay for it myself as the savings in the original premium would more than pay for it .

Part Timer
47 minutes ago, Chriscp said:

Thinks its probably wise to just have it, new start up, one less thing to worry about for the sake of few extra quid. One question I do have though, looking at going mainly residential but also the odd commercial bit further down the line, would you say 1 mil is enough to start of with..

If you're a relative newbie I doubt you could get anymore. Most companies only really want to know that you have it so £1m is enough. In my experience it tends to be £5m on the bigger multi site work, cross that bridge when you get to it. 

Pjj

we have 5 million cover as that’s what our commercial clients state we need to have , but fir domestic 1 million is fine , but if you pick up any commercial they may require more , that’s what I found in my first years trading so had to get a new policy as the firm I was with at the time couldn’t up grade it . 

laddergarder

give premierline business insurance a try, they were a few hundred pounds cheaper than the quote I got from simply business last year.

Part Timer
1 hour ago, laddergarder said:

give premierline business insurance a try, they were a few hundred pounds cheaper than the quote I got from simply business last year.

A few hundred cheaper, I don't pay that for 2 people, £5m and glass worked on insured

Chriscp

Am I right in believing gleaming includes the glass you are working on? I have emailed them to clarify, coming up around the £140 Mark for a year which seems fairly reasonable. What are you other one man bands paying?

Thanks

Pjj
9 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

A few hundred cheaper, I don't pay that for 2 people, £5m and glass worked on insured

Just out of interest what do you pay ? And what’s the excess? If you don’t want to say on a public forum I do understand. 

2 minutes ago, Chriscp said:

Am I right in believing gleaming includes the glass you are working on? I have emailed them to clarify, coming up around the £140 Mark for a year which seems fairly reasonable. What are you other one man bands paying?

Thanks

Read the small print carefully as to what the excess is that you have to pay on any claim most are between £250 -500 you can replace all household windows for less than the excess price so no point claiming then having an increased premium the next year . 

laddergarder
35 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

The last quote I got from simply business was £630 for myself and one employee. Public and employers liabilty. Which I subsequently cancelled.

My insurance this year was £330.

Master Jedi Alejandro
53 minutes ago, Chriscp said:

Thanks

That’s right mate but double check it before you take our insurance. I’ll add that there standard excess for me was £250 and the same with the previous insurance I had which didn’t include cover for worked upon. Also, they let you pay monthly at 0% so it’s also decent in that regard. 

Part Timer
1 hour ago, Pjj said:

Just out of interest what do you pay ? And what’s the excess? If you don’t want to say on a public forum I do understand.

£184.13 with £250 excess, I don't however use the chemicals you do

laddergarder
23 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

Does this include employer's liability if you dont mind me asking, and if yes, who are you with?

Pjj
16 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

Thats interesting , my current insurance company have asked for a % of each type of work we do , so we clean windows, gutter vac, pressure wash, and softwash , and clean gfs , they asked for figures of how much we do of each so as an example 60%windows ,10%  pressure washing,10% softwashing,10% gfs 10% gutter vaccing  I have just renewed mine and using chemicals such as virosol, sodium hypochlorite, and any other unnamed chemicals I pay similar to you , and the excess is £250 the chemicals didn’t make any difference to the premium but they just wanted to know what we use . I think this is a strange way to determine a premium as who can prove or disprove how much actual work you do in any area ?? I think all insurance is a bit of Russian roulette 😂😂