Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Public Liability Insurance

Chriscp

Hi

Any recommendations  for the above, sole trader, no employees, wfp, residential but hoping to pick up some commercial..no tools insurance required..

Thanks

Part timer

Thanks for that, have been looking around at old posts, and getting various quotes, so you would say that covering the glass you are working on is very important?

Part timer

Thanks for that, have been looking around at old posts, and getting various quotes, so you would say that covering the glass you are working on is very important?
Depends on what you're cleaning, I do some big curved glass windows that would cost £1k+ to replace. If you're just going to be doing standard windows then probably not as important. Get 2 quotes, one with and one without, and decide what's best for you. 

Thinks its probably wise to just have it, new start up, one less thing to worry about for the sake of few extra quid. One question I do have though, looking at going mainly residential but also the odd commercial bit further down the line, would you say 1 mil is enough to start of with..

The problem with being insured for the window you are working on is very expensive , when I got quotes for  it the excess alone was £500 + the original premium , in over 20 years I have never claimed so I just have normal insurance if I damage a piece of glass costing 2k it would still work out far cheaper to just pay for it myself as the savings in the original premium would more than pay for it .

Thinks its probably wise to just have it, new start up, one less thing to worry about for the sake of few extra quid. One question I do have though, looking at going mainly residential but also the odd commercial bit further down the line, would you say 1 mil is enough to start of with..
If you're a relative newbie I doubt you could get anymore. Most companies only really want to know that you have it so £1m is enough. In my experience it tends to be £5m on the bigger multi site work, cross that bridge when you get to it. 

we have 5 million cover as that’s what our commercial clients state we need to have , but fir domestic 1 million is fine , but if you pick up any commercial they may require more , that’s what I found in my first years trading so had to get a new policy as the firm I was with at the time couldn’t up grade it . 

Am I right in believing gleaming includes the glass you are working on? I have emailed them to clarify, coming up around the £140 Mark for a year which seems fairly reasonable. What are you other one man bands paying?

Thanks

A few hundred cheaper, I don't pay that for 2 people, £5m and glass worked on insured

Just out of interest what do you pay ? And what’s the excess? If you don’t want to say on a public forum I do understand. 

Am I right in believing gleaming includes the glass you are working on? I have emailed them to clarify, coming up around the £140 Mark for a year which seems fairly reasonable. What are you other one man bands paying?

Thanks

Read the small print carefully as to what the excess is that you have to pay on any claim most are between £250 -500 you can replace all household windows for less than the excess price so no point claiming then having an increased premium the next year . 

Thanks
That’s right mate but double check it before you take our insurance. I’ll add that there standard excess for me was £250 and the same with the previous insurance I had which didn’t include cover for worked upon. Also, they let you pay monthly at 0% so it’s also decent in that regard. 

£184.13 with £250 excess, I don't however use the chemicals you do

Thats interesting , my current insurance company have asked for a % of each type of work we do , so we clean windows, gutter vac, pressure wash, and softwash , and clean gfs , they asked for figures of how much we do of each so as an example 60%windows ,10%  pressure washing,10% softwashing,10% gfs 10% gutter vaccing  I have just renewed mine and using chemicals such as virosol, sodium hypochlorite, and any other unnamed chemicals I pay similar to you , and the excess is £250 the chemicals didn’t make any difference to the premium but they just wanted to know what we use . I think this is a strange way to determine a premium as who can prove or disprove how much actual work you do in any area ?? I think all insurance is a bit of Russian roulette ??

Does this include employer's liability if you dont mind me asking, and if yes, who are you with?
No it's a partnership, I would expect to pay significantly more with Employers Liability. It's through A Plan. 

Thats interesting , my current insurance company have asked for a % of each type of work we do , so we clean windows, gutter vac, pressure wash, and softwash , and clean gfs , they asked for figures of how much we do of each so as an example 60%windows ,10%  pressure washing,10% softwashing,10% gfs 10% gutter vaccing  I have just renewed mine and using chemicals such as virosol, sodium hypochlorite, and any other unnamed chemicals I pay similar to you , and the excess is £250 the chemicals didn’t make any difference to the premium but they just wanted to know what we use . I think this is a strange way to determine a premium as who can prove or disprove how much actual work you do in any area ?? I think all insurance is a bit of Russian roulette ??
I'm down as 60% window cleaning and 40% gutter and fascia cleaning. I'm also insured for the windows I'm working on, they could actually get your invoices and calculate percentages from there. Mine's due for renewal in February so will probably be circa £200. They always seem to try and put it up 5% every year.

Latest Posts

Back