Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Does Everyone Use a Flat Surface Cleaner?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

JasonD

Hi all, I'm planning on adding pressure washing to my window cleaning business. 

My issue is I'm quite limited for space in the back of my truck. I have a pickup truck with a water fed pole system in the back and reels etc.

I could fit a decent pressure washer in the back but not a flat surface cleaner as well.

I dont want to buy a trailer and have it hitched to my truck all of the time. Does anyone just use a turbo nozzle to do drives, patios etc?

We use a fsc more than a turbo , but I know some favour the turbo , but I find they make a hell of a mess compared to a fsc , but both will do the job just make sure you don’t end up missing bits as when it’s dry it will look Stripey.

We use flat surface cleaners, Turbo nozzles and normal fan nozzles. they all have there uses, if your doing a large flat area then you will use your flat surface cleaner, everything else just use turbo or spray ... if using on decking than a turbo will rip the wood up so only use the normal fan jet 

I use turbo on decking, but I don't use it close to the decking to avoid damage.

Give the area you're planning on pressure washing a good soaking to help avoid blowing dirt up from the flowerbeds.

Use a tennis ball in the lance trigger, saves vibration in your hands especially if your doing larger areas for prolonged periods.

Make sure you check all areas washed for leaving stripes before you pack away the machine and basically hose down flowers/walls/windows at the end.

I use turbo on decking, but I don't use it close to the decking to avoid damage.

Give the area you're planning on pressure washing a good soaking to help avoid blowing dirt up from the flowerbeds.

Use a tennis ball in the lance trigger, saves vibration in your hands especially if your doing larger areas for prolonged periods.

Make sure you check all areas washed for leaving stripes before you pack away the machine and basically hose down flowers/walls/windows at the end.

So do you use turbo on concrete flags, pattern imprinted concrete, block paving, Indian sandstone etc?

Yeah mate anything, just make sure when you fire up the machine the lance is not up close to anything as it can cause a lot of damage i.e. rip through garden fences, and then whatever your washing just take your time and find the best distance not to cause any damage.

I wash windows down, wash brick walls (don't get too close you can cause effervescent) So long as you do it with a good bit of distance from delicate surfaces it causes no issues.

Yeah mate anything, just make sure when you fire up the machine the lance is not up close to anything as it can cause a lot of damage i.e. rip through garden fences, and then whatever your washing just take your time and find the best distance not to cause any damage.

I wash windows down, wash brick walls (don't get too close you can cause effervescent) So long as you do it with a good bit of distance from delicate surfaces it causes no issues.

That's great thanks for your help. 

I see most people using FSC but I just dont have the space for one. You've put my mind at ease .

JasonD - if you're new to it I would go super careful with a Turbo Nozzle they can very easily cause damage - I wouldn't recommend you start out learning on the job by using your turbo nozzle - especially if you're doing domestic work with garden's furniture etc. 

Of course you could try to clean a patio with a toothbrush if you liked ? but IMO you'll need a fsc to do the job sustainably, will be so much quicker hence profitable, superior and consistent finish and way easier for you. As said above overspray is massive with just nozzles compared with a fsc (which is a great selling point custy's often complain about cowboys creating massive overspray everywhere etc) - do the donkey work with a fsc and wash down (everywhere inc wall,shrubs etc etc) with a fan nozzle stood way back, before it dries. I've got my turbo but hardly ever need to break it out .

I know space is tight for you but grippa do a turbodevil (Suttner (mosmatic so good quality)) which you can collapse the handle in half - or would it fit on your roof rack - strapped down?  in footwell/passenger seat? You may just need to swap out a bit of kit for the day to carry the fsc...

Once you've used a fsc you will not choose to clean a patio with just a nozzle - no way!

JasonD - if you're new to it I would go super careful with a Turbo Nozzle they can very easily cause damage - I wouldn't recommend you start out learning on the job by using your turbo nozzle - especially if you're doing domestic work with garden's furniture etc. 

Of course you could try to clean a patio with a toothbrush if you liked ? but IMO you'll need a fsc to do the job sustainably, will be so much quicker hence profitable, superior and consistent finish and way easier for you. As said above overspray is massive with just nozzles compared with a fsc (which is a great selling point custy's often complain about cowboys creating massive overspray everywhere etc) - do the donkey work with a fsc and wash down (everywhere inc wall,shrubs etc etc) with a fan nozzle stood way back, before it dries. I've got my turbo but hardly ever need to break it out .

I know space is tight for you but grippa do a turbodevil (Suttner (mosmatic so good quality)) which you can collapse the handle in half - or would it fit on your roof rack - strapped down?  in footwell/passenger seat? You may just need to swap out a bit of kit for the day to carry the fsc...

Once you've used a fsc you will not choose to clean a patio with just a nozzle - no way!

What are FSC's like at getting moss out from between the cracks of block paving?

What are FSC's like at getting moss out from between the cracks of block paving?

Hi Wezza - excellent - you may need to roll back and forth over the area a few times (~1m at a time) - but go slow and steady and flood it with water and the water 'lifts' it out - I do lots of block paving and never need to use a nozzle/turbo on them. Walk the area once you used the fsc and with a wolf scraper https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolf-Garten-FBM-Multi-Change-Weeding-Cleaning/dp/B001KZH8RC on the long pole they do (so you don't need to bend down) you simply rake out any stubborn pieces of most or weeds. Whenever I've used the gun nozzle on awkward areas I find I'm hunched over (I'm 6ft) to get the nozzle close to the ground - it's uncomfortable and couldn't do that for more than a few mins...a fsc all dall long ?

I often finish jobs custy's start with a domestic fsc/gun and give up 'cos it's too much effort

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi Wezza - excellent - you may need to roll back and forth over the area a few times (~1m at a time) - but go slow and steady and flood it with water and the water 'lifts' it out - I do lots of block paving and never need to use a nozzle/turbo on them. Walk the area once you used the fsc and with a wolf scraper https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolf-Garten-FBM-Multi-Change-Weeding-Cleaning/dp/B001KZH8RC on the long pole they do (so you don't need to bend down) you simply rake out any stubborn pieces of most or weeds. Whenever I've used the gun nozzle on awkward areas I find I'm hunched over (I'm 6ft) to get the nozzle close to the ground - it's uncomfortable and couldn't do that for more than a few mins...a fsc all dall long ?

I often finish jobs custy's start with a domestic fsc/gun and give up 'cos it's too much effort

That's great info, thanks. I wasn't sure whether they'd be enough to lift the moss out. Just done a load of block paving and it was a pain in the a** (back) standing over it lancing it out! Planning to upgrade my pressure washer this year for a more powerful model. I use the Clarke Tiger 3000 and, to be fair, it's not a bad machine. Can't imagine that it'd be powerful enough for an FSC though.

it will remove the lot first pass with a decent pressure and high  flow machine we do thousands of sm2 every year .

Thank you. What sort of machine are we talking about, that you're using?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That's great info, thanks. I wasn't sure whether they'd be enough to lift the moss out. Just done a load of block paving and it was a pain in the a** (back) standing over it lancing it out! Planning to upgrade my pressure washer this year for a more powerful model. I use the Clarke Tiger 3000 and, to be fair, it's not a bad machine. Can't imagine that it'd be powerful enough for an FSC though.

Thank you. What sort of machine are we talking about, that you're using?

Briggs and Stratton v twin 21 ltr  per muinit 250 bar awesome machine speak to Ben at Rutland pumps 

DA687C5A-557F-4DDE-A3C5-7936EC125B7A.jpeg

I have the newer version as Pjj who put me on to Ben at Rutland Pumps. Best bit of advice I have had on the site regarding PW. 21lpm and 250bar but it now weights 100kg and has 4 wheels. It cost me £2200 and was worth every penny of it. I bought the £500 fsc with wheels on it but I have only used it once. Its a handy thing to have but one can get by without it, if just starting up. I get all my PW stuff from rutland pumps and wouldn't go anywhere else.

If you're hunched over with your lance it's too short, you need to buy a longer one. Makes life a lot easier. I use a 1.5 meter lance.

I bought the largest one which was 1.5m long. I suppose you could join two together if you were looking for 3 metres. I think the sizes are 700mm, 900mm, 1.2m and 1.5m when I was asking Ben.

Latest Posts

Back