Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Using my Window Cleaning Water Tank for Pressure Washing?

JasonD

Hi all, I have limited space in the back of my truck. I have a 350 litre water tank for window cleaning. Can I use this for Pressure Washing too? I understand I will be putting tap water into the system, but could a rinse out with some pure water and then drain the water tank eliminate any issues with water contamination?

I do not have space for a pressure washer and wheelie bin or water butt etc.....

All lot of pressure washers can tear though that amount of water in less than an hour so it would have to be for quite a small job. Unless you use the tank itself as a butt.

I dont know if I would want to risk flooding the inside of my van though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean to use the water tank as a buffer tank. Here's the back of my truck. Do you think if I remove the reel I could fit a Honda pressure washer there?

20191127_104006.jpg

20191127_104014.jpg

I would be thinking about a bigger van first, maybe a trailer on the odd days your pressure washing.

Technically you could use your tank as a water butt, and there is plenty of powerful little pressure washers the size of that reel. I would fit a ball **** to your tank though if it was me.

A few more on here maybe able to advise better than me on pressure washing.

I'm actually thinking about changing to a 360l wheelie bin rather than the 280l that I have now. Not going to bother fitting an empty tap on the bin because I usually unplug hose when I'm near the end and run till empty. If there is still some in the bin I just empty it out because the tap only seems to get in the way. I will get 20mins of PW from a 360l if I dont have the tap running. You need a big van for PW so you can roll it up the ramps to get it in and out of the van, I have noticed.

I'm actually thinking about changing to a 360l wheelie bin rather than the 280l that I have now. Not going to bother fitting an empty tap on the bin because I usually unplug hose when I'm near the end and run till empty. If there is still some in the bin I just empty it out because the tap only seems to get in the way. I will get 20mins of PW from a 360l if I dont have the tap running. You need a big van for PW so you can roll it up the ramps to get it in and out of the van, I have noticed.

So you think the back of my truck is too small to be doing pressure washing with? I was thinking of using the water tank as a buffer tank....

never thought about using ramps to wheel the pressure washer into the back.....are they that heavy?

So you think the back of my truck is too small to be doing pressure washing with? I was thinking of using the water tank as a buffer tank....

never thought about using ramps to wheel the pressure washer into the back.....are they that heavy?

Mine is around 100kgs but it has 4 wheels. They are like vans, the moment you buy one you wish you had bought a bigger one. The more powerfull the PW then the quicker and easier the job becomes. They go through a lot of water which is okay if you have a good supply.

Mine is around 100kgs but it has 4 wheels. They are like vans, the moment you buy one you wish you had bought a bigger one. The more powerfull the PW then the quicker and easier the job becomes. They go through a lot of water which is okay if you have a good supply.

Jeez 100 KG ! I cant lift that in and out. I wouldn't even want to lift 60 KG in and out. I suppose I could use ramps to wheel it up into the back of the truck ( if it will fit)....

If you are short on space just dont use a van buffer tank. Just use a 100 litre gorrila bucket and just use the customers tap. Just keep an eye on the bucket that the water flow is filling it all the time while you are pressure washing. If the water flow is weak just sweep the mess up while it refills. Always a good idea to test the water flow when you quote so you know what to expect.

If you are short on space just dont use a van buffer tank. Just use a 100 litre gorrila bucket and just use the customers tap. Just keep an eye on the bucket that the water flow is filling it all the time while you are pressure washing. If the water flow is weak just sweep the mess up while it refills. Always a good idea to test the water flow when you quote so you know what to expect.

So if i removed the water tank out of the back of the truck on pressure washing days I should be able to fit a Honda pressure washer in the back along with a 100 litre gorilla bucket, lance, hoses etc?

Do you think thats possible?

There is enough room in there to put a gx200 on a skid permanently or one on a frame.. they don't weigh too much.

The big ones are so big due to the frame etc.

Depends how much you plan to do.

Mine is mounted permanently in my bipper with a tank like yours and backpack etc.

Just positioned it so the exhaust blows out the side door.

There is enough room in there to put a gx200 on a skid permanently or one on a frame.. they don't weigh too much.

The big ones are so big due to the frame etc.

Depends how much you plan to do.

Mine is mounted permanently in my bipper with a tank like yours and backpack etc.

Just positioned it so the exhaust blows out the side door.

sounds like a good idea. Can you provide a link to a website that sells them on a skid? 

Do you clean windows too or just pressure washing?

If you don't mount it permanently, you want to be careful lifting it back into your pick up. It's a lot higher than most vans. A trailer could be handy for you. 

sounds like a good idea. Can you provide a link to a website that sells them on a skid? 

Do you clean windows too or just pressure washing?
I do both plus softwashing etc.

No idea where to get one as mine is a diy jobbie.

Look on ebay or somewhere like ac pressure washers or Rutland pumps.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't mount it permanently, you want to be careful lifting it back into your pick up. It's a lot higher than most vans. A trailer could be handy for you. 

Yes I agree a trailer is my best option but its not practical for were i live. Car parking is a nightmare and adding a trailer to the situation makes it even worse. I don't have a driveway so I to park on the road. I live next to a football stadium and on match days especially, I cannot park my truck outside my home. Trying to find somewhere to park with a trailer is even harder.....

I do both plus softwashing etc.

No idea where to get one as mine is a diy jobbie.

Look on ebay or somewhere like ac pressure washers.

So do you use your water tank for window cleaning, pressure washing and softwashing? 

Yes I agree a trailer is my best option but its not practical for were i live. Car parking is a nightmare and adding a trailer to the situation makes it even worse. I don't have a driveway so I to park on the road. I live next to a football stadium and on match days especially, I cannot park my truck outside my home. Trying to find somewhere to park with a trailer is even harder.....

So do you use your water tank for window cleaning, pressure washing and softwashing? 
I use the tank for pure water to fill the backpack but if I'm doing pressure washing jobs I try to do them on 1 day and use the tank or do it last so I can do the windows first.

It's only a 300l tank so not that bad to waste a bit of pure when doing a job.

You don't actually need to use the tank if customers water flow is ok.. Mine gets used only on a few jobs as most of the time customers tap will do.. unless you are chucking out 21lpm and will definitely need a tank.

Bit of a squeeze with a bipper but it's handy for parking round here.

Will end up changing van next year I think.

I use the tank for pure water to fill the backpack but if I'm doing pressure washing jobs I try to do them on 1 day and use the tank or do it last so I can do the windows first.

It's only a 300l tank so not that bad to waste a bit of pure when doing a job.

You don't actually need to use the tank if customers water flow is ok.. Mine gets used only on a few jobs as most of the time customers tap will do.. unless you are chucking out 21lpm and will definitely need a tank.

Bit of a squeeze with a bipper but it's handy for parking round here.

Will end up changing van next year I think.

The pressure washer I am planning to buy is 21 Lpm so I would need the buffer tank then. Or as THL4KEL mentioned above, I might get away with using  a 100 litre Gorilla bucket as a buffer...

You could use a bucket if you had to. It all comes down to water flow from the tap and making sure whatever your're using does not run out of water as it damages the pump. Ideally a wheelie bin is preferred choice for most, means you don't have to pay as much attention to water flow and you might get a longer runtime before you have to stop and wait to refill.

You could use a bucket if you had to. It all comes down to water flow from the tap and making sure whatever your're using does not run out of water as it damages the pump. Ideally a wheelie bin is preferred choice for most, means you don't have to pay as much attention to water flow and you might get a longer runtime before you have to stop and wait to refill.

Ah I see.....thanks. Water flow is the thing to focus on not the size of the buffer tank. 

Buffer tank is important, makes jobs easier if you can continuously work. You can get pop up water holding tanks. If your short of space maybe something like that will be useful to you. If you get a 21litre machine your looking at around 80kg in weight, you would be better of with a trailer or van. It's too heavy to lift into your Ute. I go the gym have done for years but I wouldn't want to be lifting a pressure washer that far of the ground.

Latest Posts

Back