Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Phantom/Phoenix Pole sizes?

Skxawng

Premium Member
Can't find the info on Facelifts website.

Can anyone tell me what the ID and OD of the section 1 tube on the Phantom and Phoenix are please? Also the ID size of the second pole section?

Thanks

I have no idea what they are, but I do know that people have replaced the clamps on an Gardiners poles with Phantom clamps so their can't be much if any difference in sizing, hopefully this will be of some help

I’ll have a measure later for you if I get back early enough. The section one is quite a bit smaller in diameter than gardiners as a univalve ONLY JUST goes in it. I don’t use mine anymore, although the shim idea on the clamps is a nice idea I find operating the levers really awkward- to the point I was starting to get RSI. Back to gardiners. Curious as to why you want to know the diameter @Skxawng

I’ll have a measure later for you if I get back early enough. The section one is quite a bit smaller in diameter than gardiners as a univalve ONLY JUST goes in it. I don’t use mine anymore, although the shim idea on the clamps is a nice idea I find operating the levers really awkward- to the point I was starting to get RSI. Back to gardiners. Curious as to why you want to know the diameter @Skxawng
Thanks, just exploring alternative connections to fit inside the pole.

What was it about the clamps? I need to replace 3 clamps on my slx pole and was considering trying the phantom ones. May just buy gardiner ones 

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve seen Gardiner poles with the Phantom clamps on eBay. It was something I was going to consider but find the clamps awkward. I can’t put my finger on it exactly, I’ve used it today for a couple of high FSG cleans. I think it’s the adjustment ‘nut’ that’s the issue, you can only tighten in a full half turn - so if you are compensating pole wear a half a turn is too much  - which makes the clamp stiff to operate. The Gardiner ones are just a plain nut with infinite adjustment so you can tweak each one perfectly.  I also find the pole diameter (I have the 25ft) very narrow on the base section, so holding it for a prolonged length of time is harder work. Maybe because I’ve become accustomed to the thicker Gardiner poles. I don’t know?!? Either way it’s still in my van and just comes out for some three storey work and FSG jobs like today. 
@Skxawng measurement on the way!!!!

Sorry I’ve only done section 1 !!!

top is 19mm O/D 16.5mm I/D

bottom is 20mm O/D 17mm I/D

this was with a tape measure though as I can’t find my vernier as I’m between sheds at the moment!!! 
Hope that’s if some help!!

Sorry I’ve only done section 1 !!!

top is 19mm O/D 16.5mm I/D

bottom is 20mm O/D 17mm I/D

this was with a tape measure though as I can’t find my vernier as I’m between sheds at the moment!!! 
Hope that’s if some help!!
Thanks, very helpful. They're a lot smaller! The first section would fit inside the Gardiner first section with room to spare. Why is it tapered? Is that wear or do they come like that?

Thanks, very helpful. They're a lot smaller! The first section would fit inside the Gardiner first section with room to spare. Why is it tapered? Is that wear or do they come like that?
To be fair it might just be my measuring !!! I had to try and stretch the hose out of the way (I have the exceed tubeless kit) while measuring in the dark!!! But yes - the whole pole is quite a lot thinner.

@spruce

Contacted WCW, they need to know the outer diameter of the pole or the internal of the clamp. which I dont have to hand. Kind of thought that they would know which clamp fitted on which section if they are advertising as suitable for Gardiners. Oh well, stick to what I know I reckon, gardiners have been great from the start.

Plus, @AGlassAct isn't the only one I've heard that's not a fan of the clamps. Just fancied trying them myself

@spruce

Contacted WCW, they need to know the outer diameter of the pole or the internal of the clamp. which I dont have to hand. Kind of thought that they would know which clamp fitted on which section if they are advertising as suitable for Gardiners. Oh well, stick to what I know I reckon, gardiners have been great from the start.

Plus, @AGlassAct isn't the only one I've heard that's not a fan of the clamps. Just fancied trying them myself
The outer diamt of each section is listed on the Gardener website

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/water-fed-poles/pole-specifications.html

After some digging, I've found a size guide for the facelift base caps, but they only go down to section 3. 

I thought I could extrapolate the size of the section 1 from it but it seems as though it is not linear as it would work out at an OD of 25mm which is the size of Gardiner's section 2 but everyone says they are smaller. The sections must get considerably thicker walled as they get smaller. 

I can't reconcile the size chart and @AGlassAct's measurement of 17mm ID even with ridiculously thick walls...

Screenshot_20191207-212221.png

For you lads that use them, what makes them so special? They advertise them as superior but looking at the photo I canny tell what’s so special about them. 
As far as the clamps go, the Gardiner ones work so well I don't know why anyone would want to change them. It might be hard to appreciate them though if they've never used some of the early poles with terrible clamps that wear out in months.

Personally the only difference is you don’t have to reglue the clamp if it comes loose. The nut as a glass act has said is a pain. It will randomly loosen on you every other house and when to tight the clamp doesn’t close properly. I’ve also found that mine is wearing quickly but it is a hi mod so maybe they wear quicker 

Back