Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Christmas ‘drink’ tips

Not sure about any of you guys but over the past few years I’ve noticed how Christmas tips have virtually ceased to exist ...

Not that I ever expect them in anyway but I can remember years ago when customers would hand you a £5 or £10 cash tip thanking you for the past years work ...

I think with the advent of BACS & the continuation of the dreaded cheque that cash may be a thing of the past in the next 10 years or so? ...

Ive had customers BACS me a tip which obviously goes against my taxable profits, whilst it’s appreciated none the less I can’t help feel that a cash tip sits better in the wallet!

I always do ok over Xmas for tips. As far as drink goes, I just came in to post this, but thought better to chuck in onto this thread!

image.jpg

Customer I’ve just done is a lawyer for Baileys so I always get one of these over Xmas ?

Usually get a couple of bottles of wine too which is nice!

I always do ok over Xmas for tips. As far as drink goes, I just came in to post this, but thought better to chuck in onto this thread!

View attachment 18507

Customer I’ve just done is a lawyer for Baileys so I always get one of these over Xmas ?

Usually get a couple of bottles of wine too which is nice!
 I like a few glasses of the baileys, goes down well as a kind of semi-chaser ?

Got my first tips today.

Tenner from a 5 quid front (4 windows) and a fiver off a normal house.

Got a customer I always do on xmas eve no matter when last cleaned (£12) who always gives me £20 tip and 2 bottles of wine (1 red 1 white) as she says she doesn't know what I drink.. never have told her lol.

Only a mile or so from home so always go out my way to do it even if I'm not working. 

Yeah it’s nice! I’m not a big drinker at all, but a little bit of this over crushed ice is superb ?
My missus doesn't drink but will always drink baileys over xmas

Most of my customers still pay cash so I usually do quite well for tips tbh. I save every pound or note in a jar until I break up which usually equates to at least 3 days money. I see it as holiday pay & give it the enemy for the weeks house keeping & have a bit left for a few scoops lol

I seem to do well for tips. I work in affluent areas so my tips are generally anywhere between ten and thirty pounds.

I have a customer (bit shifty, gangster type bloke) who has given me a fifty pound note for as far back as I can remember.

I keep a note on how much I get, and because I get round roughly every 6-7 weeks, my tips started a couple of weeks back.

On to £75 so far and a bottle of white wine ?

I seem to do well for tips. I work in affluent areas so my tips are generally anywhere between ten and thirty pounds.

I have a customer (bit shifty, gangster type bloke) who has given me a fifty pound note for as far back as I can remember.

I keep a note on how much I get, and because I get round roughly every 6-7 weeks, my tips started a couple of weeks back.

Those fiftys could be from some old job back in the day lol. My old man in walthamstowe used to be pally with one of the old school gangster types, mick the greek. Was round dads local, the queens arms years ago and he was buying loads rounds. Little fella, reminded me of danny de vito. Wouldnt've told him that mind ?

the only fifties I get are pence pieces ?

Haven't done that well on tips for a couple of years now, but then we rarely see most of our customers. Always get one or two bottles of wine but I don't drink the stuff. ?

I’m on £93.50 so far, I make a mental note of who gives what and next time I will clean the garage door (or something similar for them)  I got about £220 last year plus a couple of bottles. Sadly I’ve lost a elderly customer who gave me £35 for her £15 clean for the past 3 Xmas’ Bless her. 

I’ve been cleaning a retirement home Park this week, some of them are very generous. Got £20 tip from one where their windows are only £10!! I always stress I don’t expect any tips, but they’re always insistent! Very kind.

I am naturally a tipper myself, I get the same curry from the same curry house, get it 1-2 times a month, every month for the last 2+ years. I always give the same driver a £1 tip. He’s a sound bloke.

Tbh the tips help claw back ever so slightly some of the money lost due to some of the heavy rain we’ve had. 

I still tip my dustmen and post man and clean my own windows so never tip myself even though I am a lovely man and do a great job!!!!.Although I do agree the days of xmas tips seem to be getting to be a thing of the past, especially with the "younger" generation.

I have a window cleaner (yes I know) that I tip. He’s one of spruces boys (South African).

He does a great job cheaper than I would charge, and there’s no way on earth I’d use any of my weekend doing my own windows.

Pub time, have a great weekend fellow windies ?

I have a window cleaner (yes I know) that I tip. He’s one of spruces boys (South African).

He does a great job cheaper than I would charge, and there’s no way on earth I’d use any of my weekend doing my own windows.

I do my own 2 or 3 times a year. The annual pre xmas clean is due soon lol. 

hmm, christmas drink tips,

dont drink and drive, you'll spill it.

never take longer than half hour per pint or it tastes naff.

Thats all I can think of just now, prob remember more later.

Doing well on tips so far. One of my favourite customers gave me (yesterday) a box of M and S biscuits, M and S Chocs and a massive bottle of Smirnoff. Looked like a right greedy b*****d lugging all of that back to the van!

Never get as much as when I used to be on the post office but have done well for tips the last few years.

Just got a 1.5l bottle of hendricks gin from a 38 quid a month customer.

That would be from costco and cost about 40 quid.

Gonna enjoy that as she knows I love my gin.

Things like that make you feel appreciated. 

Peanuts to them though as they own about 5 seperate companies and have land rover svr and a race spec beemer on the drive.

Same here lol. We got a windy too.. every 6 weeks, they've offered to drop us but i've refused on the grounds that i'll get nagged every few days to clean the bloody things. I just can't be bothered! Oh and our windy says the same thing - can't be bothered with theirs too lol. Oddly they clean a couple of other windy cleaners windows.. one employs windys too lol. Funny old game ain't it, all sorts of silly (important) nonsense going on between windys lol.

On the tips note, nothing so far! Only been out a few times this week, nothing yet! Todays was out, left an invoice - normally won't have me there unless they're in so i figured that being asked to leave an invoice was a dodge tactic.. I don't mind though - they're always really nice to talk to which more than makes up for it!

Only other one who ever tips me hinted last time he doesn't want me for xmas so i've come to accept that i'm gonna be at a loss and tips will be minimal. Ah well, i'm still lucky, i work for myself and do what i like without a fire breathing ****er for a boss lol so that makes up for it along with earning a bit of money to compliment my weekend job - while still keeping the missus sweet about my working hours and school runs.

Same here lol. We got a windy too.. every 6 weeks, they've offered to drop us but i've refused on the grounds that i'll get nagged every few days to clean the bloody things. I just can't be bothered! Oh and our windy says the same thing - can't be bothered with theirs too lol. Oddly they clean a couple of other windy cleaners windows.. one employs windys too lol. Funny old game ain't it, all sorts of silly (important) nonsense going on between windys lol.

On the tips note, nothing so far! Only been out a few times this week, nothing yet! Todays was out, left an invoice - normally won't have me there unless they're in so i figured that being asked to leave an invoice was a dodge tactic.. I don't mind though - they're always really nice to talk to which more than makes up for it!

Only other one who ever tips me hinted last time he doesn't want me for xmas so i've come to accept that i'm gonna be at a loss and tips will be minimal. Ah well, i'm still lucky, i work for myself and do what i like without a fire breathing ****er for a boss lol so that makes up for it along with earning a bit of money to compliment my weekend job - while still keeping the missus sweet about my working hours and school runs.

Write "Merry Xmas" on the invoices that you put through the door, if they're out. You'll be surprised at how many chuck a little extra on your BACS payment ?

Back