Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Two degrees today coldest people have gone out?!

Grant1793

2 degrees this morning, probably the coldest start for me as a starter! 

what’s the coldest people have gone out window cleaning?! Also as a trad man cold or hot water in the bucket? 

thanks 

I've worked a few degrees below zero. Ive seen it as low as -10 here is Scotland. Which was a day off. Today though we are getting 5-6 degrees.

Soapy water and antifreeze in the water when it gets so low it starts to freeze on the glass. I start the day off with warm water. But it doesnt stay warm for long when its really cold.

Lowest I work is 0c so I'm still at home waiting it out, suns coming slowly and the ice is going, again slowly! Gloves and thermals are set so I'm ready for the day.

Had to put my poles in the bath with warm water this morning as the univalves had frozen. Water in the van and back pack now worries, water in the hose no worries just seems the valves are susceptible to cold more so than anything else.  

Lowest I work is 0c so I'm still at home waiting it out, suns coming slowly and the ice is going, again slowly! Gloves and thermals are set so I'm ready for the day.

Had to put my poles in the bath with warm water this morning as the univalves had frozen. Water in the van and back pack now worries, water in the hose no worries just seems the valves are susceptible to cold more so than anything else.  
Indeed I’m doing the same thing waiting it out till 10 got a mixture of bungalows and houses today but being trad on that ladder on my own some angles will tricky as it’s cold and wet. Might bang out my unger aluminium pole to reach a few of the tops today for safety!!

I’m having a paperwork day. It dropped to -4 here last night. I put all the tanks and hoses in the garage friday as i could see it coming. Good decision, would have frozen up in the van. By the time i load up id probably have lost an hour or so on the day and no reminder texts have been sent out so will be back working tomorrow and wednesday. Ive gone out before and either had ice on flat roofs, conny roofs and patios turning to sheet ice or water freezing to the glass so i dont see the point wasting my time & effort anymore. 

We don’t generally get to many frosty mornings down hear it’s -2 at the moment we are hot water fed pole and thanks no problem, just got to watch it doesn’t cause a slip hazard on the ground , when I was trad I would work when it was freezing but found it froze on the windows Evan using warm water , generally tried to do stuff that was in the sun until it warmed up a bit 

I'm out now in -1

Worked all day in 2011 when it was -13 overnight and I was helping a mate out driving a grit lorry overnight and tradding all day as wasn't wfp back then.

Used trad pole when possible to avpid ladders and got the day done.

Didn't get over about -4 all day.

Ipa in the trad bucket helped.

Working all day today but tradding bottoms when I can to avoid so much water on the ground.

I never lose more than about 4 days a year due to weather and that's usually when it's hammering with rain.

Working all day today but tradding bottoms when I can to avoid so much water on the ground.

Thats what gets me about WFP is the sheer amount of water left laying about. I did a shop a while back and noticed a trad cleaner going round - didn't leave a drop anywhere as he'd scrape all his water back off onto his applicator / T bar at the bottom lol. There was me.. water all over the place.. .must admit I did find myself feeling a bit stupid lol.

** UPDATE **

Finished - well I say finish two left over that I will have to catch up with tomorrow!

I ended up doing the Inside of a house today that threw over The time massively! 

Weather massively improved from 9am at around 6 degrees so all in all a good working day!

how about you guys? Did your day go to plan!

I started a bit later than planned, just after 10, as it was that cold that water could freeze up on the glass. By 10 it had warmed up enough to go out. What gets me this time of year is having to start late some days, then knocking off early as running out of daylight, especially on an overcast day.

So easy to fall behind this time of year as, as well as the weather and shorter days, I seem to get a lot of add-ons such as gutter cleans. The increase in rain fall brings problems to peoples attention.

All good today - did the local fast food restaurant at 5.45am. Was -1 degree but had the oil filled radiator on in the van overnight. Then came home for brekkie, then back out at 8am. It had gone up to a toasty 1 degree lol. Had to even put a beanie hat on today! 

Jumper off at about 12, as it was up to 6 degrees ?

So here's the thing...WHAT'S THAT ALL  ABOUT WITH POSTIES - always in shorts...there's me first job of the day *ahem* 10:30 chatting with custy, cup of tea in hand, extra warm thermal socks, base layer (aka long johns), winter lined trousers, thermal base layer top, polo shirt, thermal fleece zip top, light showerproof jacket, winter waterproof gloves...up the drive walks postie  'morning lads' - in SHORTS ? Same last year, I reckon 50% work in shorts all year round...I put it down to them jumping back in the van every few minutes - that's my story and I'm sticking to it

So here's the thing...WHAT'S THAT ALL  ABOUT WITH POSTIES - always in shorts...there's me first job of the day *ahem* 10:30 chatting with custy, cup of tea in hand, extra warm thermal socks, base layer (aka long johns), winter lined trousers, thermal base layer top, polo shirt, thermal fleece zip top, light showerproof jacket, winter waterproof gloves...up the drive walks postie  'morning lads' - in SHORTS ? Same last year, I reckon 50% work in shorts all year round...I put it down to them jumping back in the van every few minutes - that's my story and I'm sticking to it
I was going to be a postman but was told I’d be no good at it.

Oops, posted this in the wrong place ?

I wear shorts quite a lot in winter.. had them on on Friday.

And yes I have been a postman?

Gonna get up to 6 tomorrow so will have them on in morning. 

The only reason I don't wear them when it's too cold/wet is they will look stupid with my army boots on to keep my feet dry.?

Shorts are healthier too. Less chance of testicular cancer as you're keeping the jewels cool. Cells need more oxygen the warmer they get and if there's no extra oxygen they can start to malfunction and in some cases become cancerous. The cooler cells become the less oxygen they need.

As you may appreciate, regular cyclists are at high risk of testicular cancer. My partner is a nurse and has seen several cases of it.

Shorts are healthier too. Less chance of testicular cancer as you're keeping the jewels cool. Cells need more oxygen the warmer they get and if there's no extra oxygen they can start to malfunction and in some cases become cancerous. The cooler cells become the less oxygen they need.
I spent years literally sweating my boll0cks off working in a Foundry, better get the Wife checking for lumps then. Then again might be better to get a Nurse to do it ?

Latest Posts

Back