Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

window cleaning scraper

WCF

Help Support WCF:

johnny bravo

been asked to clean a shop front window , by a friend for her son,    said ok,   before I looked, fool me, 2 large windows covered by  Fly Posting cellotape everywhere.      Went this morning  , cleaned all dust and **** off windows first WFP, then away I go,  scraping    . scraping  for ever it seemed to get a bit off,   its too much I thought,   They thought it will take about an hour at the least,    took an age to get a small area cleaned off..     Enough is enough I thought,   you are looking at around £50/£60   to remove,     it would take around 3/4 hours..     a few Quid in there eyes doing it for a friend..     Scrapers play a big part also, atm I use  one of these scrapers .   feel the ache in fingers after continuous use.     Need something with a handle, any one use a better one, not outing pressure on fingers  if using for long period,     im looking around myself now. 

Ettore%20Scrapemaster%20Replacement%20Blades__54986.1434487096.JPG

Unger%20Trim%20Scraper__88650.1434485944.JPG
This is my everyday scraper

Are there Solvents  recommended which have been used  to help with lots of Tape on glass to remove easily  rather than scraping every bit.

I think the Landlord should have had this removed before  Letting the Premises

WD40 disolves glue which can be left behind by tape, I had some clear vynil applied to the tailgate of my L200, but it had to be removed before I handed it back to the lease company, it left behind some stubborn adhesive the WD40 worked a treat let it soak for 30 seconds or so then use a cloth and rub the glass, then just hot soapy water to wash away the wd40 off the glass. 

I had some citrus based tar and glue remover, which was strong stuff, but it wouldn't shift the adhesive left behind, you could also see how you get on with using a magic sponge, just trying to recommend what you can go and get your hands on easily 

Last edited by a moderator:
yes seen wd40 on youtube,     these windows have to be seen to realise how much time will be taken up.    People think you wont charge much just for scraping some tape off,   but it is time consuming ,    you can be making £30 / £50 per hour , they will expect you to charge them a Tenner or similar.   

Seen this scraper on wintecs with handle, more comfortable to use for long periods of time for jobs like this unger  ergo tec glass scraper  10 inch  wintecs

Unger%20ErgoTec%20Glass%20Scraper%2010cm__58850.1434487351.jpg

image.png

this is a small section, theres about 10  the same

I think they were expecting to give  me a Fiver or  around that

Tape over Tape  all from Fly Posters

yes seen wd40 on youtube,     these windows have to be seen to realise how much time will be taken up.    People think you wont charge much just for scraping some tape off,   but it is time consuming ,    you can be making £30 / £50 per hour , they will expect you to charge them a Tenner or similar.   

Seen this scraper on wintecs with handle, more comfortable to use for long periods of time for jobs like this unger  ergo tec glass scraper  10 inch  wintecs

Unger%20ErgoTec%20Glass%20Scraper%2010cm__58850.1434487351.jpg
Yes , that's the one I use, its good. Someone told me a long time ago now, whenever you scrape you always use lube. No lube no scrape. I generally use soapy water and keep applying over and over . Re solvents, agree with the other chaps that have already mentioned WD and T&G remover.

I have tried many scrapers, and the unger ninja is the best I've had so far. Stainless steel blades and the ability to tilt the handle, as well as the brilliant hip holster for easy safe access is good points.

I remove glue residue regularly and find the best method is soaking the area with soapy water before scraping with a new blade. Then spray the entire glass with a glue remover (tec7 have a good one), let it soak but scrape before it dries. Then soapy water, squeegee and rinse repeat to remove the spots you missed.

I often end up cleaning the window 4-5 times so be sure to charge accordingly.

Eco do this stuff Eco Degreaser (toolstation sell it)  - it's eco friendly, no nasties, spray on leave for a few mins - use a scraper (I use a unger retractable) - and it 'melts' it and lifts off lovely ?

I used it on a power station control centre to remove what was left after I'd removed from 30+ windows a stuck on anti glare film on the inside - they had literally been their since the 60's glue came off a treat...  

That's at least a £50 job as you're, effectively, restoring their window for them.  

If they think the price is too high, get them to go and get a quote for a new piece of glass from a glazing company. They'll be straight onto you lol

I use scrapers from Wilko,s, just a quid or two and does the job. After all you do not need a scraper often and fits into a pouch pocket and no need for a special holster etc.

Had a good one today that I thought the scraper would work a treat. Bottom of a patio door was all speckled brown in colour. Got scraper out and attempted to attack the top of where it begun. What a noise I made, it was like scraping sand paper. Then i took a look about the place to see what had made the mess. There was a metal safe like thing that had the door grinded off. All the sparks must have landed on the glass unit of the patio door. The metal sparks had welded themselfs to the glass because they were red hot. I told his wife that a new unit was the order of the day and with a shake of the head in she went.

Had a good one today that I thought the scraper would work a treat. Bottom of a patio door was all speckled brown in colour. Got scraper out and attempted to attack the top of where it begun. What a noise I made, it was like scraping sand paper. Then i took a look about the place to see what had made the mess. There was a metal safe like thing that had the door grinded off. All the sparks must have landed on the glass unit of the patio door. The metal sparks had welded themselfs to the glass because they were red hot. I told his wife that a new unit was the order of the day and with a shake of the head in she went.

They end up burning the glass. There are a few of my customers that this has happened too. One of them got the firm to come back and replace the glass that they'd ruined from all of the angle grinding.

Got a window pane on a customers house identical to that.

as already been said...you want to buy an unger NINJA scraper,far superior to any other scraper and the blades dont rust!also use "sticky stuff remover" from b and q or some other solvent type cleaner for jobs like these....

Latest Posts

Back