Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Google my business question

Perryb91

Anyone tech savvy on here know why overnight I have plummeted to the bottom of the list!? 

I lack domain authority as theres people with only a phone number that make the top 3 ? but I have reviews etc etc confirmed my address all the basic stuff but I was doing ok climbing the list until i checked this morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think anyone really knows how googles algorythms work. For me only adds are above me on google, which I put down to the lack of online presence from my competitors, and the fact that my customers visit my website to pay there bill, getting me clicks.

It helps to use key words like window cleaning and the name of your business and area multiple times on your site. It also pays to update your site regularly which is something I fail to do. It's all voodoo really.

On every page of website , what space I have left is covered in keywords ,  only noticeable if you drag the pointer over it to highlight it, 

I really dont know if it makes any difference, 

God knows, sure it will sort its self out eventually just very annoying I get out ranked by people with only a mobile number ?

If you are talking the google my business listing itself then its likely google is shuffling things and thier isnt much you can do. If its your site ranking in google then there is a lot more a play. There is rumours an algorythm update happened a day or two ago. I would just keen a eye for a couple of days and see what happens first. Rankings are always fluctuating all the time. Its when you have big drops you need to worry. 

You need not to just rely on a Google listing, having a FB page also moving forward even a basic website, having these all working together posting on a regular basis mentioning a specific town name or names of the areas you cover, also free listings anywhere all need to have the same info opening hours etc, my fb url is town-name/windowcleaner  I also have a secondry domain name which is town-name/windowcleaner.uk so in the town were most of my work is I use this town name 

I am in the same unique position as @laddergarder so I am top of the first on Google along with another hits on page 1 although I have had site for over 10 years so I do have a historical standing which also helps with ranking, if you are in a large town or city with number of competitor's all with sites then, no doubt you will have to work harder to up and maintain your ranking 

Anyone tech savvy on here know why overnight I have plummeted to the bottom of the list!? 

I lack domain authority as theres people with only a phone number that make the top 3 ? but I have reviews etc etc confirmed my address all the basic stuff but I was doing ok climbing the list until i checked this morning.
Perry the main factor on google my biz is location, even more so than review quality. 

If you search for window cleaners in areas you cover, you'll notice your position changes per town you search under and also how close you are to the area you search for. If you search in a different location itll change too. 

To get a head start on others though..

1) Get reviews that actually mention keywords ie Perry done our window cleaning in (town name) great job etc..this shows relevance and will help your position over time

2) Add the text button option to your listing

3) Make a few posts on your Google page and link them to your website

4) Add more photos but save them to your desktop first and name them ie window cleaning (town name) one, (town name) window cleaner the other etc.. this helps google understand what your trying to aim for. More important for a website but handy here too

5) Review quantity. You want 10 at least and to get them text customers the link to your page or email them

6) citations. Make sure the same address, phone no, company name (N/A/P) is added to as many quality citations as possible..think Yell Yelp bark (there are loads so look them up) 

7) Local citations. Search your town or city for business listings or more likely the type of sites that allow you to add your company details (local council tradesmen website/chamber of commerce etc) This shows local relevance. 

Best of luck. Chris

I rank well on google biz with no website.

But I do have a fb business page that I post on regularly with good reviews on both and freeindex etc.

No one round here is on google biz though so that helps.

I rank well on google biz with no website.

But I do have a fb business page that I post on regularly with good reviews on both and freeindex etc.

No one round here is on google biz though so that helps.
Exactly mate=location. You have no competition lol. 

I am from the same area as dave b a quick count on google my business listed around 80 window cleaners listed in my area.

The listing in the box under maps are forever changing one week i'm in the next i'm not.Google is rotating them.

My site is well established(over 10 years)has a ssl cert,regular updates and I'm still struggling to rank high organically.When a few years back I was consistently in the top 1- 3 of maps and organic listings

competition is fierce where I am.

I am from the same area as dave b a quick count on google my business listed around 80 window cleaners listed in my area.

The listing in the box under maps are forever changing one week i'm in the next i'm not.Google is rotating them.

My site is well established(over 10 years)has a ssl cert,regular updates and I'm still struggling to rank high organically.When a few years back I was consistently in the top 1- 3 of maps and organic listings

competition is fierce where I am.
But the ones at the top in stevenage (if I'm right?) two have loads of reviews and the other is a direct play on the name plus service "window cleaners stevenage" so no wonder it does well. You've just got a few reviews on google biz cgh yeah? 

You are just outside 3 pack when I search for that area plus service. If you check this at one end of that area and then the other your results will be different. 

Our listings up here haven't changed much at all.

But the ones at the top in stevenage (if I'm right?) two have loads of reviews and the other is a direct play on the name plus service "window cleaners stevenage" so no wonder it does well. You've just got a few reviews on google biz cgh yeah? 

You are just outside 3 pack when I search for that area plus service. If you check this at one end of that area and then the other your results will be different. 

Our listings up here haven't changed much at all.
 You are right I have a lot less than most as I'm full commercial so getting clients to leave a review is almost impossible.

A lot of the ones above me have some very suspect reviews.

I had one leave me a negative 1 star review last month saying"i never showed up to quote his house" I managed to report it and get it removed.I also replied saying I don't even take on residential.The person who had left the negative review had also left a glowing 5 star for another window cleaner in the same day.

You wonder how genuine some of the reviews actually are.I think Google are taking reviews as a big ranking priority now.

Thanks for all your input chaps! I'll monitor it over the coming weeks and see what happens. It's all just mad confusing with how they do work it out. 

1. What you need is citations(business name, phone number and address) of your business website on other websites that will link back to you. You could use services for that like Whitespark that will get you some citations.

2. Get your name, address and phone number in footer on your page that you are trying to rank in maps.

3. Generally speaking you website will do better in maps if your website already ranking high in organic search results for that keyword

I hope this will help

This is golden for anyone wanting more info on Google my biz and an its upto date watch too. Citations get a big mention. 

Did you search using a private browsing? results get cached and give false data on your ranking. Have you det up a Google website and backlinked to you main website?

Latest Posts

Back