Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cleaning epdm roof

Aqua

Hi I want really sure where to post this. 

One of my regular window cleaning customers has a large flat roofed area going round 3 sides of his house with railings. Like a huge balcony. 

The roof is covered in epdm membrane and due to building works has got really dusty. He's asked me if I would clean it and all the railings. 

I have no experience with this at all and don't know whether to take it on. Can I jetwash this or could this damage it? 

Any advice much appreciated. 

The manufacturers say it must be cleaned regularly to keep the 50 year warranty , talking to Darran at purple rhino  he said that the manufacturer recommends softwashing  it to kill and remove bacteria and biological dirt . Most supermarket roofs are made of this stuff and in the very near future cleaning it will become a very lucrative job as very few are trained how to do it . I wouldn’t want to use a pressure washer on it but wfp or brush with water or mild chemical will be fine obviously rinse well and go careful walking on it when wet as it can be slippery 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice pjj I would like to take the job on but I often get a bit worried when it's something I've not done before. 

Sounds quite straightforward tho. 

I am starting to re-think dabbling in soft washing even doing small stuff, I have 2 jobs with epdm roofs that have red algae on them because of standing water, even one that has only been on just over a year, certainly seeing more green about as well with all the rain we had this year 

I have a a few of them on my round but mostly grp roofs here.

Not cleaned epdm but grp is easy.

They get really slippy with green and guaranteed to have a lightbox in them that needs cleaning so softwashing them makes it safer for me and I get paid for it.. win win situation. 

I am starting to re-think dabbling in soft washing even doing small stuff, I have 2 jobs with epdm roofs that have red algae on them because of standing water, even one that has only been on just over a year, certainly seeing more green about as well with all the rain we had this year 
Definitely seems to be a lot more green walls and patios this year. 

Done a couple of rendered house cleans this autumn which were disgusting. 

I have a a few of them on my round but mostly grp roofs here.

Not cleaned epdm but grp is easy.

They get really slippy with green and guaranteed to have a lightbox in them that needs cleaning so softwashing them makes it safer for me and I get paid for it.. win win situation. 

Definitely seems to be a lot more green walls and patios this year. 

Done a couple of rendered house cleans this autumn which were disgusting. 
No doubt it's the same all over mate, also quite a few white rendered houses been built it last 20 years and still more been built with a light coloured render, so plenty of work to go at and no one local doing soft washing 

Back