Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Buying an Electric Reel

wezza13

Right, I'm off for a week and a half (from Xmas Eve) and will purchase an electric hosereel. Will be hoping that they're reduced in the Boxing day sales.

So far, it seems that I'm leaning towards the Pure Freedom Reelmaster. Seen one in action, via a local windy, and I'm impressed with them.

However, I'm open to suggestions for others. Any reasons to buy, or not to buy, are welcome.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Cheers,

Wez

Avoid pure freedom at all cost read my experience from old posts they delivered two reels both wrong and both faulty sent them back , I niw have 6  waterworks hd power up absolutely brilliant , cannot recommend them enough far better than pure freedom 

Avoid pure freedom at all cost read my experience from old posts they delivered two reels both wrong and both faulty sent them back , I niw have 6  waterworks hd power up absolutely brilliant , cannot recommend them enough far better than pure freedom 

Glad that you recommend the Waterworks ones and that you're very happy with them. Will look into those ?

Although, I do order lots of stuff from Pure Freedom and I've never had a problem with them. If I do end up buying from them, I'll make sure to get them to double check the reel before it's sent out.

My thoughts on both reels.

Purefreedom is better engineered and built very well. The later reels have an access panel so you can get at the chain easier if needed. The reel is nice to use but could be improved. Things I don't like is the soft start because it just feels slow to get reeling in compared to the Waterworks HD reel. The coiled lead going to the power button is a pain because it's not long enough. Also it would be nice to choose which position you would want the control panel, on the left or on the right. The control panel also gets wet all the time from dripping poles in the pole tubes. Also for some strange reason you have to specify if you use hot water or not. If you do they need to fit metal sides to reinforce the reel which costs extra. Why not just build all the reels up to accept hot??

The Waterworks HD reel is cheaper and not as well engineering but it does it's job in a no fuss fashion. I like the fact that it is quick to use because it has no soft start and it's quick. Chains do come off every now agin but they are easy to put back on. The reel is narrow in width so doesn't take up much room. The reel can take hot water as standard with no upgrades needed. I like the simplicity of it.

Purefreedom is better engineered and built very well. The later reels have an access panel so you can get at the chain easier if needed. The reel is nice to use but could be improved. Things I don't like is the soft start because it just feels slow to get reeling in compared to the Waterworks HD reel. The coiled lead going to the power button is a pain because it's not long enough. Also it would be nice to choose which position you would want the control panel, on the left or on the right. The control panel also gets wet all the time from dripping poles in the pole tubes. Also for some strange reason you have to specify if you use hot water or not. If you do they need to fit metal sides to reinforce the reel which costs extra. Why not just build all the reels up to accept hot??

The Waterworks HD reel is cheaper and not as well engineering but it does it's job in a no fuss fashion. I like the fact that it is quick to use because it has no soft start and it's quick. Chains do come off every now agin but they are easy to put back on. The reel is narrow in width so doesn't take up much room. The reel can take hot water as standard with no upgrades needed. I like the simplicity of it.
I totally agree a very balanced review ?

I have used the hd power up for over three years runs perfect ? changed the chain once a couple of months ago As it started to stretch, new chain £3.99 off eBay these reels are proven workhorse ?

if it was me i'd very much go for the waterworks reel, had mine for maybe five years now and not one hiccup apart from once the chain came off, once the motor was moved back and adjusted its fine, I did once look at the pure freedom one at a show and quickly got the hose to snag over the edge of the reel, andy's  face was a picture even though he said that it couldn't happen???????????

I have used pure freedom stuff in the past and find it suits those who want something basic/that won't break but just does the job 

in our line of work we need reliability and ease of use- the quicker we can work allows us for more profitability so it makes sense to opt for whatever earns us more money, it really boils down to that in the real world.

i'll admit I've not seen a grippa reel in use but from many private messages here and on social media I think they are a no go, pure freedom seem to do ok but waterworks have sold so so many reels and I very rarely see any problems with these posted on forums or social media.

just go with your gut feelings mate.

Regarding the waterwork reel, has everyone got 100m hose on, as I find it rubs of the motor,thinking of taking about 15m off. I like the reel, but do have issues reeling it in, get loose parts of hose that, even when I try n keep hose tight going onto reel.

hose knocked chain of once took it to a bike place to put on for me, used an old bike spoke with hook at end, to pull it up into place n gave me the spoke in case it happens again

Regarding the waterwork reel, has everyone got 100m hose on, as I find it rubs of the motor,thinking of taking about 15m off. I like the reel, but do have issues reeling it in, get loose parts of hose that, even when I try n keep hose tight going onto reel.
Windowsurfer, I am guessing that you have the thicker minibore reel hose. I'm using 100m of 6mm ID microbore and there is loads of space left on the reel when its all wound in. In fact I changed over from the thicker minibore for this very reason.?

hose knocked chain of once took it to a bike place to put on for me, used an old bike spoke with hook at end, to pull it up into place n gave me the spoke in case it happens again

I have 100 m of hydro heat microbore on mine + 35 m of pole hose ,that’s thicker than the yellow  no problem at all , I could get evan more on it I layered it better 

https://youtu.be/yM4QriAg6I8 

Wezza13, I had the above issue (Hit The Link) after about a year with my HD reel, the rubber o rings wear out, at least they did on mine fairly quickly. After replacing the o rings several times, the brass inlet knuckle wore down rapid and the leak got crazy. I finally got through to Waterworks and purchased another brass knuckle. I did try to source my own rubber o rings but it was a nightmare to find the exact ones even after using a digital measuring caliper. However all said and done, I would buy another one. 

Isnt it funny how the things you're not keen on doesn't bother me in the slightest about my PF reel or are just not applicable. 

Soft start - doesn't bother me one bit, why would it I don't undertstand how it can but that's just me lol.

Lead not long enough - mines perfect as I'm right beside it when I'm reeling in anyways I've NEVER once thought it was too short. 

Getting wet - doesn't apply to me as my brush is over the other side on a rack

Specify hot or cold - I never had to do that?

I'm just pointing out to the OP that you can potentially put people off from buying, imo, a great electric reel. None of your points above apply to me but your post could of swayed me away from it had I not of already owned one. I LOVE mine and if it broke tomorrow I would instantly replace it.

same with mine. Sometimes if it isn’t evenly on it shaves the hose slightly. Seem sort of feeling when you go over uneven ground and you hear your van scrubbing ???

Windowsurfer, I am guessing that you have the thicker minibore reel hose. I'm using 100m of 6mm ID microbore and there is loads of space left on the reel when its all wound in. In fact I changed over from the thicker minibore for this very reason.?
Im sure i have the thinner hose on

I have 100 m of hydro heat microbore on mine + 35 m of pole hose ,that’s thicker than the yellow  no problem at all , I could get evan more on it I layered it better 
Who does hydro heat hose, as i have 2kw heater n water around the 40 temp mark n using cold water hose i have about 60 ft pole hose,than i spool on left hand of reel as not enough space on motor side

I have 100m 6mm and also approx 20m of pole hose also. 

This is my reel with 100m of microbore. Loads of space.

100m microbore.jpg

Im sure i have the thinner hose on

Who does hydro heat hose, as i have 2kw heater n water around the 40 temp mark n using cold water hose i have about 60 ft pole hose,than i spool on left hand of reel as not enough space on motor side

Grippatank do it but yellow microbore will be more more than enough with those temperatures, I evan use it with temps up to 65 degrees it’s dies go a bit soft but still ok 

https://youtu.be/yM4QriAg6I8 

Wezza13, I had the above issue (Hit The Link) after about a year with my HD reel, the rubber o rings wear out, at least they did on mine fairly quickly. After replacing the o rings several times, the brass inlet knuckle wore down rapid and the leak got crazy. I finally got through to Waterworks and purchased another brass knuckle. I did try to source my own rubber o rings but it was a nightmare to find the exact ones even after using a digital measuring caliper. However all said and done, I would buy another one. 

Those knuckle things they use arnt the best but are cheap at £15 a go 

Hi Pjj, where did you get your Hydro heat microbore hose from? Might be my next investment.

Oliver at Grippatank 

Back