Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New van can't decide please help

David Graham

Hi I need some advice please.

I can't decide which van to buy it's either out of the Citroen dispatch, Peugeot expert or Vivaro, looking at 2010 plate. 

The 1200 payload models would be fine so just need advice on which is best for economy and reliablity? 

Thanks in advance. 

I can't decide which van to buy it's either out of the Citroen dispatch, Peugeot expert or Vivaro, looking at 2010 plate. 

The 1200 payload models would be fine so just need advice on which is best for economy and reliablity? 

Thanks in advance. 

https://www.whatvan.co.uk/buyers-guide/buying-a-used/buying-a-usedvauxhall-vivaro

https://vans.honestjohn.co.uk/van-reviews/citroen/dispatch-2007/

My personal opinion is that the best engine in the Dispatch/Expert is the 2.0hdi as they are generally bullet proof. You could also look at the Proace which is the Toyota equivalent of the same van. If memory serves me, the Toyota Proace was only available in 2.0 to begin with. It was only later on that they took on the 1.6hdi.

When looking for a vehicle check out its MOT history. You can soon see if its been cared for when you look at a fail including advisories. If the items the vehicle has failed on are rectified, but the advisories aren't then that might tell you something about how the previous owner has treated his van.

Look for similar things in the PAS vehicles as you would the Vivaro/Trafic.

I would always get an RAC report on the van you eventually settle on. They will find stuff you never thought about looking at.  Stupid things like spare wheel, jack and wheel spanner are easily overlooked.

Do stay away from high milers.

My experience:

I bought a 2012 plate Peugeot Boxer with 89k on the clock. No advisories on any MOT. Van was well cared for. Looked for a long time before I jumped at this. I was in the motor trade for a while on the commercial side, and even I got taken in with this van.

Within a short period I had to replace the windscreen wiper motor mechanism assembly. The spindle that drives the driver's side wiper arm seized - a common fault apparently. (Peugeot price £323.00 + VAT for the unit excluding fitting. Got it from a Fiat dealer for £99.00 including VAT and £10 shipping) This year the alternator failed. (Peugeot price £534 for the alternator + £30 for belts + VAT, excluding labour. Opted for an new alternator (not refurbished) for £150 including belts and VAT.) The turbo intercooler pipe was rusty and developed a hole (£354 from Peugeot + VAT. Purchased from Coastal Motorhomes in Fiat packaging for £138.20 with next day delivery.) I opted to change the oil pump and sump as these are a problem area. (Ford and Landrover had a recall for engines built between 2011 and 2013 and replaced the oil pump and sump, (Sump and gasket £21.50 from a Transit spares center and £89 for an oil pump from our local motor factors.) PSA claim they don't know anything about oil pump failures - they don't have Ebay where there were numerous Relays, Boxers and Ducato's for sale as 'spares or repair' due to engine failures.

I'm fortunate as I did all the mechanical repairs myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Out and about today and I keep seeing a LWB Twin Axle Man Van. Man are owned by VW so its really just a Crafter. It would mean I could carry 1,000 litre tank and my Pressure Washer and all my other bits and bobs because it has a 2.5 ton carry limit.

If I keep going the way I am now then I will seriously consider it.

Thanks guys, spruce that's pretty unlucky! 

I am kinda swaying towards the Vivaro as it's spacious and had good reports about it, but then dispatches and exert seem good too, keep changing my mind,  may have to deliberate for a bit longer. 

Spruce do you think your better off buying a secondhand van with 90k miles or 130k, reason I ask this is because a lot of stuff goes wrong around 100k i.e bearings, suspension ect. Once it gets to 130k a lot of stuff might of been replaced to keep it on the road.

Spruce do you think your better off buying a secondhand van with 90k miles or 130k, reason I ask this is because a lot of stuff goes wrong around 100k i.e bearings, suspension ect. Once it gets to 130k a lot of stuff might of been replaced to keep it on the road.

I agree. But I'm staring 70 years old in the face and can't afford a new van or a lower mileage one with finance attached. Its the same as asking an 80 year old to apply for a 25 year mortgage. Whilst my credit score is good and our mortgage is paid off, I see myself as a higher risk. The best years of my life are behind me. Its not a nice fact to face but its the reality.

The previous van I had I purchased had 33k on the clock and was 4 years old.  Even that had a few issues. It went through 3 front wheel bearing before I found a second hand hub assembly, fitted that, and that sorted the problem. This van was an 04 plate and the joke among the MOT guys every year was which would get the the end first, me or the van.

Last year the MOT inspector came to me and asked if I wanted the good news or the bad news. I asked for the good news. He said I have outlasted the van. I asked him for the bad news. He replied that I had outlasted the van.

Under normal circumstances I would never buy a high mileage van but I've had to change my mind this time.

Back in the early 2000's we were selling a brand new 1.9D Citroen Relay for £7995 + VAT. Now the same category van is 3 times the price. At one time we could never do a lease on a new van for over 100k as no finance house would do the deal. Now we are seeing leasing deals for 150k because of the new vehicle price.

That 150k van is finding its way onto the market and still fetching way over what I accept is a reasonable price.

I always worry about ex BT/AA/Postman ect, I used to work for a haulage company, not many drivers looked after the vehicles they were issued. Ideally a one owner van, with lots of service history is what I look for. 

Thanks in advance. 
Just bear in mind the 1.6hdi is the PSA engine shared by Ford & Peugout and was in their cars.  No end of trouble with turbo's blowing due to oil starvation because of carbon build up caused by the oil feed pipe passing too close to the DPF. Poor design.  Regular oil changes - 6 months/6000 miles would be essential on these.  You might get lucky and get one without the dpf (some of the 90bhp versions escaped it). In 2011/2012 they redesigned the 1.6tdci to an 8v engine and re routed the oil feed pipe away from the dpf so later versions will be fine.  Apart from that a solid engine.

2 sided door van.  access both sides  , big advantage  for me as  I get out on right hand side in my driveway,      right hand side door is vital for me, filling up tank etc, charging battery, all accessed from the side right  door

Dispatch

Just bear in mind the 1.6hdi is the PSA engine shared by Ford & Peugout and was in their cars.  No end of trouble with turbo's blowing due to oil starvation because of carbon build up caused by the oil feed pipe passing too close to the DPF. Poor design.  Regular oil changes - 6 months/6000 miles would be essential on these.  You might get lucky and get one without the dpf (some of the 90bhp versions escaped it). In 2011/2012 they redesigned the 1.6tdci to an 8v engine and re routed the oil feed pipe away from the dpf so later versions will be fine.  Apart from that a solid engine.

Funny that the 1.6hdi gave trouble in the vans. I don't recall any issues with the 1.6hdi in the Picasso. PSA said they redesigned the sump and that solved the problem as they blamed incorrect servicing procedures. ????? Didn't make sense to me.

I always worry about ex BT/AA/Postman ect, I used to work for a haulage company, not many drivers looked after the vehicles they were issued. Ideally a one owner van, with lots of service history is what I look for. 

BT van were always a good choice in days gone by. They had a sole driver and the driver was responsible for his van.Downside was that BT blue was BT's chosen colour and Citroen vans were special factory order due to customer paint.

The paint code on my son's van doesn't match us with anything.

AA & RAC were generally in good condition but are mostly high milers. RAC in Orange and AA in yellow.  What I liked about the Transits were that they were T300's and had a rear tailgate as apposed to barn doors.

IMHO orange isn't a colour I would choose for my window cleaning van. We have had a couple ex RAC vans used in our area and they just look out of place.

Would never touch a Post Office van. I have never seen one that's not been mistreated. However, we have a couple of 07 plate Vauxhall Combos running around. The paint has faded but they are still going strong.

Going for a second hand van then I would go for an ex British Gas at auction. They all have trackers in them so the drivers can't hammer them nomore. I'm looking at a twin axle panel van and only Man seem to do them. With an accountant beginning in April I may bite the bullet and go for a new one if I continue to be this busy. That's the thing about this game, you get a new customer and they tell their neighbour and soon you have half a dozen in that area. It just seems to grow exponentially adding a new customer every week.

Going for a second hand van then I would go for an ex British Gas at auction. They all have trackers in them so the drivers can't hammer them nomore. I'm looking at a twin axle panel van and only Man seem to do them. With an accountant beginning in April I may bite the bullet and go for a new one if I continue to be this busy. That's the thing about this game, you get a new customer and they tell their neighbour and soon you have half a dozen in that area. It just seems to grow exponentially adding a new customer every week.
I presume the van you are on about is a twin wheeler with a single rear axle. (2 wheels and tyres on each side.)

Before you jump in you must check out tachograph regulations above 3500kgs and also check what inspection intervals are. 3500kgs to 7500kgs used to have a 3 month inspection cycle depending on mileage. I would imagine the regulations are the same in Scotland.

Cost of testing and servicing is also higher.

I have an old driver's licence that allows me to drive up to 7.5t. Young drivers need another class to drive these. I seem to think this doesn't apply to you.

Funny that the 1.6hdi gave trouble in the vans. I don't recall any issues with the 1.6hdi in the Picasso. PSA said they redesigned the sump and that solved the problem as they blamed incorrect servicing procedures. ????? Didn't make sense to me.
I'm only really familiar with the DV6 in the Ford's. I heard the original sump was designed in such a way that when oil was drained there would always be a small amount that wouldn't drain out along with crud which made the issue worse as far as I'm aware.  The route cause was the narrow oil feed pipe running past the hot DPF which cooked the oil, leading to massive carbon build up and oil starvation to the turbo. Part of the fix would possibly have included a replacement sump (?) , re designed oil feed pipe (wider) but still oil change every 6 months/6k would be advised on these to minimise carbon build up.

Thanks in advance. 
Get a Ford Transit

Get a Ford Transit
Apparently there is a Ford website that one can get onto that will tell what recalls were applicable to that van and what have been done.

It's the Ford Etis website.

The mk7 Transits were also subject to that oil pump recall that were manufactured between 2011 and 2013 if it has the 2.2 Ford engine. If it has the 2.0 tdci engine they aren't affected.

I have a Crafter and I am usually £260 for a pair of front tyres. Got a pair fitted today and paid £160 because they are not continental but may be made in their factory so I'm told. fwiw

My mate runs a tyre fitters  

When I had my old tranny I never paid more than £30 per wheel 

It's not what you know but who you know lol.

My bipper I get them for 120 for all 4 wheels lol

Back